News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV - Ultima  (Read 8011 times)

tampa03cobra

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV - Ultima
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2018, 12:02:42 pm »
Hey 8-bit;

Been playing the game (just got Fusoya) *correction, at CPU fight in Giant (my post still shows awaiting approval from mods, stinks to be new I guess :-), you did a wonderful job. I tried to go into it without reading any spoilers and it didn't occur to me until I got the airship that the hovercraft from Damcyan could be used to.. something something earlier something. That was really clever; wish I saw that right after I got the craft; next playthrough.

So want to reiterate what another user said above, there is a potentially annoying bug floating around with the Fat Chocobo. The issue here (especially with the dwarf castle) is in the dark world you have no other way to get to that overgrown pigeon. It will just bring up Namingway Dialog; (I will post a picture when I have a chance). I believe this also happened at another location in the light world but I can't confirm it.

Where this is an issue is, you start having to make painful what to keep decisions in your inventory. I found myself immediately discarding the new 1 time use spell items and some gears to make room for chest stuff. Now, I made it through no problem, and some people aren't as pack rat like as I am so may not be as big of an issue.

There is a really easy way to solve this though: Make whistles available at the Dwarf castle item shop for a reasonable price (maybe 5000gp)?

Or could just leave it be and call it "inventory challenge mode" for the dark world  :'(

Again; awesome!  :woot!:  Do you happen to have a bestiary somewhere of the changes you made to mobs? Specifically because Edge steal doesn't seem to indicate a difference between "Failed to Steal" and "Enemy doesn't have anything". So it's hard to tell if it's worth repeatedly using it trying to decide if an enemy has something (or does every enemy have a stealable item? Not familiar with this mechanic in FFIV)?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 03:03:21 am by tampa03cobra »

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2018, 12:35:07 pm »
The dark world fat chocobo problem should be an easy fix. IIRC, all other instances of the fat chocobo are the same NPC. Because the underworld uses a separate set of NPCs, the fatty there is unique. Somehow, his "speech" instruction (or maybe his event) got messed up. It should be pretty easy to correct this with ff4kster.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
    • 8-bit fan's Hacking Projects
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2018, 04:24:58 pm »
The dark world fat chocobo problem should be an easy fix. IIRC, all other instances of the fat chocobo are the same NPC. Because the underworld uses a separate set of NPCs, the fatty there is unique. Somehow, his "speech" instruction (or maybe his event) got messed up. It should be pretty easy to correct this with ff4kster.
Hey chillyfeez!
Thanks for chiming in! :)

Unfortunately, you can't edit my hack with ff4kster at this state anymore because I edited the world map. But the issue should be fixed easily because it's mostly because of using the wrong patch. I'll detail this below in my reply...
Hey 8-bit;

Been playing the game (just got Fusoya) *correction, at CPU fight in Giant (my post still shows awaiting approval from mods, stinks to be new I guess :-), you did a wonderful job. I tried to go into it without reading any spoilers and it didn't occur to me until I got the airship that the hovercraft from Damcyan could be used to.. something something earlier something. That was really clever; wish I saw that right after I got the craft; next playthrough.

So want to reiterate what another user said above, there is a potentially annoying bug floating around with the Fat Chocobo. The issue here (especially with the dwarf castle) is in the dark world you have no other way to get to that overgrown pigeon. It will just bring up Namingway Dialog; (I will post a picture when I have a chance). I believe this also happened at another location in the light world but I can't confirm it.

Where this is an issue is, you start having to make painful what to keep decisions in your inventory. I found myself immediately discarding the new 1 time use spell items and some gears to make room for chest stuff. Now, I made it through no problem, and some people aren't as pack rat like as I am so may not be as big of an issue.

There is a really easy way to solve this though: Make whistles available at the Dwarf castle item shop for a reasonable price (maybe 5000gp)?

