News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV - Ultima  (Read 47691 times)

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
    • 8-bit fan's Hacking Projects
Re: Final Fantasy IV - Ultima
« Reply #160 on: December 29, 2019, 05:28:23 pm »
This looks to have solved the issue, as yes, it looks like I was incorrectly applied the non-headered patch on a headered ROM.  Things are up and running well now -- thanks for the prompt response! :D
You're welcome!
Enjoy the rest of the hack!! :D

Cheers!! :beer:

8-bit fan
In the year of 200X, a super robot named Mega Man...
http://www.8bitfan.info/
FF4 Ultima Discord: https://discord.gg/4MqjwJt

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 31, 2019, 12:53:41 am »
Got your message 8.bit.fan, and thanks!

I just beat the Dark Elf. I know the game is supposed to be Vanilla+, but it is awfully easy so far. Fighting some of the dragons in the extra new areas were a small challenge but it wasn't especially hard.

I hear late game content ramps up, but it would be really cool to see more difficulty and AI changes throughout the hack too. Especially for some bosses. For example, after being surprised with a few new enemies, when I got to Octomammon and Antlion, and even Fabul, I was kinda let down there wasn't as much remixed content.

All in all though, really fun hack so far! Thanks to everyone who helped out so far  :beer:

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 31, 2019, 04:44:41 am »
Got your message 8.bit.fan, and thanks!

I just beat the Dark Elf. I know the game is supposed to be Vanilla+, but it is awfully easy so far. Fighting some of the dragons in the extra new areas were a small challenge but it wasn't especially hard.

I hear late game content ramps up, but it would be really cool to see more difficulty and AI changes throughout the hack too. Especially for some bosses. For example, after being surprised with a few new enemies, when I got to Octomammon and Antlion, and even Fabul, I was kinda let down there wasn't as much remixed content.

All in all though, really fun hack so far! Thanks to everyone who helped out so far  :beer:
Hi Celice! :)
You got it! And thanks so much for the kind words again! Much appreciated!! :)

Thanks for the suggestions and noted! It really is hard to strike a good balance in regards to the game's difficulty because I actually have nerf'd the first half of the game quite a few times since earlier versions due to feedback from the more casual players saying that it was too hard! :D So as it stands, the first half of the game is mostly easy, but it ramps up later on and by endgame it gets pretty tough.... so hopefully you'll find the endgame content much more satisfying to your liking! But I'll definitely keep your suggestion in mind :)

Hope you'll enjoy the rest of the hack! :)

Cheers!! :beer: :thumbsup:

8-bit fan

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 05, 2020, 08:10:13 pm »
Okay, I think I've hit my ceiling with the hack.

I cannot get past the AI in the moon core. Once I get it near death, it auto-resurrects the healer droid way too often, and the droid sometimes castes vitality three times in a row before I can kill him. This outpaces my highest damage dealer, Edge, who throwing Ninja stars only deals about 5500 damage. The three vitalities heal the boss about 18000. This loop never ceases.

The game no longer engages me as a player and I'm just holding fast forward, trying to get through battles. So at this point I'm no longer having fun.

I'm level 70. I had to look up how to beat Raiden. Even with the Namingway hint, I didn't have any idea that would be the solution and like others thought I just had to grind.

There is a huge disparity between the balance of the new side bosses and the vanilla content, and this extreme pendulum swing doesn't help the player adjust or learn how to deal with these battles.

I'm gonna go ahead and stop playing the hack now. I ended up grinding 15-20 levels on pink puffs and using 88 sirens in that session.

I was hoping for a lot more new content in the early game but it feels like most changes are in the last 5% of the game, with that 5% taking far more effort than the previous 95%.

Now I love difficult hacks, but this was more tedious and punishing than difficult. There was nothing to overcome and it felt more like I was trying to rig the AI turns to not screw me over :(

Thank you for your work on the project.

DracoSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 06, 2020, 02:14:55 am »
@Celice:

Spoiler:
Did you have Kain equipped with a Wooden Hammer use Focus on his Turn? Did you Equip Cecil and Rosa with Morning Stars? Did you try out Edge's Ninja spell? It's basically a multitarget Fast spell. Pale Dim can sometimes drop a Chicken Knife. Did you get it, equip it on Rydia and used the Imp summon on the AI?...

