News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV - Ultima  (Read 76291 times)

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
    • 8-bit fan's Hacking Projects
Re: Final Fantasy IV - Ultima
« Reply #200 on: August 06, 2020, 04:41:05 pm »
Ultima is great fun!

One thing I noticed though, the two patches are different sizes.  Is there more going on than just the header, or is the no-header made using a headered ROM meaning most of the original ROM data exists in the patch?
Hi Chronosplit! :)
Thanks for the kind words and glad you are having fun with it! :)

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
I have resubmitted the zip to the site to include a no-header patch that is compliant.

Thanks so much again for letting me know! And hope that you are enjoying the hack also! :)

Cheers! :beer:

8-bit fan
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 07:13:38 pm by 8.bit.fan »
In the year of 200X, a super robot named Mega Man...
http://www.8bitfan.info/
FF4 Ultima Discord: https://discord.gg/4MqjwJt

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 07, 2020, 09:14:33 am »
So much for version 7 being final!  :laugh:

Currently playing through the latest version and the changes are interesting. I'm liking it.

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 07, 2020, 04:52:25 pm »
So much for version 7 being final!  :laugh:

Currently playing through the latest version and the changes are interesting. I'm liking it.
Hi lexluthermiester! :)
LOL! I'm very glad that you are finally able to check out the hack!! :D Hope you're enjoying it and feel free to reach out if you have any comments and/or questions!

Cheers!!  :beer: :thumbsup:
8-bit fan

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 08, 2020, 08:03:43 am »
Hi lexluthermiester! :)
LOL! I'm very glad that you are finally able to check out the hack!! :D Hope you're enjoying it and feel free to reach out if you have any comments and/or questions!

Cheers!!  :beer: :thumbsup:
8-bit fan
Was teasing of course. I've been keeping up on the updates. I'm glad you continued as there have been some very interesting and fun additions put in.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 11:37:25 am by lexluthermiester »

Dakitty

• You've got kitten on you
    • View Profile
    • Give monies 4 vidz 'n art plz
« Reply #204 on: August 10, 2020, 11:33:15 am »
I just finished 100%ing this newest version, and I gotta say...

No spoilers but I dislike the reward for beating a certain octet of magical animals. =P

All hail Edward, godking of Globe199 (only way I've found to legit beat it)

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 11, 2020, 06:36:16 pm »
Hey, Dakitty.

Congratulations on actually winning that fight. The honest truth is that we didn't think it would be possible without cheating, but we were proven wrong about a week ago. We are actually working on a more legitimate reward as we speak to make up a minor update in the sort-of near future. That may or may not be very satisfying to hear, but so it is.
If it makes you feel any better, while the reward may be somewhat insulting to players who win the fight legitimately, it does prove conclusively that the fight has been won.
Spoiler:
The name "cheater" is not something that can actually be entered into the Namingway screen. Too many letters to spell out with normal characters, and the "er" character is not available in the Namingway screen. Also, as Golbez and Anna are also renamed "Cheater," this represents the only way that those two characters can ever be renamed.
So, despite the tone, the "reward" is the mark of a winner.
That being said, as I said, we are working on a better reward.
 :beer:
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Dakitty

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 12, 2020, 12:23:28 pm »
No worries, I was just having a spot of fun. I love the namingway comments if you try and chat with him afterward, as a child of the Regan years. The first time I got hit with the tsunami x8 though, I dropped my jaw.

That being said, I left a comment in the 11.1 post with some feedback. Hope some of it might be taken to heart. We already have the crystal shop and ultima above ultima, so I think it's pretty good on gear rewards.  :beer:

Sentinel78

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 17, 2020, 09:01:37 pm »
Hi Rabbi Raccoon!
Thanks for checking out the hack and sorry that you couldn't get the patch working...
I'll send you a PM with a working version so please check it out and let me know if you have further questions.

Feel free to reach out if you have any comments and/or suggestions!

Cheers! :beer: :thumbsup:
8-bit fan

Howdy - was there any solution to this? I am having same problem. The Title screen comes up, I click B button, and then the sound continues but screen fades to black and nothing happens. Thanks!

Janus

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 21, 2020, 11:49:52 pm »
Any idea what Bane does for Dark Knight Cecil? I read through the notes and spell notes etc., and couldn't figure out what it does. It seems to be a basic attack. Does it do more damage, if so, what's the drawback?

kaine23

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 22, 2020, 12:15:50 am »
Still one the best hacks ive played in its many versions, and glad i was able to do a review of this on my blog.

Dakitty

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 25, 2020, 04:33:08 pm »
@Janus The Bane ability does a fair bit of extra damage at the cost of a hefty fraction of Cecil's hp (1/6th or 1/8th, I forget). The problems, however, are threefold. First, the damage cap may have been extended, but is still there. Second, the power of physical attacks on enemies that can take that kind of abuse is absurd, to the point where even using Ultima, Ultima II, or Apocalypse twice over won't net Bane max damage, but you better believe that 1000+ hp you may have spent to use it will put Cecil on the fast path to a not so peaceful nap in the dirt. DK Cecil is probably best used until you defeat everything but the Black Dragon and the boss rush, then switch back to Pal so you can enjoy all-wall and mighty guard.

