News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: So, looks like some apparently important sites are shut down  (Read 8486 times)

NERV Agent

• Cureable if treated early by meds from Dr. Mario.
    • View Profile
Re: So, looks like some apparently important sites are shut down
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2018, 06:02:45 am »
But I wonder, will these companies still offer rare import ISOs as well as betas and such on their new retro service? I doubt it.
Pen Pen Toblerone Vomit Pooh Cancer is waifu of the year. Fucking Internet....

Goblin Slayer is a heartwarming tale of magical teenage adventurers overcoming adversity with the power of friendship and believing in oneself. Wholesome family entertainment! Watch it now!

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2018, 06:14:17 am »
Far too many of them contains it. Also there are companies that intentionally mimic the console design and name to a degree only to fool grannies and moms into buying bootleg systems like Game Advance or the most famous Polystation.

On the other hand, in Brazil there's Tec Toy, who is legally able to produce and sell Sega Mega Drive (Genesis) and Sega Mastery System (Mark III), and in one of their Mega Drive repros they actually addressed ROM usage! I won't quote it word by word, but it pretty much says "To use custom ROMs, insert the SD Card into your computer and move the files into the designated folder. However use only ROMs from reliable sources and know we won't take responsibility for damage that it may cause to your system."

I basically meant to say I don't think pirated games in Nintendo franchises, are widely stocked by major American retailers (Walmart, Best Buy, the like).

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2018, 05:25:32 pm »
I think that if Nintendo wanted to go after RHDN and order us to shut down, there would be little we could do about it, but it wouldn't destroy the romhacking scene (ahem, backups and private messaging).

Basically, when you look at the bare facts of the idea, there is no real way to stop filesharing, in the end-all-be-all of it, short of declaring internet access illegal. I don't even know what kind of infrastructure would be necessary to enforce such an ultra-draconian law, and the infrastructure that is currently in place in the world can barely resolve traffic issues in major metropolitan areas.

I remember some spy-ish movie or something where a guy was talking about a computer virus called 'Ice-9' that would shut down all computer network activity in the world. That's a cheesy, comic-booky super villain plot, not a realistic expectation at this point.

We are networked at this point. Humans sure do love to resist change, though.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2018, 02:07:09 am »
Well, at least they didn't take down my CD/DVD spindles or external hard drive. I don't know how they missed those. :P
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2018, 08:04:03 pm »
This is... very interesting: https://www.reddit.com/r/Roms/comments/9a66jw/behind_the_blow_what_really_theisozone_retrozone/

I don't normally go to reddit, but it looks like TIZ had some inter-admin drama involved.  No lawsuit.

EDIT: also looking at the comments, the spotify-style idea is off the table and it's just more stupidity.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 12:24:05 pm by Chronosplit »

A.D.R.I.A.N

• View Profile
"I hate when mods don't let you ask for help."

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2018, 04:26:03 am »
Might as well have the source as it contains more info, though less comedy potential in the comments.
https://torrentfreak.com/loveroms-owner-hopes-to-settle-nintendos-copyright-lawsuit-180824/

That said another day, another ROM site. Same as it has been for decades. Though potentially interesting is that Nintendo also seems to be seeking a quick resolution when "nail them to the wall" has been the order of the day in the past where here they would appear to have a very strong case and nobody really caring to go to bat for them (they flagrantly ran a ROM site). Saw the filing on the earlier torrentfreak article. So much boilerplate legal text (reading it I would not be surprised if it much of it was a template which originated when tape copying was still a thing), though seemingly no direct call for download/user logs. Whether it happens by happy accident with them transferring other things I do not know.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2018, 07:45:56 pm »
TBH, I'm surpised that NL even did a second artile on LoveROMs.  Almost always it's just "thing happened, site is dead" but usually that's the end anyway.