Cataplexis

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 09, 2020, 06:34:35 pm »
Question about Carrots and Fat Chocobo.

How do they work? I cannot seem to use them in any Chocobo Forest to summon the Fat Chocobo so I can store items as my inventory is full before the Magnetic Cave. Whenever I try to use one it is greyed out and says "Cannot be used here"

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 13, 2020, 02:39:50 pm »
Question about Carrots and Fat Chocobo.

How do they work? I cannot seem to use them in any Chocobo Forest to summon the Fat Chocobo so I can store items as my inventory is full before the Magnetic Cave. Whenever I try to use one it is greyed out and says "Cannot be used here"
Hi Cataplexis! :)
This appears to be an issue with the patching.
I have sent you a PM with detailed instructions on what needs to be done to fix the problem. :)

Hope it works out and feel free to reach out at anytime if you have further questions! :)

8-bit fan

Rudy

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 23, 2020, 03:31:25 pm »
I've been wanting to play this hack for a while, went to patch using 6.0b that i had downloaded a few days ago but I decided to check the project page just to be sure.... ver 7 is out ;)

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 24, 2020, 04:11:39 am »
I've been wanting to play this hack for a while, went to patch using 6.0b that i had downloaded a few days ago but I decided to check the project page just to be sure.... ver 7 is out ;)
Wait version 7 now? I thought it was going to be final already?  :huh:

J/K  ;)

Seriously though, is this one final? Been waiting to put it on my SNES-mini until it's final..

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 24, 2020, 03:43:21 pm »
Hi Rudy!
Thanks for the interest in checking out the hack and hope that you'll enjoy it immensely! :)
Feel free to reach out if you have any questions and/or comments! :)
Wait version 7 now? I thought it was going to be final already?  :huh:

J/K  ;)

Seriously though, is this one final? Been waiting to put it on my SNES-mini until it's final..
Hi lexluthermiester! :)
Thanks for the continual support and interest in this hack! :)
Yes, I know there's been lots of updates, most of the recent ones are suggestions and requests from the players in the community so hopefully more and more people will get to enjoy it! :)
Not to jinx it or anything, but barring any bugfixes and other minor updates, v7.0a should be the close to its final form. It's safe to say that I think you can finally get this on your SNES-mini and give it a whirl! ;)

Hope you'll enjoy it lots and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions and/or comments!
Discord: https://discord.gg/4MqjwJt

8-bit fan
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 03:53:07 pm by MathOnNapkins »

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 01, 2020, 01:23:09 am »
Hello 8.Bit.fan. I've been far too busy lately but this weekend I have time to try out your hack. I wanted to give full details on my thought as I go along. It has come along so far since I last looked into it. At that time it didn't feel too different from Vanilla, but here it seems like there is a bit more put into it, quite a bit more!

The intro looks the same, but the extended auto combat was rather neat, seeing Cecil use a variety of items to take out the threats.

It appears as if Cecil starts with a decent kit of battle items, though I question why a MagicMap (the most useless spell and item unfortunately...) is given in this. Did you want to change either of those to play a different event? Hopefully the Scanner will be a bit more useful than they are in the normal game.

Hmm, the new design of the magic rooms is interesting. I suppose it was to conserve space? The carpet works well to not distract from the missing pots.

...I am shocked I can go into the Baron Sewers! Granted there's only one... dead? Fellow at the door. How interesting, all the same.

Heh, Hilda as Cid's daughter's name... a fine FFIX reference.

Oh! You changed the world map, neat! Kain has magic, eh? Ah, you made Scan into Sight, good idea!

The Beginner's Hall is great, a lot of fantastic foreshadowing along with some really useful knowledge. Making Machines weak to Blunt weapons is a great idea. I also enjoy the FFI reference that White Mages can equip Hammers.

Oh! I just now noticed that Cecil dual wields, was not expecting that! Is that an FFIII Dark Knight reference?

A slight glitch here... if you dequip the Iron Ring from Kain, you cannot requip it as it seems he cannot equip IronRings in the first place.