Forgot the third point. It doesn't hesitate to kill you.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 11:19:09 am by Dakitty »

CatSlobber

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 26, 2020, 10:02:32 am »
I've been keeping up with this hack and it's super fun! Was wondering, though, if you or someone else could figure out if it's possible to modify overworld sprites to be 16x24 instead of the regular smaller 16x16. Final Fantasy Record Keeper features almost all of the overworld sprites for all characters as well as the NPCs. Could make for a much more modern hack.

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 26, 2020, 05:52:35 pm »
Hi Everyone!  :)
Sorry for the late reply as we've been busy with all the updates for the hack. Now that that's all done with, let me try my best to answer some of your questions...

I just finished 100%ing this newest version, and I gotta say...

No spoilers but I dislike the reward for beating a certain octet of magical animals. =P

All hail Edward, godking of Globe199 (only way I've found to legit beat it)
Hi Dakitty!
Yeah, sorry about that! In that version, it's as chillfeez has said and the reward was rushed as we didn't take into account for the possibility of it actually being beatable! In v11.5, this has been rectified and we have created a VERY special reward for those that are actually able to beat that fight. Hope you'll get to check it out! :)

Howdy - was there any solution to this? I am having same problem. The Title screen comes up, I click B button, and then the sound continues but screen fades to black and nothing happens. Thanks!
Hi Sentinel78!
This sounds like an issue with the patching. Make sure you apply the patch to a clean v1.1 of an FF2US rom. Hope this helps! :)

Any idea what Bane does for Dark Knight Cecil? I read through the notes and spell notes etc., and couldn't figure out what it does. It seems to be a basic attack. Does it do more damage, if so, what's the drawback?
Hi Janus!
Bane is a guaranteed Critial Hit attack for DKC, at the cost of some of his HP. This might seem superfluous at first but will come in very handy at endgame. :)

Still one the best hacks ive played in its many versions, and glad i was able to do a review of this on my blog.
Hi kaine23!
Thanks so much again for the kind words!! Love the review you have put up on your blog! :)

I've been keeping up with this hack and it's super fun! Was wondering, though, if you or someone else could figure out if it's possible to modify overworld sprites to be 16x24 instead of the regular smaller 16x16. Final Fantasy Record Keeper features almost all of the overworld sprites for all characters as well as the NPCs. Could make for a much more modern hack.
Hi CatSlobber!
Thanks so much for the kind words and we are very glad that you are having a good time with the hack! :)
Regarding modifying overworld sprites - it's a great idea! It'll definitely be something that would require quite a bit of work as the tiles in FF4 are 16x16. But I'll jot this down and see if it's a possibility for later. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Thanks everyone and I apologize again for the delayed response!
Hope you'll all continue to enjoy the hack! :thumbsup:

Cheers!! :beer:

8.bit.fan

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 27, 2020, 02:38:31 am »
I forgot who it was but there was a project a while back that was upgrading the battle sprites and *I think* also the backgrounds to bring them up to par with the GBA rerelease.
Also, that FF2 pseudo-remake Mato translated has upgraded monster sprites.
As long as you're planning on looking into using larger map sprites, how about a look at graphics upgrades in general?
It's low priority, but it would be a hell of a cherry on top at the end.

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 27, 2020, 03:35:00 am »
I forgot who it was but there was a project a while back that was upgrading the battle sprites and *I think* also the backgrounds to bring them up to par with the GBA rerelease.
As long as you're planning on looking into using larger map sprites, how about a look at graphics upgrades in general?
The 4BPP backport project?

nanashi89

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 27, 2020, 03:15:26 pm »
Any cheats for this that work? Am on Retroarch.

Dakitty

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 28, 2020, 11:58:23 am »
When in combat, go to the item screen and select a blank space, then select it and scroll all the way up to the top, then hit up one more time to select a weapon and/or shield. Select it to unequip it, then run out of combat. Equip whatever you want/can to the slot that got disarmed and boom, duplication. Rinse and repeat as many times as you like. You can do this multiple times per combat. Best of luck!

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 28, 2020, 02:54:35 pm »
The 4BPP backport project?

I think maybe yes.

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 29, 2020, 11:39:22 am »
I remember that 8.bit.fan asked Gedankenschild for help in order to apply the expanded palettes of their mod to the Ultimate mod. As far as I remember Gedankenschild has been absent, for quite some time by now.

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 01, 2020, 12:58:20 am »
Any cheats for this that work? Am on Retroarch.
I have found that most GameGenie codes work, but not all, you'll to test each one you want to use. Same with ProActionReplay codes. Both ZSNES and SNES9X have cheat search functionality built in so finding your own codes is doable.