News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Digimon: Tag Tamers translation (WS) (Download Link on 2nd Page!)  (Read 11689 times)

stratoform

• View Profile
Re: Digimon: Tag Tamers translation (WS)
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2020, 05:34:33 pm »
I think an "L" shaped pattern for the Digimon info like you suggest would work. The Digimon sprite would still cover the last 3-4 letters of longer Digimon names, but those cases will be fairly rare and I think it'll look better than just going off the screen. I'll work on some layouts and see what it looks like. Thanks for the comments!

If it looks too crowded with both Dad and Mom, you could try a timer text auto-switch. Show Dad one portion and then Mom the other.

Or make it a joypad-driven menu that lets you switch the display stats on command.

Thanks for the encouragement! The WonderSwan has a lot of good games but not much interest - hopefully more translations will help change that.

That makes me wonder also. Why the interest seems so low. There's a good number of unique stuff for the WS(C); decently fun ones too.

meunierd

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Re: Digimon: Tag Tamers translation (WS)
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2020, 02:39:38 pm »
I think it mostly boiled down to tooling. There wasn't much for debuggers for the longest time.

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
Re: Digimon: Tag Tamers translation (WS) (RELEASE DATE: August 3rd)
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2020, 09:03:42 am »
Update: I've finished translating the last of the 229 attack descriptions! That was the last (tedious) translation work I needed to do - the rest is just cleaning up my older work and making some final graphics updates. Therefore, I'm setting the release date for this translation at August 3rd. That's the 20th anniversary of the game, so it seems fitting.

Here's an example of the in-progress clean-up:

When I raised the Digimon name limit from 10, it caused the names to drop down really far on the screen (left screenshot). Turns out, there was code to center the name in the textbox - it subtracted the name length from 10, then shifted to get the padding on each side. E.g. 0x0A - 0x06 gave us 2 tiles on each side. However, 0x0A - 0x0B gives us an overflow of 0xFF, which meant a ton of padding. I adjusted the value from 10 to 16, and it centers properly now (right screenshot).

(I know how to update the textbox width as well, but it involves adding a new tilemap to empty space and changing the pointer, so I'm holding off on that until I've made the other, less invasive changes first)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 05:39:31 pm by USC »

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2020, 01:57:04 am »
Great news, USC!  Congrats for your efforts :) I'll be giving a playthrough when the day comes.  Thanks for your huge contribution.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2020, 05:41:40 pm »
Awesome to hear. When it comes out, I'm hoping the translation of the game will be worth it. Despite there being a couple of plot holes from the anime version (either that or they were probably working on the game the same time before Digimon Adventure 02 came out).

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2020, 10:37:09 pm »
mikeprado30: Thanks! I hope you enjoy it.

julayla: I also hope the translation of the game will be worth it. Better minds than mine have tried to reconcile the differences between the show, the movie, and the game version of these events. XD

As far as updates, I've figured out how the game does "fill in" dialogue (template text that gets fill in with a variable, like an item name or location). Now I can move the "fill in" point, so I can get rid of some passive sentences! I realize I'm probably the only one who cares about that, but still...

Also, I've added the in-progress title screen to the ROM. I'm not a pixel artist by any means, so hopefully I can improve it with people's feedback.

storall

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2020, 11:31:41 pm »
Quote from: USC
As far as updates, I've figured out how the game does "fill in" dialogue (template text that gets fill in with a variable, like an item name or location). Now I can move the "fill in" point, so I can get rid of some passive sentences! I realize I'm probably the only one who cares about that, but still...

I like the change!

Masaru

• i want to know diasm and c++
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2020, 01:57:57 am »
mikeprado30:
Also, I've added the in-progress title screen to the ROM. I'm not a pixel artist by any means, so hopefully I can improve it with people's feedback.

Honestly, the logo looks off, i prefer this one instead

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2020, 11:30:21 am »
Storall: Thanks! I just fixed a related issue as well. The JPN version used the same first line (デジモン が) to indicate digivolving, gaining a skill, and deleting it - with the second line (stored separately) indicating the difference. This lead to some awkward sentences in English, but I've managed to change the order they're drawn to fix this. It's much more polished now.

Masaru: Yes, the logo that LaserMutt4 made is really great! But I'm trying to match the official (retroactive) Digimon 02 English logo. Any suggestions on how to make it look less "off"? I've posted this elsewhere, and there was a suggestion to reduce/center the space between Digimon and the 02, which I think will help.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2020, 02:50:22 pm »
If you're gonna try to model it after that design, you should change the shape of that box. The problem with the current design is that just having DIGIMON in there isn't a good match for the shape of the space. There's a lot of empty space and it just looks bad.