Or could just leave it be and call it "inventory challenge mode" for the dark world  :'(

Again; awesome!  :woot!:  Do you happen to have a bestiary somewhere of the changes you made to mobs? Specifically because Edge steal doesn't seem to indicate a difference between "Failed to Steal" and "Enemy doesn't have anything". So it's hard to tell if it's worth repeatedly using it trying to decide if an enemy has something (or does every enemy have a stealable item? Not familiar with this mechanic in FFIV)?
Hi tampa03cobra!
Thanks so much for the kind words and playing my hack! Very happy that you are enjoying it!! :)

Great observation on the hovercraft! ;) And I see that you are about the beat the giant so brace yourself, the game's difficulty is about to ramp up quite a lot! :) Feel free to ask if you have any problems! ;)

Regarding the issue you're experiencing with the Fat Chocobo not showing up, you've probably patched the wrong rom version with the wrong patch. For example, you might have patched a 'no header' patch with a 'headered' rom, or vice versa. The other user communicated with me thru PM and that was his issue. After he patched the correct patch with the right version of the rom the issue went away. So try that out first and let me know if you are still experiencing this issue! :) And remember from the readme, this hack is designed so that you really won't 'miss' any items as I've made it so that you can re-acquire most items in some fashion or another at endgame. ;)

As for Edge and stealing, you will always steal an item from enemies except bosses(bosses only drop). And I've made it so that most enemies have meaningful steals by the time you acquire Edge. I've listed out the rare drops for the new weapons and armors in my docs, but I haven't got around to compile a complete list of steals/drops yet. Maybe I'll do that when I have the time later!

Feel free to post here or PM/email if you have any other questions or need help with the game! You can also find more spoiler faqs at my site: http://8bitfan.info/  :thumbsup:

Enjoy the endgame! :)

Cheers!! :beer:

8-bit fan
In the year of 200X, a super robot named Mega Man...

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2018, 01:55:22 pm »
So, I'm playing through now. I'm still super early in the game. I just finished the Mist cave. Not much is different up to that point, so there's not much to say. It did seem like the Mist Dragon was way too easy to defeat. My Cecil and Kain are only level 11, and we actually killed it during the first Mist phase, with Cecil in the back row and Kain just continually jumping. I know part of your aim was to make the game not-too-hard, but it kind of undermines the whole "wait to attack until the proper time" strategy of that first boss battle.

EDIT
Haha - just got into Mist. Never mind on the previous comment... Clever! Glad I saved just before entering the town.
:)

Latest Demo

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2018, 02:46:36 pm »
So, I'm playing through now. I'm still super early in the game. I just finished the Mist cave. Not much is different up to that point, so there's not much to say. It did seem like the Mist Dragon was way too easy to defeat. My Cecil and Kain are only level 11, and we actually killed it during the first Mist phase, with Cecil in the back row and Kain just continually jumping. I know part of your aim was to make the game not-too-hard, but it kind of undermines the whole "wait to attack until the proper time" strategy of that first boss battle.

EDIT
Haha - just got into Mist. Never mind on the previous comment... Clever! Glad I saved just before entering the town.
:)
Ahhh...good observation ;)
The reason for that during the 1st Mist fight is because I had to recycle a tech for one of the extra bosses later in the game, and the 'Invincible +1' tech is only ever used in the fight with Mist. So I thought I could just scrap it since I made like like a prelude to the 2nd fight anyway ;)

Hope you're enjoying the hack! I have to say though, most of the new content I've added will start flooding in about halfway through the game...

Enjoy!! :)

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2018, 04:51:55 pm »
So I've been playing a bit as well. I do question why Kain is given the Wind Spear to begin with, though I realize this isn't a challenge hack. I liked the new hints in the hint room, they felt very natural and not at all hackish (AKA: See FFIV:Combat Boost, haha!) I enjoyed the extra loop around to get to Mist it makes the trip feel a little grander.

Hoho! As Chillfeez says, very clever second boss fight. It was actually a bit tough. A very clever way of making you not dequip Kain.

The guards weren't much to speak of. Interesting to see the Silver Dagger is sold in Kaipo, along with the Longbow.

Sandworm is a bit disappointing. There's nothing special about it here. Were the Magic Missiles of the Rod weakened? Against Toebiter's it did only one damage.

I have mostly made it through the Waterway, it is nice to the Toadgre's are a little more of a threat by casting Toad often.

Nice hint at the end of the dungeon there. Also this weapon this early? I am rather surprised.

Surprised to see both pieces of the Dark and Black sets in one place.

