News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Secret of Mana 3D is so glitchy.  (Read 773 times)

WeebeeGeebee

• View Profile
Secret of Mana 3D is so glitchy.
« on: August 11, 2018, 09:42:13 pm »
It's playable... but it's pretty disappointing. It really feels like they didn't even playtest it at all. I was at the Biting Lizard and when I stood in one spot in the playing field my arrow would reverse direction, it went straight up instead of going diagonal towards the enemy. In the place just between Gaia's Navel and Water Palace, the one with the Canon Travel to the right, I killed all the flowers with the Punch Glove, they added a "throw" feature and throwing the enemy messes with the detection, my other characters kept trying to attack a flower that wasn't even there anymore. They added quick binds for using alternate weapons, I get the point, being able to swap between the Sword and Whip on the fly without having to enter the Ring Menu makes plenty of sense, but the way they execute it is really stupid; you have to set both the LB and RB to a weapon, you can't just set one, otherwise when you try to swap you're stuck with that weapon and can't just tap the same button to get back the weapon you had. They also have quick binds for the spells, but this just makes things more confusing. What I really really really find obnoxious is they don't let you remap the buttons - only the keyboard keys. I don't like the fact they set the "swap leader" button to the left and right on the Dpad, I wanted to set that to Select, like on the original Snes game. Or maybe I'd really like to play using the Dpad instead of the analog stick. The lack of options is disheartening. They really didn't put very much thought into this remake, otherwise they would have done more with it, but it's very clearly just an easy cash grab for Square Enix. I highly doubt _anyone_ is dumb enough to drop 40 dollars on such a broken game. Sad, because I had hoped if this remake did well then it would maybe encourage Square to give a similar treatment to Seiken Densetsu 3. Oh well... it'll probably end up being just as unplaytested as this halfassed remake.

I read that Zhade has been working on an improvement patch for original SoM, I'm excited to see how that will turn out.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 10:01:38 pm by WeebeeGeebee »

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Re: Secret of Mana 3D is so glitchy.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 01:55:20 pm »
I 100%ed this on PS4.

It crashed 19 times during the course of the playthrough.

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 08:06:01 pm »
It's worked just fine for me, so far, but MAN the loading times are insane on the cheap GPU I recently got to replace my older one. I'll chalk that up to the dangers of PC gaming on a budget, but I hear these horror stories about it all the time.

I think it's a very nice piece of software, and the skits when you stay at the inn really add a lot of character to Randi/Primm/Popoie that was missing in the SNES version.

In time, I imagine someone will be assigned to work on it, with any luck, anyway. But yeah, buggy software is frustrating every time.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 10:19:43 pm »
I've never been happier I didn't buy that. The "improved" soundtrack was enough to make me stay away, but game breaks too?