News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV - Ultima  (Read 12791 times)

chillyfeez

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV - Ultima
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2018, 01:27:04 am »
So I last left off just after the Lugae fight (presumably, just before losing Yang, assuming there isn't a big curveball coming).
It's fun playing with all of the new equipment, but I have to say it so far has rendered Rydia's magic an afterthought. I haven't done much grinding, and Cecil, Kain and Yang are OHK'ing pretty much everything in Bab-il. Using the flail and the frost whip respectively, Rosa and Rydia are also formidable melee fighters. Maybe that will change a bit once I get to dungeons where all the monsters don't have the same weakness?
All of the extra equipment does make the limited inventory space a bit difficult to work with, too. Seems like by the time I finish any dungeon, I have to start making decisions about what I'm going to throw away. This was always a point of frustration in FFIV, but even more so now with all of the stuff the player can amass in one chapter of Ultima.
I'm curious to see what new bosses you've worked into the final acts, though, and I'll certainly keep you posted.

If and when you get to playing FFIV:TfW, let me know before you start. So far it is very much a WIP (only about a quarter to a third of the story has been produced thus far), and I'll want to make sure you have the most polished version available.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
    • 8-bit fan's Hacking Projects
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2018, 02:52:34 am »
Hey chillyfeez!
Thanks so much for the input! Yeah, I wanted to make the game 'fun', and not really make it a challenge until 2/3 into the game...but now that I've watched some others play it I might have gone too far in a few sections in the very last stretch of the game. I'm about to push out another update that relieves some of the pressure of the last segment including an additional save point. To avoid spoiling it, I'll ask you about what you think when you get there. ;)

Btw, if Yang hasn't blown up yet in your run, I'm pushing out an updated that'll make coming down from Babil less tedious. Stay tuned! ;)

December 06, 2018, 03:30:59 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Ok, the update just got posted. It's now version 1.20.
Please update your rom to this version when you all continue playing. Saves should work without problems.

Cheers!  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 03:30:59 pm by 8.bit.fan »
In the year of 200X, a super robot named Mega Man...

tampa03cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2018, 10:51:17 am »
Hey chillyfeez!
Thanks so much for the input! Yeah, I wanted to make the game 'fun', and not really make it a challenge until 2/3 into the game...but now that I've watched some others play it I might have gone too far in a few sections in the very last stretch of the game. I'm about to push out another update that relieves some of the pressure of the last segment including an additional save point. To avoid spoiling it, I'll ask you about what you think when you get there. ;)

Btw, if Yang hasn't blown up yet in your run, I'm pushing out an updated that'll make coming down from Babil less tedious. Stay tuned! ;)

December 06, 2018, 03:30:59 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Ok, the update just got posted. It's now version 1.20.
Please update your rom to this version when you all continue playing. Saves should work without problems.

Ok yeah, the AI is pretty tough, still working on whipping him.

Question below (spoilered)

Spoiler:
Curious just how rare you made the chicken knife? I have killed the evil masks on the floors before the AI for hours now (last count 112 kills). Is this just insanely bad luck, or was it intended to be this hard to attain? (If so, any chance you might be willing to tone that rarity down just a bit?). I did a second test (from another machine later this evening), 2 hours of evil masks (another 60-70), no chicken knife. Just lunar curtains.

Also curious if you added code that prevents you from attaining more than one pink tail? I noticed subsequent drops from Pink Flan after I got the first tail/adamant armor was Dry Ether or Elixir. Your damn evil, level scaling, robot of murder is making me farm like never before (I love it!)  Appreciate the info sir

« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 11:24:00 pm by tampa03cobra »

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2018, 06:48:20 pm »

Ok yeah, the AI is pretty tough, still working on whipping him.

Question below (spoilered)

Spoiler:
Curious just how rare you made the chicken knife? I have killed the evil masks on the floors before the AI for hours now (last count 112 kills). Is this just insanely bad luck, or was it intended to be this hard to attain? (If so, any chance you might be willing to tone that rarity down just a bit?). I did a second test (from another machine later this evening), 2 hours of evil masks (another 60-70), no chicken knife. Just lunar curtains.