I got a Virus from Recall while fighting Octomamm, so that was neat. That battle is extremely easy though, regardless.

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2018, 05:11:58 pm »
Oh you're playing my hack too Grimoire LD? Nice!! :D

Yeah, it's not a challenge hack by any means. I tried my best to design it so that the player can have 'fun' with the game. Be careful however, I did ramp up the difficulty of the hack. You should start seeing challenges increased about 1/3 way through, and endgame is not for the faint of heart... ;)

I gave Kain the Wind Spear at the start because I scrapped the Iron Spear to make room for more interesting weapons. I'd rather recycle the Iron Spear because the Wind Spear is more interesting, and the beginning is supposed to be easy anyway. :)

And yup, to mix things up a bit, I added that 'ability' to THAT weapon. :) And if you don't mind any spoilers, Dark Swords are... you can find out yourself or check out the Weapons doc. ;)

And yes, I've switched quite a bit of stuff around in this hack so that's why you're seeing the Dark and Black equipments.

Anyhow, hope you are enjoying the hack! As I've mentioned to chillyfeez, you'll start to see most of the new content I added about halfway into the game...

Cheers!!

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2018, 06:04:43 pm »
I was also surprised about the early
Spoiler:
blood sword
, but it makes much more sense for it to be a
Spoiler:
dark sword.  And it can't be the final one. That has to be the deathbringer. So you get the initial one that is just dark elemental, then the blood, then deathbringer.
it makes good sense.

Latest Demo

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2018, 06:19:09 pm »
Haha nice chillyfeez! :)

But I also left the
Spoiler:
2 other 'Drain' swords in the game. Dark Swords are usable by Edge so these combinations should be fun for the players to mess around with ;) ...having Edge dual wield Ultima Weapon and the Blood Sword is just game breaking. What was I thinking!  ;)

I also had plans to add a lot more weapons and such, but there's only so much room to the rom. I also wanted to make a post-Zeromus dungeon but that's just out of the question. Maybe I could make a FF4 Ultima 2 for these...  :P

Anyhow, keep me posted on your progresses and feel free to reach out for any questions! :)

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2018, 06:24:49 pm »
Post Zeromus as in, the game just keeps going? Or like after the final credits and everything?
The former could be done pretty easily. The latter, probably not so much.

Latest Demo

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2018, 06:29:11 pm »
Either, but probably right after Cecil says bye to Golbez...instead of going to the ending/credits, I'd add in the interlude right there.

But yeah, it would take a lot more time and I'm not sure if there's extra room to work with because I didn't delete much from the main game as I wanted to keep the vanilla version intact more or less. I used ff4kster btw.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2018, 08:44:45 pm »
Oh, right, and there's the whole expanded ROM so can no longer use ff4kster thing.

So I'm at Mount Hobs. I actually fought a few battles at the entrance before the Antlion's den, and now I'm actually there.
Anyway... I've gotten three SilvrSeeds so far, meaning I have been able to raise Rydia's max HP by 100 and Rosa's by 50. Presumably, with just a bit more time spent here, I could grab an extra 1000 HP for each pretty quickly. That seems a bit over-the-top. Since I'm sure the Cockatrice's Super-rare drop is the call spell, maybe you should consider making the SilvrSeed a different Hobs monster's super-rare drop?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 10:57:40 pm by chillyfeez »

Latest Demo

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2018, 01:06:41 am »
Actually since you've been fighting on Mt Hobs I'm surprised you haven't gotten the Cockatrice summon yet as I made it the Super-rare and rare drop slots, effectively making it drop from 1/64 to 12/64. I believe, without checking since I'm away for the weekend, the SilvrSeeds drop is actually the uncommon drop 5/16. Well, I designed this hack as a regular play-thru without grinding(until endgame if you want to get ultimate weapons for everyone ;)) so you'll naturally get lots more of these goodies if you do so. But trust me, the game's difficulty ramps up later and I can assure you that even those SilvrSeeds won't help you much on some of the endgame bosses I've designed ;)
Spoiler:
...one of which actually scales to your levels more or less so leveling won't actually help you ;)

Enjoy!! :)

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2018, 11:21:32 pm »
So, um, in the Inn in Agart, there's a kid stuck in the walls. It looks like maybe you moves the back wall in some spots, and my guess is you moved one on top of his starting position, so now instead of running around the floor, he runs around inside the walls.