Haha! Despite playing this mod before, I did forget the Mist Dragon rematch. That is a clever way to make sure you don't strip Kain.

Hah. So Rydia can equip the Buckler, neat. She also starts with the Change Staff, hmm... that might be interesting to note down the line to have an instant Pig Spell on command.

That's quite the weapon shop! That's a nice touch.

Hmm, the Wind Spear is 3000 GP... that's a lot of money for this point. But it may have been planned around selling it.

Strange noises near the mountains south-east of here, hmm... Ah, I see it, that will require an airship.

Charm? That's an early one for Rydia, interesting though.

Blood Sword, quite early for that. That should be fun. I also got a Cursed Ring from a Zombie, I'll check that out... it doesn't do anything, so likely sets Absorb so I'll keep it in mind once I get some resist equipment.

OctoMamm wasn't much to speak of. Though seeing Recall using the level 2 magics was nice and a little helpful.

Hmm, I expected a bit better of a treasure for seeking out the secret Chocobo Forest than a Buckler, haha.

Oh! New cave after following the new shoals path, great!

I love the Feymarch theme, it is incredibly unused in the original game, so any chance to hear it more is wonderful. The trapped chest was a nice challenge with a fresh Edward, Rydia, and Cecil. I managed to put Toad and the Fire Arrows to good use! Another Cursed Ring is a bit of a let-down though, but it might be useful down the line.

Time to check out the second cave then, this was a Great idea to utilize the Hovercraft to its real potential, well done!

Wow, this fight with the Cave Bats and Succubus can be tricky this early, let's see here... The Change Rod can be used on the Succubus, so let's see how to deal with the Bats... One FireBomb took care of the Succubus and I managed to bring the Bats down with Sleep and Fire Arrows, along with the Blood Sword, still a tense fight with a great prize!

The CaveNaga's give a decent fight and give another excellent reward. All in all these side areas were excellent additions and allow veterans to get some nifty gifts early...

Whoa what?! I can visit Silvera this early?!

The Dancing Dagger this soon? Hmm... yeah I'll pick it up, along with a Hand Axe.

Onto the Antlion Cave... ah, the Thunder Rod, that's early, but fitting. The Dancing Dagger makes short work of most things. The Whip may lose its effectiveness in short order, unfortunately, especially since the accuracy wasn't really increased, nor does it give any bonuses (Agility may have been a nice incentive).

Ohh! New part of Mt. Hobbs. Ehh... I already bought a HandAxe, bah.

And suddenly Gilgamesh out of nowhere! I was wondering why there was that new section of Mt. Hobbs. Hmm, I either failed to defeat him in time or I was too cautious and caught off guard. I'll try that again. Alright, he has Max HP, clearly you're not supposed to beat him yet. haha.

Talk about lucky! One battle I got the Cockatrice summon, the very next battle with 6 Imps and I got the Imp Summon, terrific!

Whoa! I can sell the M-Potion for 50000 GP! That would solve money issues for quite a while. I'll see if I'll ever need that kind of GP fast.

Some sea battles on the way to Leviathan is a great touch! I already dequipped the team though, I hope I don't end up regretting that, haha. Some fun fights, though not difficult. Still it was nice to have some mandatory fights with this party setup.

Overall I'm enjoying it. There's enough different here to hold my attention. If I have one complaint, its the use of the Big Chocobo in a vanilla sense, especially since it seems you get a larger equipment pool to play around with in the first part of this game, the inventory crunch becomes a bit more annoying early on than in the normal game where a Chocobo Forest is a flight away.

February 02, 2020, 04:51:18 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Well, Milon 1 wasn't that bad and the weakness to Darkness that Cecil now has because of his armor was only a slight hindrance, no problems there. I used Boast quite a few times and defeated the Revenants with Cecil using Hand Axes. I then used two Fire-2's to take out Milon and a Fire Arrow to take out the last Revenant with Porom. Levels were 14 Porom, 14 Palom, 19 Cecil, 22 Tellah.