Also curious if you added code that prevents you from attaining more than one pink tail? I noticed subsequent drops from Pink Flan after I got the first tail/adamant armor was Dry Ether or Elixir. Your damn evil, level scaling, robot of murder is making me farm like never before (I love it!)  Appreciate the info sir
Hi tampa03cobra! :)
Yeah the AI is tough,
Spoiler:
there's another secret boss after it that's even harder...but at least that one doesn't scale with your level
;) Good luck! Feel free to reach out for any help/hints!

Spoiler:
As for the Chicken Knife, yes it pretty much is THE hardest item to get in the game. It's the rarest drop from Evil Masks(and Pale Dim). So, each enemy will drop an item at a rate of 1/20, and for that item to be the rarest one is a rate of 1/64. So you have a 1/1280 chance for 1 Evil Mask to drop it. So on the average, depending on if you are fighting 1 or 2 Evil Masks in each battle, you should get the Chicken Knife after an average of 960 battles with the Evil Masks.
  :D However,
Spoiler:
the easiest way for a player to get the Chicken Knife would be to save right before fighting Pale Dim, then fight it until it drops the Chicken Knife. Since Pale Dim(and most bosses) always drop, you have a 1/64 chance to get it! This is how I got mine on my playthrough and I got the Chicken Knife after fighting Pale Dim about 7 times.

Pink Tails should be much easier to get/farm than before, as it's the rarest and the 2nd rarest drop for the Pink Puffs. That's a 12/64 chance of getting one for each Pink Puff you fight, and you fight 5 at once so you should be able to get it fairly painlessly with the Siren.

I've actually started to compile a complete drop list from all enemies from the hack. Once I have that finished I'll put it up on my site so stay tuned! http://8bitfan.info/

Btw, feel free to update the rom to version 1.20. Your save file should work just fine.

Cheers!! :thumbsup:

8-bit fan

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2018, 06:26:43 pm »
I'm part way through the lunar subterrane so far. Did you add more monster chests? Seems like there are more, but it's been a while since I played vanilla last. I liked the Raiden battle died a couple times before I realized what I was supposed to do.
Spoiler:
nice touch, putting a lit bolt in a chest not long before the battle
I haven't been through the whole dungeon yet, but I am enjoying it.

Latest Demo

Dark Phoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2018, 03:04:55 am »
I'm part way through the lunar subterrane so far. Did you add more monster chests? Seems like there are more, but it's been a while since I played vanilla last. I liked the Raiden battle died a couple times before I realized what I was supposed to do.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I died to Raiden a few times, and figured I would have to level up to be fast enough to beat him.  Then I thought about the Lit item in the chest just before him, and wondered "Is that what 8.bit.fan had in mind to beat this boss?

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2018, 07:26:20 pm »
Spoiler:
Hey chillyfeez!
Really glad to hear you are enjoying it! :)

Nope. I didn't add more monster chests, but I know what you mean as I forgot about how many there were also. I guess they really wanted to protect those Crystal equipment! ;)

Glad you liked the Raiden and good job at figuring it out! I actually left hints throughout the game on how to beat him especially one from one of the hummingways. And yes, the Lit Bolt is sort of a 'hint hint' to the players also. :)

How far are along now? Enjoy the endgame and be sure to update to the latest version 1.20 as I toned down the brutality of a certain 'situation' ;)

8-bit fan

December 16, 2018, 07:29:34 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Spoiler:
I died to Raiden a few times, and figured I would have to level up to be fast enough to beat him.  Then I thought about the Lit item in the chest just before him, and wondered "Is that what 8.bit.fan had in mind to beat this boss?
Hey Dark Phoenix!
Hope you are enjoying the hack as well! :)

Yeah, and I put it there also so that a player can use a Lightning attack on their first turn if they didn't have any lightning attack items at that moment. :)

Cheers and feel free to reach out if you have any questions and/or comments!  :thumbsup:

8-bit fan
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 07:34:27 pm by 8.bit.fan »

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2018, 12:01:07 am »
I had to take some time off, cuz Christmas = busy at home and work.
Anyway, I just beat the AI. It was tough, but only took me a couple tries to win.
Spoiler:
I did get three adamant armors first, equipped on Rosa, Rydia and Kain.