Funny thing is, if you can catch him, you can still talk to him.

Might not be something you can fix easily, but thought you might like to know.

Latest Demo

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2018, 02:30:15 am »
Oh nice catch chillyfeez! :D

Nah it should be an easy fix. I could put it out in the next update along with the no-critical fix. Yeah, I was trying to edit tiles in the least intrusive areas such as towns to free up space for the new areas that I added. Because of this, you might notice that I took out a lot of floor rugs from town shops, etc. ;)

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2018, 08:07:58 pm »
A couple things:

The first is a simple subject-verb agreement in a line of text:

The second is a question regarding the choice to make it impossible to land the airship next to Troia. I guess I can kinda see how you were trying to make the experience a little fresh for the seasoned FFIV player. That being said, with the dash function implemented, it ends up amounting to little more than a bit of an annoyance. All it takes is to fly around for an extra thirty seconds to find the chocobo forest and figure out where to land in order to be able to reach it. I think I may have ended up fighting one battle traversing my landing point to the forest, so it's not like a whole lot of adventure was added by the choice. It also made it a bit less of a surprise when
Spoiler:
I got to the black chocobo forest and had to fight the vulture. That fight would have snuck up on me a bit more if I hadn't just gone through the landing-at-Troia ordeal
What's more, When it comes time to go to Zot, if the player chooses to leave the tower before finishing it, the Enterprise still lands next to Troia (despite the otherwise impossibility):

It would be possible to change where the Enterprise lands (I have looked into that before), but the problem with the way things are now is that there are multiple possibilities for the original departure point before entering the Tower (whereas in the original, the Enterprise necessarily departs from the small clearing next to Troia, so it makes sense that that's where it lands).

It's all just a stylistic issue but... do ya see where I'm coming from here?

Latest Demo

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2018, 10:12:15 pm »
"metals gets" is my fault; i forgot to tell 8bitfan that it needed fixing. thanks for pointing it out though, chillyfeez.

for 8bitfan: the Troia "metals gets" message is Bank 2, Location 6, Message 8
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2018, 02:03:36 am »
Thanks chillyfeez and vivify93! :)
I went ahead and updated the text. Along with the critical hit bug fix, I also buffed several endgame weapons. I just submitted the update to the site. Saves from v1.10a will work so feel free to continue playing with the new version! :) I also credited everyone in the readme for the great help!

@chillyfeez - yeah, unfortunately exiting Zot can only land your airship in one location so having it land next to Troia is fine. It's not ideal as you've mentioned there are several spots to land to get to Troia now. But as least if the player needs to restock supplies, they can get right back to Zot. To answer your question, I wanted to utilize that whole region as in the vanilla version, that whole area is wasted space, with the chocobo forest practically unused. Looks like you just beat
Spoiler:
the Vulture...you won't encounter any new bosses for a while. Plenty of new weapons/spells coming your way though!
;)

Cheers and enjoy!! :beer:

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2018, 02:13:36 pm »
I'm actually up to the underworld now. And the fat chocobo in the dwarf castle definitely works the way he's supposed to, BTW. ;)

Latest Demo

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2018, 03:11:29 pm »
Nice chillyfeez! :)
Great to know! Yeah think the people experiencing the problem most likely patched a wrong version of the rom. But great to get a confirmation from you! :)

Spoiler:
Should be a slew of new weapons coming your way starting right about now...
;)

December 05, 2018, 08:10:59 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
By the way, I've been meaning to check out your FF4 hacks Grimoire LD and chillyfeez ;)
I'm doing another run-through of Ultima right now but once I'm done with that I'll be checking them out...

FFIV:Combat Boost
Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within

Should be fun! :)

December 05, 2018, 10:46:54 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Hi Chillyfeez, Grimoire and anyone else playing my hack. I have a request: can you give me your thoughts and comments on what you like and don't like about the hack? I've been watching people stream my hack and while they all seem to like it, most of them got really frustrated with some of the endgame bosses.

I'm always trying to improve the hack so any suggestions will be very much appreciated!

Cheers all!  :beer:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 10:46:54 pm by 8.bit.fan »