Milon Z was quite simple. Not much change there. I cast Blink to keep Cecil safe after I saw him get hit for 200 damage from a physical attack, used Boast a couple of times and hit Milon with the Hand Axes a couple of times. After a bit of healing I used Recall and got Virus, used Fire 2, and a couple more physical strikes and it was done.

Paladin Cecil has Fortify eh? Increases Defense and Magic Defense and heals him by 10%?? Is that a new command? I would be curious to see the code associated with it. Not being a Dark Knight and losing my ability to dual wield is quite an interesting thought...

Hmm... I have to admit I expected a dungeon for Serpent's Road. Ah well.

Well, I'll check out Mist before getting Yang... some interesting stuff at the stores here in Mist!

The Gold Hairpin is nice, but the Change Rod seems a little arbitrary since we have had one since the start of the game. Wow! The Power Staff raises Strength by 10, awesome!

The Flail is pretty great too. +3 Agi, Wisdom and Will. I like the symbol used for it as well.

You reimplemented the cut Yang details, always nice.

Well Baigan seemed... even easier than normal. His arms basically went down in one hit. I just used Boast and didn't strike his main body with magic, while I used the Power Staff to Berserk Cecil and go from there. SilverSeed's a nice gift, all the same along with the Silver Shield since he was once a guard.

Cagnazzo was respectfully challenging. His water gather requires you to be ready with a ZeusRage and if you use Slow you have a little more time. His Vitalize heals 700 HP, which is high, but works very well and forces you to use a big spell to finish the fight. Over all a solid fight.

Ah, new cave south of Baron, I'll check it out... Green Dragon, hmm... let's try this then...

Well, it took quite a few tries, but I managed to bring it down with a couple Viruses and Focus attacks, while healing Tellah when necessary. A rather thrilling fight, nice work. A DwarfAxe is a good prize for it.

I have to say, seeing the world map in total, you've done a great job making that Hovercraft hook look useful. So many areas are inaccessible right now. Great work!

I will call it here though. You've done a wonderful job thus far.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 04:51:18 am by Grimoire LD »

Pape29018

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 05, 2020, 02:53:08 pm »
Would it be possible to name the nameless soldiers Biggs and Wedge in the opening intro? In Final Fantasy IV: The After Years reveals the two Red Wings soldiers who questions Cecil about their action in Mysidia are Biggs and Wedge.

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 08, 2020, 09:23:55 am »

Back to it then! Oh, you only need one carrot to call the Fat Chocobo and it's not used up, I guess that's why Carrot is made into Carrot. Alright that's much better.

I'll head to Eblan and see how that goes.

A Magazine in Eblan, eh? Well I guess FFIV:DS did a similar thing with the "Ninja Sutras".

The Stoneman went down from a Gale and the Dwarf Axe and though it was precarious all around, with Cure2 and Auto-Covering the critical team (every single person but Cecil) I was able to give Tellah the time to cast Fire3 on the Skuldiers and win. The unused Assassin Dagger was a pretty great reward.

LunarGem? What?

The Lamia and Couerls seemed a little more difficult than normal, but the Assassin Dagger allowed me to win, if only just so.

I do hope the Drain Spear is more useful in this version...

Time-Egg? Am I suddenly playing Chrono Trigger?

Well the Ogres did not appear to be susceptible to Mini, or maybe Tellah's Will was too low to hit them reliably. They were quite difficult to bring down, they hit hard but Cid's DwarfAxe dealt respectable damage.

That LunarGem sure sells for a pretty penny! 63,500 GP is quite a large amount.

A Grimoire from the Troian Chocobo Forest! That's quite a gift!

The King Pub didn't seem to have much difference, but the Troian Palace outside lost a few of its frogs and was lowered in size all around.

Whoa! Was not expecting a new boss battle and a new sprite (from FFV) here! That's pretty cool!

Surprisingly weak to Thunder, not too difficult of a fight, using Soft to heal Petrify, keeping Cover on Cid who attacks the Vulture and using Lit-3 to take out the Cockatrices and hitting the Vulture hard for over 3000 damage with Lit-3.

I guess it makes sense for the Gaea Hammer to be in the Earth-based Cave instead of the Air Fortress, haha!

