News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Dragon Quest IV (PSX)  (Read 2707 times)

markus-projects

• View Profile
Re: Dragon Quest IV (PSX)
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2020, 02:34:41 pm »
Thanks to everybody wishing us good luck :)

The truth is that I recently played for the first time DQ I.II on SNES (a translated version from evilteam brasil). DQ3 on SNES comes next for me (translated by DQ Translations). When I searched for a translated version of DQ4 PSX and I found nothing I thought, well how hard can it be... ^^

That is why I would also like to focus on the DQ4, as Chicken Knife said.
@erinnk @LadyCannock I updated the code and my blog post what I found out. You can look into it and also contact me.

There are good and bad news:

The good news are that I understood the LZS scheme and it seems that every compressed block can be decompressed. That said, I could successfully extract the TIM images, for example. I also looked into the various subblock types and made some notes what they could contain.

The bad news are that there seems to be no dialog text encoded in the usual japanese encodings (JIS, etc). I guess that they use a self-made font image to render the dialogs and that they maybe use their own coding scheme to address the letters. I guess someone has to look into the executable to debug what really happens. I am not familiar with the opcodes of PSX and did not found a clue. Maybe someone can help me and tell me, how dialog text is loaded, from where it is loaded and how it is encoded. In particular, I would like to know where the first dialog word %u3069%u3046%u3057%u305F is hidden in the data  ;)

« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 03:35:54 am by markus-projects »

erinnk

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2020, 11:16:45 am »
Markus, can you share your extraction code?

September 16, 2020, 11:25:30 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Without having looked closer, I'm thinking perhaps the text is simply encoded as indices into the font you found. That would make sense. The way to locate the intro dialogue, especially where there's substantial repetition, is to find repeated bytes, I think... especially lines like this: "勇者さま 勇者さま……"  There's going to be four bytes (or double bytes) followed by something different, followed by those same four bytes.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 11:25:30 am by erinnk »

markus-projects

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2020, 11:52:33 am »
Markus, can you share your extraction code?

Without having looked closer, I'm thinking perhaps the text is simply encoded as indices into the font you found. That would make sense. The way to locate the intro dialogue, especially where there's substantial repetition, is to find repeated bytes, I think... especially lines like this: "勇者さま 勇者さま……"  There's going to be four bytes (or double bytes) followed by something different, followed by those same four bytes.

Everything of the code is at https://github.com/mschroeder-github/dragon-hackst-4.
I also thought about this possibility. I could try to find these patterns.