Lazermutt4

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2020, 06:59:51 pm »
First up, thanks for the compliments, everybody!  :)

Now for critiques, one issue is the title text is a bit muddy (It looks to me like you de-colorized the logo from Anode/Cathode Tamer, correct?)
I found the same logo in native monochrome in the game Digimon Ver. WonderSwan (the first card game)
And as a backup, the WSC versions of the Battle Spirit games have English assets (with a smaller logo) hidden in the code.
(There's a patch for Ver1.5 and screenshots on The Cutting Room Floor:
https://tcrf.net/Digimon_Tamers:_Battle_Spirit
https://tcrf.net/Digimon_Tamers:_Battle_Spirit_Ver._1.5)

They're all cut out below if you need em:

Now, onto the elephant in the room: like Pennywise said, the empty space on your source material is a huge problem.
Thankfully, this is Digimon, and we have an easy out for that: just slap "Digital Monsters" on somewhere.

Wound up getting to work on it, and a few hours later, I got this sort-of amalgam design.
Should be same vertical height as stock and my last design.

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2020, 10:30:24 pm »
Pennywise: Thank you for the feedback! I'll try to apply it to my practice, although I don't think I can do any better than Lasermutt4's work.

Lasermutt4: Wow! I really appreciate you taking the time to make another logo. I may need to make some edits due to tile limit, but you're added to the in-game credits for creating the title screen.
(I actually grabbed the DIGIMON art from Digimon Ver. WonderSwan as well, then shrank it and tried to clean up the result)

While I'm asking for feedback, I've got a couple ideas for my last status screen change over. Here's the current page:

The main issue is the two parent names - they can be a maximum of 16 letters, which the current layout doesn't allow. Due to the variable size of the sprites and parent names (both get larger the higher your Digimon's level), I can't think of a perfect layout. However, here's my three compromise design ideas:

| |

Any thoughts? I'm fond of the first layout, but I think the third layout will ultimately show the most information/have the least cut-off.

storall

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2020, 10:49:07 pm »
Since August 3rd is close, I think layout #1 is good. If a better one is found, you can do it for later update.

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2020, 10:49:04 am »
Storall: Thanks! However, it's fairly easy to add any of the three layouts - I've had that section mapped out for a while, I just haven't replaced it because I couldn't think of a good design.

Now that I think about it, it might be better to change the draw order so the Digimon sprite is drawn behind the textboxes, so it looks like they're in front. That would solve the text cut-off problem, and the player would have seen the full sprite on the previous page anyway. I still need to figure out which layout looks best with that though.

storall

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2020, 02:25:31 pm »
Quote from: USC
Now that I think about it, it might be better to change the draw order so the Digimon sprite is drawn behind the textboxes, so it looks like they're in front. That would solve the text cut-off problem, and the player would have seen the full sprite on the previous page anyway. I still need to figure out which layout looks best with that though.

That's a great idea! I still vote #1 again.

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2020, 04:50:59 pm »
Tomorrow it's RELEASE DAY! :woot!: :woot!: :woot!:

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2020, 09:27:57 pm »
MikePrado30: Yep! Glad to hear you're excited - hopefully it won't disappoint. I'm doing some final testing of the patch and then I'll be submitting it in a few hours.

In the meantime, I added some information to the Cutting Room Floor's page on the game, if you'd like a preview: https://tcrf.net/Digimon_Adventure_02:_Tag_Tamers
There's also some left over graphics from Anode Tamers that I'll try to throw up there later in the week too.

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2020, 06:46:15 pm »
Update: You can go ahead and try it out now!

Digimon Adventure 02: Tag Tamers English Patch

Feedback appreciated!

Zdagger67

• View Profile
Re: Digimon: Tag Tamers translation (WS) (Download Link on 2nd Page!)
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2020, 01:54:06 am »
while in demo showing digimon,i've found a "tiles marks" in small logo of background demo

Note : i"m not good for writing english

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
Re: Digimon: Tag Tamers translation (WS) (Download Link on 2nd Page!)
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2020, 01:04:27 pm »
Zdagger67: Thanks for your feedback! That was actually intentional on my part when I drew it - as you can see from elsewhere in the thread, I'm not be the best artist.

Lasermutt4 actually made me a better version of both that and the title screen, but they're not in the first release due to an issue I had with my compression function. Hopefully it'll be in the next one!