The Kaiser Claws sure seem good! Poison, Blind, Silence, and Charm? Talk about an upgrade from Fairy Claws!

That's not the sprite for the Dark Elf... hmm...  only now do I realize I forgot to get the TwinHarp...

Well, the magic routine for the Dark Elf was removed, odd choice but I guess it went to another boss instead of the game-over scenario. I... mean, uh... I was testing that scenario yeah... haha, that's it...

Dark Elf wasn't too bad. There were no real surprises and Blaze was easy enough to heal off.

Oh! I almost forgot about that new mountain that you can get to with the Black Chocobo.

This is a nice area! The illusion of a floating island is really well done here!

Wow, I cannot beat these dragons... fair enough, I'll remember it for later.

Whew! Managed to beat the Clapper at least, it took quite a bit of doing. I started with a Spider Web and used Focus, dealing roughly around 900 damage, while trying to keep Cecil and Tellah healing. After quite some time I barely managed to win after Cecil went down and Tellah was down to Literally one HP.

I'm not sure if much was done to the Magus Sisters fight. I did notice that Cindy used Refresh instead of Life... unless she always did. The Delta Attack seemed faster, but I didn't start with a Spider Web, which I probably should have, haha. All in all, a good fight. Because you can't buy High Potions yet, it seems important to save them for this battle.

Tellah felt odd in this version... he never really seemed to have enough Will to be able to heal effectively, his offensive capabilities were fine though, but the Wizard equipment comes far too late to give him this option.

Valvalis wasn't anything too special. I slowed her and just whittled her down, using one of the 25 Softs I've gotten from enemies throughout to deal with Petrify and kept everyone a little healthy with Cure2. All in all, not bad.

TheComingCurse

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 10, 2020, 08:18:06 am »
I'm loving this hack so far, it's breathed new life into one of my favorites.  Though I seem to be running into a problem.  I farmed 5 pink tails and when I try to trade them in I lose all 5 of them and only get one suit of armor.  Is there something wrong? 

Thanks for your time.

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 10, 2020, 02:29:22 pm »
Would it be possible to name the nameless soldiers Biggs and Wedge in the opening intro? In Final Fantasy IV: The After Years reveals the two Red Wings soldiers who questions Cecil about their action in Mysidia are Biggs and Wedge.
Hi Pape29018!
This is actually a good suggestion ... stay tuned for the next update! :)
I'm loving this hack so far, it's breathed new life into one of my favorites.  Though I seem to be running into a problem.  I farmed 5 pink tails and when I try to trade them in I lose all 5 of them and only get one suit of armor.  Is there something wrong? 

Thanks for your time.
Hi TheComingCurse!
Thanks so much for the kind words! Very glad that you are enjoying the hack! :)
Yeah, unfortunately, that's a bug that's carried over from vanilla FF4. However, my team and I are working on a fix to that as we speak! Hopefully this issue will be resolved in the next update also! Stay tuned for it!! :)
Back to it then!...
... and of course, thanks so much for all your help and the nice playthrough/review as always Grimoire LD!! :D Loving your detailed analysis and review of the hack!! I look forward to your write up everytime so keep it coming!! :D :)  :thumbsup:

Thanks again everyone!
Enjoy the hack!!  :thumbsup: :beer:

8-bit fan

Dark Phoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 21, 2020, 09:15:13 pm »
It seems like every time I sit down to play this again, a new major version drops and I'm out of date.  I just made it to the Airship on version 7, and now version 8...

I've done the intro on versions 4, 5, 6 and 7 now.  I dunno if I want to do it again for 8...

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 21, 2020, 09:20:11 pm »
It seems like every time I sit down to play this again, a new major version drops and I'm out of date.  I just made it to the Airship on version 7, and now version 8...

I've done the intro on versions 4, 5, 6 and 7 now.  I dunno if I want to do it again for 8...
Hi Dark Phoenix!
Sorry about that! If you are on v7.xx you should get most of the experience of the game. Version 8 adds the Thief Gloves and a bunch of mostly polish. If you'd like, I can PM you the save file of the location your at so you don't need to start over.

Let me know! :)

Cheers! :beer: :thumbsup:
8-bit fan