Other equipment:
Rydia: Stardust
Cecil: Hyperion
Edge: Murasame/Masamune
Kain: Avenger
Rosa: Artemis Arrows/(whatever bow I had that was strongest... Yoichi, maybe?)
Took the crystal's advice and equipped my best non-elemental weapons.

My strategy: opened with two shells and two safes from Cecil and Rosa, while Edge used masamune (or is it murasame?), to cast Fast on everyone except Kain. Then I kinda just spammed the Fight command, using Life Potion/Elixir anytime someone got Globe 199-ed. It took maybe twenty minutes or so.

Anyway, I'm curious - what about the AI actually scales (what stats are subject to improving), and how did you go about making the scaling happen?

December 30, 2018, 01:21:57 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
The Fatal Eyes guarding the Tempest blade say "I don't intent..." it should be "intend." Intent is a noun; intend is a verb.
Also, I never knew this, but apparently when you're back-attacked, the Condemn counter digits are shown backwards. It seems weird that I never experienced that before, but there you have it. In light of that fact, it might not be the best idea to have a fight with four Fatal Eyes be a forced back-attack.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 01:21:57 am by chillyfeez »

Latest Demo

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2019, 05:52:43 pm »
Hey chillyfeez!
Sorry didn't get to reply earlier, busy here as well with Christmas/New Years, etc. :)

You had a pretty good strategy vs the AI fight!
Spoiler:
For the quickest way win, because AI is a machine, using blunt weapons is your best bet as it deals 4x the damage. My personal strategy is to equip Kain with the Wooden(yes ;)) Hammer because it's the best non-elemental blunt weapon Kain can equip. Then I give Cecil the Morning Star. Don't worry about Rosa as she'll need to heal every round mostly. It doesn't matter so much for Edge as he should be throwing Ninja Stars or whatever strong weapons you can en mass :) but Murasame/Masamune works well for fight. Ultima works great but that would be if you want to re-fight the AI. Summoning or hitting the AI with spells would trigger deadly counters so don't do that. Rydia can cast Asura in the meantime until the end, then you can summon Bahamut for the final blow when the AI's HP goes below 9999. The AI fight scales because their Maser attack damage is based off your Max HP. So actually, the higher your levels the harder the fight becomes because Cure4 can only keep up with the damages so much...but it's never impossible. ;)

Thanks for catching that typo! I'll fix that up when I get around to the next release. :)

Yeah I noticed the backwards numbers too when I tested it...and decided to keep it as it adds more to the chaos ;)

Btw, what did you think of the fight vs
Spoiler:
Goddess
?

Any other suggestions? I'm all ears! :)

Cheers!!

8-bit fan

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2019, 11:38:27 pm »
I actually think I may have been too ideally equipped or overpowered for Goddess to be a problem. She kept trying to charm me, but it only seemed to work on Cecil and Edge (the other three had Adamant armor, so that probably kept them safe?).
Anyway, any time someone got charmed I used a panacea (of which I had a ton, since they're pretty common drops). Her damage attacks were pretty strong, but she only used them 25% of the time or so, and with Rosa un-charmable, recovery wasn't much of an issue.

Latest Demo

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2019, 04:08:53 pm »
LOL yeah if you had 3 Adamant Armors than Goddess wouldn't be much of a threat to you. :) And great job knowing to use panacea as it heals the entire party! I've watched streams of this and not one has thought to use panaceas during the fight...which would've made it much easier.

Anyhow, say, I think I'm finally ready to check out your hack. You said you have a latest version to send me?
You can send me the latest one via email.

Cheers!! :D

vivify93

• Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2019, 01:50:52 am »
Hey, 8.bit.fan! You might have noticed Rodimus Primal and I are updating the scripts of our base projects. I thought I'd pass the changes along to you. Sorry they're so numerous; my 6-year-old writing needed many tweaks, lol.