Isao Kronos

• Dogman
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2018, 11:28:45 pm »
too lazy to make another topic about this because it's tangentially related but Pokemon Essentials for RMXP got taken down

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2018, 01:10:45 am »
EDIT: Looks like someone else started a thread.
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=26935.0
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 01:57:09 am by Jorpho »
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2018, 09:52:11 am »
Someone made a interesting comment in NintendoLife:

Sounds like Nintendo wants this lawsuit to end before they get to the discovery phase, where the defendant's lawyer could potentially convince the judge to order Nintendo to turn over documents. Not sure what Nintendo is trying to hide, but I think this is likely why they want the case to end soon.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2018, 03:55:50 pm »
Someone made a interesting comment in NintendoLife:

Sounds like Nintendo wants this lawsuit to end before they get to the discovery phase, where the defendant's lawyer could potentially convince the judge to order Nintendo to turn over documents. Not sure what Nintendo is trying to hide, but I think this is likely why they want the case to end soon.

An anonymous source might not mean much, still I think it's overdue for people to speak out against the industry's secrecy.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2018, 10:05:04 pm »
True, that has been bugging me lately. The secrecy surrounding the Gaming Industry in general should be cause for concern, for the longest time there has not been any transparency on what exactly they do. I can recall a few times when things leaked out about Konami, Nintendo, and a few other companies that they have done some rather shady stuff, and sometimes bad working conditions.

danke

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2018, 01:11:17 am »
Nintendo likely wants it to end before discovery phase and trial in general, because of the court rules in the defendant's favor, it would essentially legalize ROMs/emulation. It could backfire on Nintendo.

A.D.R.I.A.N

• View Profile
"I hate when mods don't let you ask for help."

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2018, 05:35:40 pm »
"and countless stories of emulation sites seeing a similar fate"
Interesting choice of term. I would ponder if they were doing something a bit shady choosing such things but that would probably be a bit too much credit. Not least of all because they fell for a publicity stunt in the same article (bravo ROM site I have never heard of before by the way).

That said I have never heard of the term "emulation sites" refer to such a thing before, and had you said it to me before clicking that like I would have though you meant stuff like https://www.emulator-zone.com/ and http://www.emutalk.net/ .

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2018, 01:05:49 am »
Sure,
some people are probably just downloading a bunch of new videogames instead of buying them, but I think that majority of people just download stuff they owned as a kid like Mario, Zelda, or Super Metroid and want to re-play without having to rebuy the game at $99 each. I haven't spent more than $20 or $30 on a game in several years. Steam is a great resource for me.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2018, 07:11:22 pm »
I remember some spy-ish movie or something where a guy was talking about a computer virus called 'Ice-9' that would shut down all computer network activity in the world. That's a cheesy, comic-booky super villain plot, not a realistic expectation at this point.

That's the TV show Person of Interest by the way.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2018, 02:42:37 pm »
This crap just appeared:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/08/illegal_game_sharing_site_mocks_nintendos_recent_legal_actions_with_trolling_video

they fell for a publicity stunt in the same article (bravo ROM site I have never heard of before by the way).

I agree, I'd never heard of that site before, but thanks Nintendo Life for letting me know about a place where I can download new games for nothing, good job. Admittedly they're PC games rather than Nintendo ones, but still.

I wasn't going to contribute to the thread again until I saw that, but since I'm here I'll throw in my two cents (more than what my opinion on the matter is worth, anyhow). I prefer to look at facts rather than emotions or opinions, and the fact is that Nintendo still makes money off of their old games via the Virtual Console, and they're apparently planning on launching a new subscription service where you can play any old games you want for a monthly fee - the Netflix of gaming, if you will. So if a site is offering for people to play their games through the browser, for free, and making money from banner ads to boot, it would be bad business sense for Nintendo to NOT take them down.

It's worth pointing out that the other ROM download sites that I won't mention were not approached by Nintendo, but got spooked by the actions being taken against certain ones. They probably could have gone on regardless. Still, anyone worried about game preservation should rest easy: you know there's a community out there in the shadows that are archiving all of this for the future of mankind. Chill out. 8)

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2018, 06:24:38 pm »
I can't blame being scared as a rom site owner. When you have roms from hundreds of companies, whichever one takes action is likely to try to inform others what they've uncovered.