News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: NES Metroid HD Pack  (Read 92596 times)

kya

• View Profile
Re: NES Metroid HD Pack
« Reply #120 on: December 27, 2019, 12:58:35 am »
Great work! I'm glad you finally eradicated the sings of that ugly 1.5x upscaling. Have you done it manually?

Aclectico

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 27, 2019, 11:46:04 am »
Thanks - Yep, tried my best to clean up some of the worst offending elements pixel by pixel manually. It's funny though, the most time consuming part wasn't redrawing the tiles and sprites. The most tedious portion was actually replicating the results for every relevant ".png" file in the pack. When I first started, if I knew everything I know now, I would have done things a little differently. But, because of the way it's created, I usually have a dilemma when altering something - Do I create custom code in the "hires.txt" file to make changes easier? Or, do I simply replace all of the duplicated ".png" elements? In this case, I only created custom code for Metroids, Rippers, and the Map. Since I keep telling myself that I should be done so I can spend more time with family, I don't currently have plans to add custom code for other elements.

Then again, since I seem to keep coming back to this, I suppose you never know... Going through long periods of time without pack building seems to cause mild symptoms of withdrawal.

A scene at home has been known to play out like this:

-[voice in the background]: Are you working on that weird "HD Pack" thingy again??

-[flustered me]: ...no....
          *Hits alt+tab to discretely switch from Photoshop to Netflix

Ray572

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 27, 2019, 08:19:16 pm »
How great is all this, great work, good updated details. Thank you.  :thumbsup::beer:

eskimo44

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2020, 09:02:18 pm »
@Aclectico

Dude you rock, and so do the other people who've helped you out. I just played through the hack and can say i honestly had a blast. I left reviews on the base hack pages of mOTHER+99 and mOTHER as i think it's an essential add on to the great work done by those folks. https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3640/

I had no major issues to report but i will say Ridley's flickering was the most notable issue, but i suppose that's just the reality of the NES. Hopefully this gets more recognition going forward as i feel it really deserves it but more than anything i just wanted to say thanks, it's very kind and awesome of you to do this work and put it out there so people like me can enjoy it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 10:09:08 pm by eskimo44 »

StarWyvwern

• Family first, then gaming and music.
    • View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #124 on: April 09, 2020, 03:26:56 pm »
 WTF!!! Man, if you guys are gonna keep making such awesome hacks for MESEN, they are gonna have to make MESEN compatible with PSP...  ;D
Insert "Witty Text" here.

KickMeElmo

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 15, 2020, 06:24:28 pm »
Currently the pack only supports exactly one hash without manual modification, that of the US version with an iNES header. I'd like to request you expand that as follows:

<patch>mmm.ips,ecf39ec5a33e6a6f832f03e8ffc61c5d53f4f90b
<patch>mmm.ips,2080059bea4563ffff7535e6c0a0f3bc2f34b194
<patch>mmm.ips,605945dd8746248901ab599272a68cfb6aa1b015
<patch>mmm.ips,cbf1d538621c8db63adfdcf6e4dde54e24dff4e0

In order, that's:
US Metroid, iNES header
US Metroid, NES 2.0 header
US Metroid Virtual Console version, iNES header
US Metroid Virtual Console version, NES 2.0 header

I verified, your patch doesn't touch the minimal regions the VC version changes. This change would support people who keep updated headers as well as those whose only legal recourse was to dump their VC version.

Aclectico

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 17, 2020, 08:22:40 am »
Interesting - I haven't worked with those variants. When you mentioned your verification efforts, are you saying you played all of those versions to see if they work with that additional information in the hires.txt file? If so, I'd be happy to merge with the master. Below is a new version test with the added information. If you (or anyone else), are able to verify it plays nice with the additional three variants, I can include in the master download link at the start of the thread.

Expanded Compatibility Test: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rhr8rT_XU80vsp84Y45p4L9rewoWx5IK/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for mentioning it!

KickMeElmo

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 17, 2020, 06:17:51 pm »
When you mentioned your verification efforts, are you saying you played all of those versions to see if they work with that additional information in the hires.txt file?

Well, first things first, on review I did make one mistake. I'll get to that in a moment. That said, I did playtest them, and all of them work fine other than saving (the mistake, but that can be fixed easily). I also did a byte by byte comparison of difference between the pre- and post-patched versions for the normal and VC versions, which verified no modified code changes between them.

Now, on to the headers. That's where the saving issue comes in to play. NES 2.0 is essentially an expanded header with some extra information included. That can be submapper information for some games, which (potentially special) controllers should be emulated by default, and things like the amount of Save RAM the game has. It's pretty uncommon for hacks to add saving, so I spaced that one before. That said, it can easily be fixed by adding the corrected NES 2.0 header to the patch itself. This is the same header Mesen applies in memory to unheadered versions to allow them to play, except it has the Save RAM value increased from 0KiB to 8KiB (the amount required by the patch). I've generated and linked the modified patch myself, though you can verify and regenerate it on your own if you'd prefer. It's just a drop-in replacement and wouldn't functionally affect anything other than fixing saving for the NES 2.0 header base.

Additional information on NES 2.0: https://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/NES_2.0
Patch with NES 2.0 header included: https://kickmeelmo.keybase.pub/ROM%20patches/Other/mmm.ips

Aclectico

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 18, 2020, 07:57:17 am »
I made an attempt to merge the "mmm.ips" file with the test pack linked in my previous post. Everything seemed to be working fine until I reached the Kraid area (screenshot below). Unfortunately, it appears there is some other compatibility issue with the changes. I'm not sure what the cause may be.

KickMeElmo

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 18, 2020, 02:17:48 pm »
Strange. I'll look into it, see what I can see. Most likely I failed to account for increased CHRRAM in this hack or something of that sort. For now, it occurs to me that the NES 2.0 header really doesn't serve a purpose for -this- game, so the easiest solution may just be wrapping the iNES header in instead of the NES 2.0 header. Attached a version that does so.

https://kickmeelmo.keybase.pub/ROM%20patches/Other/mmm1.ips
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 03:27:46 pm by KickMeElmo »

Aclectico

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 20, 2020, 08:12:58 am »
Looks like this one doesn't have the Kraid issue that the first try had. It'll need bug testing for the other variants. For now, a test version is below:

Metroid:HD Expanded Compatibility Test 7-20-2020: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UP3sIO8HAOMk1gxT2lHLkyOuelrWm5sa/view?usp=sharing