General Changes/Bank 1: https://pastebin.com/Q9Wa5RSR

Bank 2: https://pastebin.com/YJD8sRtg

Bank 3/Battle/Alerts: https://pastebin.com/VR7KhyY4

Edit - Bank 1/Message 150 is supposed to say "Consider this", not "Consider his"

Bank 1/Message 265 should say impostor, not imposter

Bank 1/Message 432 should say "at the summit", not "atthe summit"

Bank 1/Message 465 should say "dream", not "dreasm"
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 04:41:39 pm by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2019, 02:53:29 am »
Hey vivify93!
Good to hear from you and thanks so much for the info! :)

I am just about ready to release and update and this is a perfect timing! I'm just waiting for permission from Crow before I can release it as it will include the advanced menu that he developed!

Thanks again and much appreciated! :)

Cheers!! :beer:

8-bit fan

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2019, 10:47:18 pm »
Hi Everyone! :)
Just want to announce that I'm currently updating this hack and it's a big one!
I'm adding a bunch of new cool stuff that hopefully will be a lot of fun for the players!! :D

Stay tuned! I'll post more info soon and some screens! :) :thumbsup:

Cheers!! :beer:

8-bit fan

vivify93

• Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2019, 03:33:58 pm »
That's exciting! I bet it'll be worth the wait  :thumbsup:
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2019, 02:39:02 pm »
Cool. Looking forward to seeing what there is to come.

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2019, 03:39:57 am »
Thanks for the feedback everyone! :)
Stay tuned, I should have some screens ready to show soon! :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 05:36:47 am by 8.bit.fan »

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2019, 01:12:29 pm »
Hi everyone!

To anyone that's following this thread, I need a little help.
I'm wrapping up a big update to the hack and one of the additions is an OP weapon that has a base attack of 255 Str+15, however, if I equip the weapon on Edge with another weapon, the base attack overflows and gets rolled over to a very small amount. This doesn't happen if he is only using this OP weapon but he would be nerfed in his damage as a dual-wielding character's attack formula depends on actual dual-wielding.

Can anyone help me with this? Is there a way in the code to prevent the overflow of attack number?

Thanks in advance!! :)

8-bit fan

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2019, 01:35:57 pm »
Unfortunately, no. Not without some serious hacking, anyway. FFIV stores a character's attack power in a single byte, so 255 is the highest it can go. It'd likely be easier to hack in a way for this weapon to give extra multipliers than it would to avoid the overflow when used by edge (or any other two-hander)

You COULD make it a "two hand only" weapon, though. That would allow the player to equip it on any character, but not suffer the overflow with Edge. I mean, I'm sure you wanted it to be usable with a shield, but that is a possibility.

Latest Demo

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2019, 05:09:46 pm »
Unfortunately, no. Not without some serious hacking, anyway. FFIV stores a character's attack power in a single byte, so 255 is the highest it can go. It'd likely be easier to hack in a way for this weapon to give extra multipliers than it would to avoid the overflow when used by edge (or any other two-hander)

You COULD make it a "two hand only" weapon, though. That would allow the player to equip it on any character, but not suffer the overflow with Edge. I mean, I'm sure you wanted it to be usable with a shield, but that is a possibility.
Thanks for the input chillyfeez! :)
Right. However, making it 2-handed only would also make edge suffer because of his attack algorithm with using only 1 weapon.

All single handed characters:
All Weapons that Don't Involve a Bow and Arrow:
Base Attack Power = Weapon's Attack Power + Str/4 + Level/4

2 handed characters:
Edge (when he has both hands in use):
Base Attack Power = Weapon on Left Hand's Attack Power +
                    Weapon on Right Hand's Attack Power +
                    (Str/4 + Level/4)*2

Edge (one weapon on either hand):
Base Attack Power = Weapon's Attack Power

If there's a way to cap the attack power to 255 without overflowing that would solve the problem...

February 12, 2019, 05:38:01 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Or, maybe somehow I could have ATK displayed as '???' when the OP weapon is equipped, to not display the attack power...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 05:38:01 pm by 8.bit.fan »