News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV - Ultima  (Read 8013 times)

chillyfeez

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV - Ultima
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2018, 01:27:04 am »
So I last left off just after the Lugae fight (presumably, just before losing Yang, assuming there isn't a big curveball coming).
It's fun playing with all of the new equipment, but I have to say it so far has rendered Rydia's magic an afterthought. I haven't done much grinding, and Cecil, Kain and Yang are OHK'ing pretty much everything in Bab-il. Using the flail and the frost whip respectively, Rosa and Rydia are also formidable melee fighters. Maybe that will change a bit once I get to dungeons where all the monsters don't have the same weakness?
All of the extra equipment does make the limited inventory space a bit difficult to work with, too. Seems like by the time I finish any dungeon, I have to start making decisions about what I'm going to throw away. This was always a point of frustration in FFIV, but even more so now with all of the stuff the player can amass in one chapter of Ultima.
I'm curious to see what new bosses you've worked into the final acts, though, and I'll certainly keep you posted.

If and when you get to playing FFIV:TfW, let me know before you start. So far it is very much a WIP (only about a quarter to a third of the story has been produced thus far), and I'll want to make sure you have the most polished version available.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
    • 8-bit fan's Hacking Projects
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2018, 02:52:34 am »
Hey chillyfeez!
Thanks so much for the input! Yeah, I wanted to make the game 'fun', and not really make it a challenge until 2/3 into the game...but now that I've watched some others play it I might have gone too far in a few sections in the very last stretch of the game. I'm about to push out another update that relieves some of the pressure of the last segment including an additional save point. To avoid spoiling it, I'll ask you about what you think when you get there. ;)

Btw, if Yang hasn't blown up yet in your run, I'm pushing out an updated that'll make coming down from Babil less tedious. Stay tuned! ;)

December 06, 2018, 03:30:59 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Ok, the update just got posted. It's now version 1.20.
Please update your rom to this version when you all continue playing. Saves should work without problems.

Cheers!  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 03:30:59 pm by 8.bit.fan »
In the year of 200X, a super robot named Mega Man...

tampa03cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2018, 10:51:17 am »
Hey chillyfeez!
Thanks so much for the input! Yeah, I wanted to make the game 'fun', and not really make it a challenge until 2/3 into the game...but now that I've watched some others play it I might have gone too far in a few sections in the very last stretch of the game. I'm about to push out another update that relieves some of the pressure of the last segment including an additional save point. To avoid spoiling it, I'll ask you about what you think when you get there. ;)

Btw, if Yang hasn't blown up yet in your run, I'm pushing out an updated that'll make coming down from Babil less tedious. Stay tuned! ;)

December 06, 2018, 03:30:59 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Ok, the update just got posted. It's now version 1.20.
Please update your rom to this version when you all continue playing. Saves should work without problems.

Cheers!  :thumbsup:

Ok yeah, the AI is pretty tough, still working on whipping him.

Question below (spoilered)

Spoiler:
Curious just how rare you made the chicken knife? I have killed the evil masks on the floors before the AI for hours now (last count 112 kills). Is this just insanely bad luck, or was it intended to be this hard to attain? (If so, any chance you might be willing to tone that rarity down just a bit?). I did a second test (from another machine later this evening), 2 hours of evil masks (another 60-70), no chicken knife. Just lunar curtains.

Also curious if you added code that prevents you from attaining more than one pink tail? I noticed subsequent drops from Pink Flan after I got the first tail/adamant armor was Dry Ether or Elixir. Your damn evil, level scaling, robot of murder is making me farm like never before (I love it!)  Appreciate the info sir

« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 11:24:00 pm by tampa03cobra »

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
    • 8-bit fan's Hacking Projects
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2018, 06:48:20 pm »

Ok yeah, the AI is pretty tough, still working on whipping him.

Question below (spoilered)

Spoiler:
Curious just how rare you made the chicken knife? I have killed the evil masks on the floors before the AI for hours now (last count 112 kills). Is this just insanely bad luck, or was it intended to be this hard to attain? (If so, any chance you might be willing to tone that rarity down just a bit?). I did a second test (from another machine later this evening), 2 hours of evil masks (another 60-70), no chicken knife. Just lunar curtains.

Also curious if you added code that prevents you from attaining more than one pink tail? I noticed subsequent drops from Pink Flan after I got the first tail/adamant armor was Dry Ether or Elixir. Your damn evil, level scaling, robot of murder is making me farm like never before (I love it!)  Appreciate the info sir
Hi tampa03cobra! :)
Yeah the AI is tough,
Spoiler:
there's another secret boss after it that's even harder...but at least that one doesn't scale with your level
;) Good luck! Feel free to reach out for any help/hints!

Spoiler:
As for the Chicken Knife, yes it pretty much is THE hardest item to get in the game. It's the rarest drop from Evil Masks(and Pale Dim). So, each enemy will drop an item at a rate of 1/20, and for that item to be the rarest one is a rate of 1/64. So you have a 1/1280 chance for 1 Evil Mask to drop it. So on the average, depending on if you are fighting 1 or 2 Evil Masks in each battle, you should get the Chicken Knife after an average of 960 battles with the Evil Masks.
  :D However,
Spoiler:
the easiest way for a player to get the Chicken Knife would be to save right before fighting Pale Dim, then fight it until it drops the Chicken Knife. Since Pale Dim(and most bosses) always drop, you have a 1/64 chance to get it! This is how I got mine on my playthrough and I got the Chicken Knife after fighting Pale Dim about 7 times.

Pink Tails should be much easier to get/farm than before, as it's the rarest and the 2nd rarest drop for the Pink Puffs. That's a 12/64 chance of getting one for each Pink Puff you fight, and you fight 5 at once so you should be able to get it fairly painlessly with the Siren.

I've actually started to compile a complete drop list from all enemies from the hack. Once I have that finished I'll put it up on my site so stay tuned! http://8bitfan.info/

Btw, feel free to update the rom to version 1.20. Your save file should work just fine.

Cheers!! :thumbsup:

8-bit fan
In the year of 200X, a super robot named Mega Man...