News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Metroid - Mother Brain HP editing  (Read 212 times)

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
Super Metroid - Mother Brain HP editing
« on: August 14, 2018, 11:26:17 pm »
I was hoping to make the final showdown (the Hyper Beam segment preferably) in Super Metroid more challenging, and I figure giving the boss more health is simple. Except I don't know the ROM address.

Or is there a better alternative? The game has nothing in the way of "level scaling" that I can remember, in a low percentage run the battle could become too unfair.

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Super Metroid - Mother Brain HP editing
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 04:39:21 am »
I do often find simple health scaling to be "cheap" but at the same time it is not without merit. Changing AI behaviours or tightening reaction times/windows tends to be the superior method but also far more annoying.

Anyway

Find the health of the boss in RAM as per conventional infinite health cheat finding.

From there you could try tracing it back to the ROM (make a savestate just before the boss room, standard tracing from there).
Hopefully it is not at max health for the variable size and you can just write a bigger number there, however you could probably create an "energy tank" like process (if boss health is low then refill and set "energy tank" value you create to 0 so it does not refill next time).

In many cases bosses are the same as enemies so you could probably do something like if enemy = boss value then reduce potency of your weapons, or maybe a 50/50 hit chance.