News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Ganbare Goemon Gaiden 2: Tenka no Zaihou (FC) Translation  (Read 2493 times)

Fei Wong

• View Profile
Re: Ganbare Goemon Gaiden 2: Tenka no Zaihou (FC) Translation
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2018, 02:46:42 pm »
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!! The patch is already out! Playing it right now and it's awesome!!!
I cant thank enough for your work on this game, i've been a Goemon fan since the snes days and to have another entry in englishh is like a dream!!
The game is a really really neat rpg, good ol' Konami doesn't dissapoint there! but the only grip i have is like some of the rpg's of that era, you cant see what armor can equip your party members so you end buying one of the newer ones and keep trying equipping it until one of your pcs can equip it. This is time consuming and it would be much more efficient if every one had a distintive armor/globe icon, but hey i cant complain!!  :D :D :D

Pat86

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2018, 04:00:56 pm »
Unfortunately the NES emulator within the Retron 5 seems to be to new. Game doesnt work with the patch. And i was soo excited already.  :'(

MrFwibbles

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2018, 05:23:12 pm »
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!! The patch is already out! Playing it right now and it's awesome!!!
I cant thank enough for your work on this game, i've been a Goemon fan since the snes days and to have another entry in englishh is like a dream!!
The game is a really really neat rpg, good ol' Konami doesn't dissapoint there! but the only grip i have is like some of the rpg's of that era, you cant see what armor can equip your party members so you end buying one of the newer ones and keep trying equipping it until one of your pcs can equip it. This is time consuming and it would be much more efficient if every one had a distintive armor/globe icon, but hey i cant complain!!  :D :D :D
There's a helper NPC that you can recruit in one of the early towns (they're a bit hard to miss), who will appear in shops to show you who can equip which items.

Unfortunately the NES emulator within the Retron 5 seems to be to new. Game doesnt work with the patch. And i was soo excited already.  :'(
If there's no way to roll the emulator back to a previous version or for you to use a different emulator, sorry but you won't be able to play this on the Retron 5. I've heard that you can factory reset the Retron 5 and then upgrade to an old firmware version on an SD card, maybe that will help? I've never used one though, so can't confirm anything.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 05:32:54 pm by MrFwibbles »

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2018, 06:41:53 pm »
Yay! Thanks a lot for the release! Congratulations on the birth of your niece, too  :) I've just started my playthrough and it looks really fun. I'm a lot into the nes/snes era of jrgs, so to me this is like a birthday present, (mostly because it will be in a few days, hehe).

By the way, I don't recall the prequel having any option for viewing the world map in-game. I suppose that's due to games from that era relying a lot in the packaging (instruction booklet and/or printed map) that came with it. But... is it possible to do so in this one? I've also made some research on the internet in case I find some Japanese site that has scans of the world map of one or both games but haven't had any luck so far finding anything noteworthy (this blurry mass of pixels is what I've managed to find https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbG-t4SL5Tc_eAr04izezxq_7FFIl5UB-xUxnkUkUxtel16Lo0).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 06:47:57 pm by aqualung »

MrFwibbles

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2018, 07:33:25 pm »
No, there's no in-game world map. However, there is this drawing from a guide book that somebody put on eBay:

xttx

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2018, 08:28:54 pm »
Nice! Just edited the nestopia database.xml file and got this working nicely with nestopia! Plays and looks great! Thanks so much! Gonna sit down and sink my teeth into this one!  ;) :cookie:

MrFwibbles

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2018, 09:26:41 pm »
Oh really? Could you please explain what exactly you did to get it working in Nestopia?

xttx

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2018, 09:52:44 pm »
Sure man! Nestopia for the most part will play hacks, translations, with no problem but back around 1.37 i think it was basically changed that certain mappers were moved to the database.xml file exclusively for some reason and you needed to supply the pin wiring info, etc.

The mapper Ganbare Goemon Gaiden 2 is on is one of those mappers. The database.xml has a bunch of crc's attached to those games on those mappers. If you play the original unmodified game then it is fine, but when you apply the patch to the game it alters the crc and when you go to load the game it will throw the unsupported mapper error because the crc's do not match. The mapper is obviously supported, so basically after patching the rom, if you add an entry into the xml file for it with the correct info, when the game loads it will find the crc and work correctly.

This is the reason why ALOT of the konami famicom games especially throw that error. It's pretty silly. Easy to add, but silly nonetheless, at least to me.

Let me know if that makes sense.  ;D

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2018, 09:24:47 pm »
Is always a nice moment to get another JRPG translated, especially if it's one from Goemon's saga  :happy:

Congrats for the release, MrFwibbles  :thumbsup: And thanks a lot for your valuable contribution to the scene.

werewolfslayr925

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2018, 11:30:19 am »
Woah, hey! I was very surprised to see this on the front page and even more surprised to see that you had translated it! (I do recall you saying that you weren't going to; glad you changes your mind  ;D ). i enjoyed the first one and am looking forward to buying, dumping, patching, and playing a copy of this.

Oh, and congratulations to you and your fam regarding your niece :3 May she bring much joy to all of you.
As the harbor is welcome to the sailor, so is the last line to the scribe.

- complaint in the margin of a medieval manuscript