News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV - Ultima  (Read 4471 times)

aml435

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV - Ultima
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2018, 04:02:51 pm »
Have you considered, if you have more ideas and need more space, using something like LunarExpand to expand the rom to give you more room to work with?

September 19, 2018, 02:21:21 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Also, I noticed that after the attack on Fabul, when the king gives you his sword, in the dialog, it's named Doom (sword icon), but in your inventory it's named (sword icon) DthBrngr.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 02:21:21 am by aml435 »

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
    • 8-bit fan's Hacking Projects
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2018, 03:47:23 pm »
Have you considered, if you have more ideas and need more space, using something like LunarExpand to expand the rom to give you more room to work with?

September 19, 2018, 02:21:21 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Also, I noticed that after the attack on Fabul, when the king gives you his sword, in the dialog, it's named Doom (sword icon), but in your inventory it's named (sword icon) DthBrngr.
Hi aml435,
Yes, that's actually one way to add more 'stuff' to the rom and I believe it's actually what the FF4ed editor does when editing the world maps. It moves the world map data from the original location in the rom and append the new data at the end by expanding the rom. That's why this hack is probably incompatible with some of the patches out there.

Thanks for pointing out the typo for the Deathbringer. This has actually been addressed in v1.0b so do check out the new patch! Old saves are compatible so no worries! :)

Cheers!  :beer:

Almon
In the year of 200X, a super robot named Mega Man...

aml435

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2018, 03:11:33 am »
Stumbled onto another small oddity. In the Sealed cave, a huge number of the rooms have been replaced with duplicated of one room with two treasure chests, though once you've opened the chests once, they are empty in all the other rooms.

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2018, 11:33:49 pm »
Stumbled onto another small oddity. In the Sealed cave, a huge number of the rooms have been replaced with duplicated of one room with two treasure chests, though once you've opened the chests once, they are empty in all the other rooms.
Hi there aml435!
Thanks for pointing that out. That's actually from the original version, except I have swapped the rooms so that they're not the empty room you used to enter anymore. It's been replaced with the room with the 2 chests.

Btw, I've updated the hack to version 1.0c. Do check it out as I have added new hints on how to reach some of the endgame weapons!

Cheers and enjoy!

8-bit fan

aml435

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2018, 03:51:43 am »
I'll check it out. I've enjoyed the hack quite a bit so far.

I did find one exploit that I think might be newly created in this hack. In certain parts of the underground where you battle an Egg, there is one kind of egg that you can steal infinite Lamia Harps from, so long as you keep parrying with everyone else. it becomes easy to rack up hundreds of thousands of GP in a matter of minutes this way, stealing them repeatedly and then going to town and selling them all.

Don't know if you want to fix this or leave it, but I figured I'd make you aware of it. I think there are some of those floating mechanical eyes (Sentrys, maybe they're called) that can be exploited the same way. 

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2018, 04:15:27 pm »
I'll check it out. I've enjoyed the hack quite a bit so far.

I did find one exploit that I think might be newly created in this hack. In certain parts of the underground where you battle an Egg, there is one kind of egg that you can steal infinite Lamia Harps from, so long as you keep parrying with everyone else. it becomes easy to rack up hundreds of thousands of GP in a matter of minutes this way, stealing them repeatedly and then going to town and selling them all.

Don't know if you want to fix this or leave it, but I figured I'd make you aware of it. I think there are some of those floating mechanical eyes (Sentrys, maybe they're called) that can be exploited the same way.
Thanks for the kind words aml435! Again, very glad you are enjoying the hack! :)

No, you could always have done that even in the vanilla version. It's just that there was a bug in the original where you could only encounter these monsters on only a few squares in the underworld. I've made it so that you can encounter them on the paths to the Sylph Cave and the Sealed Cave.

Same thing with the mechanical eyes thing. You were always able to farm tons of Sirens from them.

Good luck and keep me posted!
Cheers!  :beer:

8-bit fan

vogueblackheart

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2018, 04:28:07 pm »
Love it. I'm about 3/4 through the game. One issue: Many of the Big Chocobos I found in the game aside from those summoned via the Whistle and the one on the Big Whale seem to bring up Namingway's dialogue instead. (The one in the Dwarf Castle basement, for instance, causes this issue. Didn't test every one of the locations but I wasn't able to access item storage before getting the Big Whale.)

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2018, 11:53:53 pm »
Love it. I'm about 3/4 through the game. One issue: Many of the Big Chocobos I found in the game aside from those summoned via the Whistle and the one on the Big Whale seem to bring up Namingway's dialogue instead. (The one in the Dwarf Castle basement, for instance, causes this issue. Didn't test every one of the locations but I wasn't able to access item storage before getting the Big Whale.)
Hi vogueblackheart!
Thanks for the kind words and very glad you are enjoying the hack! :)
I've tested this game many times and just tested all the Big Chocobo locations in the latest version 1.0c and didn't have any issues. Which version of the hack are you playing? And would you happened to have mixed up the header/non-headered patches?

Feel free to let me know. I'm here to help!
Do check out v1.0c as it includes lots of new hints at endgame. And older saves are compatible so no worries!

Cheers!!  :beer:

8-bit fan

vogueblackheart

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2018, 06:00:35 pm »
I've tested this game many times and just tested all the Big Chocobo locations in the latest version 1.0c and didn't have any issues. Which version of the hack are you playing? And would you happened to have mixed up the header/non-headered patches?
Yep, it was my fault. Used a copy of the rom I thought was unheadered but just patched with 1.0c for headered and they work again. Cheers!

neonlightning

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2018, 05:17:52 pm »
Hi aml435!
Thanks for the suggestions! :)

It's be cool to have the hack to be compatible with other patches, but it turns out that by editing the world map, I have pretty much made it impossible to do so because the edit that I used to edit the world map rearranges the hex in the file quite a bit. But I'll look into it and see if it's possible.

For your second point, I would love to do something like that and toyed with the idea. But because the game has limited amount of space and especially for in game events, etc. I would need to remove lots of stuff from the game to even begin with this idea. So actually for this hack, I got around that by giving the endgame party the most useful abilities from previously left party members. I also added many endgame ultimate weapons for each player, including a few that is equip-able by everyone such as the Ultima Weapon.

Hope this helps and thanks again for the great comments and suggestions!  :thumbsup:

Cheers!!  :beer:

8-bit fan

would be pretty great to get those upgraded graphics in with this amazing version you have.

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2018, 04:03:51 pm »
would be pretty great to get those upgraded graphics in with this amazing version you have.
Hi neonlightning!
Thanks for the kind words! :)
Yeah I have been getting requests to incorporate several things in this hack and the graphics upgrade hack is one of them. This one might actually be do-able so I'll look into making this happen once I have the time to do so!

Thanks for the suggestion and stay tuned!  :thumbsup:

Btw, just updated the hack to version 1.10. I added some extra stuff on this one so previous saves might be glitchy - ie. you might miss out on some extra weapons/items and the extra boss fights in the new area I added. It's advised that you start a new game...sorry about this part!  ;)

Anyhow, here's a new screen for the new area:

Edge: Oh goodie another sword!

Enjoy and cheers!!  :beer:

8-bit fan