News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Go for it, Goemon! Depose the Odd Shōgun McGuinness! (SNES) [Released]  (Read 4427 times)

meunierd

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Re: Go for it, Goemon! Depose the Odd Shōgun McGuinness! (SNES) [Released]
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2020, 11:20:04 am »
While it's the norm for literature, gaming still seems to struggle with the concept of multiple translations. The audience seems to think translation is something you do with a magic decoder ring rather than a creative endeavor unto itself. I'm so glad to see your perspective on this charming game has finally seen the light of day! Congratulations on the release!

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2020, 06:31:16 pm »
Congratulations! You not only made a language translation, you added a stylish translation! Like everything was hand-drawn. You earned my respect!

pelham123

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2020, 01:52:48 am »
Congratulations Avster, looking forward to playing this!

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2020, 02:04:17 pm »
Thanks a lot for your work, Avster! It's always good to have several alternatives and try them all.

If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a thing. With all that happened with DDS and all, I don't know if you'll be willing to work again with other people, but I remember reading in this site, around a year ago, that a user called Celeste was looking for someone with knowledge of snes asm hacking who could help in some projects she's involved ("Idea no Hi" and "Gokinjo Boukentai"). I'm unsure whether she already found someone or not, but in case you'd be willing to look at it, I think those projects were near finished translation-wise and only needed some asm hacks.

If you're interested, I could try to contact Celeste and ask if they still need a romhacker and what exactly need to be done.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2020, 02:12:32 pm »
If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a thing. With all that happened with DDS and all, I don't know if you'll be willing to work again with other people, but I remember reading in this site, around a year ago, that a user called Celeste was looking for someone with knowledge of snes asm hacking who could help in some projects she's involved ("Idea no Hi" and "Gokinjo Boukentai"). I'm unsure whether she already found someone or not, but in case you'd be willing to look at it, I think those projects were near finished translation-wise and only needed some asm hacks.

They weren't anywhere near finished. Celeste was the standard "project-manager" archetype, over-hyping progress when there wasn't any along with her own ability to contribute. She used her over-stated skills and falsely-stated progress to attract people who actually *could* do the work while otherwise functionally contributing nothing, then threw several massive wobblers when called out on her lack of contribution. Stay far, far away; that's a drama bomb waiting to go off.

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2020, 10:57:30 am »
They weren't anywhere near finished. Celeste was the standard "project-manager" archetype, over-hyping progress when there wasn't any along with her own ability to contribute. She used her over-stated skills and falsely-stated progress to attract people who actually *could* do the work while otherwise functionally contributing nothing, then threw several massive wobblers when called out on her lack of contribution. Stay far, far away; that's a drama bomb waiting to go off.

Wow, what a let-down  :( I remember reading you on one of Celeste's threads saying something similar, but I hoped that was only a misunderstanding between you two. I also read that the script for Gokinjo Boukentai was almost translated and the main thing left to do was inserting it, but if what you say is true, then who knows how much of that statement is true. I recall Matatabimitsu was translating the whole script but he stopped doing it for who knows what reasons (he's with the first Popolocrois now, I think (ninja update: according to his own Twitter, he also has abandoned the Popolocrois translation)).

Well, gotta keep studying Japanese, then.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 07:44:02 pm by aqualung »

Avster

• View Profile
    • Avi Morgan dot com
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2020, 02:42:20 pm »
Last night the power went out as I was trying to post that all bugs have been fixed and the Beta is now available. Enjoy!

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2020, 12:44:03 pm »
Wow, what a let-down  :( I remember reading you on one of Celeste's threads saying something similar, but I hoped that was only a misunderstanding between you two. I also read that the script for Gokinjo Boukentai was almost translated and the main thing left to do was inserting it, but if what you say is true, then who knows how much of that statement is true. I recall Matatabimitsu was translating the whole script but he stopped doing it by who knows what reasons (he's with the first Popolocrois now, I think).

FWIW 730 made a fair bit of progress on what I'd extracted from Gokinjo, but having a translated script and "just reinserting it" isn't anywhere close to the full nine yards you'd need for a proper translation patch. I was brought on with the understanding that 730 and I were not going to be the only ones contributing, and when that fizzled (and when Celeste started demanding further work from me despite not actually meeting any contribution obligations, then tried looking for someone else when I wasn't working fast enough) we both bailed. I still have the work and intend to finish it at some point but haven't publicly talked about it or announced anything because it isn't a focus and there's a *lot* of work that needs to be done.

Anyway. This thread isn't about Gokinjo drama. Grats to Avi on Goemon :)

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2020, 06:07:08 pm »
I also read that the script for Gokinjo Boukentai was almost translated and the main thing left to do was inserting it,

Many people think the hard part is the translation. That's the easy part.

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2020, 07:54:06 pm »
Many people think the hard part is the translation. That's the easy part.

Yes, that's true. I didn't explain myself very well in my previous post. It's not that I was disregarding the script insertion as a trivial matter, I know that part tends to be several orders of magnitude harder and more complicated than the script translation. I just wanted to imply that the Gokinjo project seemed to be on the right track.

Sorry for derailing the original purpose of this post, Avster.