News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Ninja Gaiden Studio: A Cut Scene Editing Utility for Ninja Gaiden (in progress)  (Read 1691 times)

darkmoon2321

• View Profile
This is a project I've been working on for a few months, and I have made some good progress on it:

The main window isn't a whole lot to look at right now, but it already allows you to edit the scene scripting through importing and exporting of the data to text files.  Here's an example of what the scene scripting looks like after it has been exported:

Scripting edited via the text files can then be imported back into the ROM and saved.  I have plans to incorporate editing into the GUI itself rather than using txt files, but for now it works well enough to change all aspects of the scene scripting.  It took me a long time to be able to handle all the quirks in the scripting language for the scenes in this game, but it seems to be working pretty well now.  Editing of backgrounds, objects/sprites, and dynamically loaded background images is going to be handled in separate dialog windows.  The background editor is currently functional:

The sprites/OBJ editor window is only partially done currently, and I haven't started the editor dialog for the dynamic background images yet, although they can be viewed in the folder with the ROM after using the "Export All Data" button.  After the image editing dialogs are complete, the plan is to allow editing the scene scripting from within the main window itself and then create a preview pane where you can view parts of the scene to verify the changes you made.  I initially started this project to improve on the quality of the cut-scenes in the Deadpool NG hack, so I have a few extra script commands built into the editor that I created for that hack.  However this editor is fully compatible with the original NG as well.  To prevent any confusion, I will most likely do a separate build without the extra commands, although there is no harm in attempting to use them in the original game (doing so has the same effect as using the "blackout" command).

I have plenty of experience hacking ROMs and making command line utilities, but making a GUI editor is pretty new to me, so I could use some opinions/advice.  In particular, the background editor may be functional, but I'm not happy with the appearance/layout.  I can put some labels on the clipboard viewer and tile viewer, but I still don't really like the way it's organized.  The "Recommend Colors" button makes a popup appear and suggest colors to use to best match the image currently on the clipboard.  I originally wanted it to automatically set the palettes to best match the clipboard image, but the results weren't turning out well, so for the moment I left it up to user discretion on how to set the colors after presenting the recommended ones.  Copying and pasting an external image into the editor DOES work, and matches as well as it can to the current palette, so long as there are enough free tiles in the CHR page to use.  Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V are used for copy and paste operations, and Ctrl+Z / Ctrl+Shift+Z undo/redo actions.  It feels natural to use for me, although relying on keyboard shortcuts without presenting a button or menu interface for the user to see the controls may not be best practice.  There is a "stamp" mode radio button that you can use to paste images directly into the background arrangement with only a click though.  The "show used" checkbox overlays a partially transparent image onto the CHR page showing the usage of tiles: green is unused, orange is used only by the current image, and red is shared or used by other images.

Any feedback is appreciated.

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
Brilliant! This looks great.

The background editor has some great features already. For the usage overlay, perhaps you could have a mode to show a count of how many times the tile is used, and maybe highlight it a different color if it's used in another scene, so the user doesn't inadvertently overwrite a tile used in multiple scenes. The auto color matching is a great idea. How about if the UI pops up a grid of the colors found in the imported bitmap; when the user clicks a color in the grid, the UI emphasizes those pixels somehow (perhaps shading all the others darker temporarily); and the user can click one of the palette colors to create the color mapping between the source bitmap and the ROM palettes. So you can build your color mapping manually, if for some reason you want to tweak the program's algorithmic guess.

It would be cool if it could analyze the imported bitmap for unique 8x8 tiles, performing any mirroring/aliasing as necessary. Then it could tell the user how many unique CHR tiles must be imported. If it were possible to see some different backgrounds (in the current scene, or ideally, any scene) in the UI and designate tiles to overwrite in that view, I think that would be great. Let's say I'm replacing Foster with Spider-Man. So I know I can overwrite all the tiles for Foster, and it would be nice to see an image of him and go click-click-click (or click-drag to select a rectangle) to designate tiles I'm willing to overwrite. It would also be cool to designate tiles in the imported bitmap that are irrelevant and should not be imported.

Other ideas:
Can the program resequence cutscenes in the game? If I recall, this is a simple vector in memory, but it would be nice to have in the program. What about the Act-X screens? Can the user dictate when these show up? There is at least one series where it's a cutscene, an Act screen, and another cutscene. Is it possible to make an arbitrary-length series of cutscenes after a single level? This would simplify some of my goals.

Is it possible to resequence shots in the scene? For example, let's say I want to have the intro scene start with Ryu reading the letter, then cut to the ninjas running in the field, then back to Ryu reading, then to ninjas jumping, then back to Ryu reading, then to ninjas landing. In the ++version, I would like to compose a scene using existing shots from several scenes. For example, during Foster's lecture, replace the shots of Ryu with the up-close shot of his eyes.

Can the user change the number of shots in the scene? I suspect decreasing is easy, but increasing the number might not be.

Is it possible to shorten a scene to an arbitrary number of shots? If so, and if any number of scenes can be strung together between levels, then I have the ability to compose what looks like a single scene using any shots in the game.  :o

Is it possible to change the music and sound effects in the scene? In the opening scene, there are two songs and some sound effects, but I don't see that in the script output. There are also cutscenes with a specific sound at a specific time (e.g., Irene shooting Ryu). It would be cool to change that sound and the timing of that sound. For example, you could make it sound like Irene shoots Ryu twice.

Can the text speed be changed per line, per shot or per scene? There are times when this might heighten the dramatic or comedic effect.

Lastly, it looks like you're running on Linux. Will the program be compatible with Windows?

Thank you for making such a cool program!

darkmoon2321

• View Profile
The background editor has some great features already. For the usage overlay, perhaps you could have a mode to show a count of how many times the tile is used, and maybe highlight it a different color if it's used in another scene, so the user doesn't inadvertently overwrite a tile used in multiple scenes. The auto color matching is a great idea. How about if the UI pops up a grid of the colors found in the imported bitmap; when the user clicks a color in the grid, the UI emphasizes those pixels somehow (perhaps shading all the others darker temporarily); and the user can click one of the palette colors to create the color mapping between the source bitmap and the ROM palettes. So you can build your color mapping manually, if for some reason you want to tweak the program's algorithmic guess.

The "tile usage" checkbox is intended to show whether a tile is used in another image already, although it only overlays the CHR patten view in the top right, not the current image arrangement.  As for showing a count of how many times the tile is used, the only good way I can think to do that would be to add a status bar, with a little message showing you the number of times the currently selected tile is used in the current image and in other images.  I think trying to list that information for all tiles at once would either end up in clutter or confusion.  I might be able to improve the color matching algorithm and implement it properly, but regardless, the user will be able to change colors at will.  My first attempt at automatically setting the palettes calculated the most frequently used colors in each 16x16 area and attempted to create a list of optimized palettes from that, and then choose based on the number of metatiles for which that palette was optimum.  But it didn't do well in accounting for cases where some of the optimum colors overlapped in between different palettes.  Thus it would create several palettes with mostly the same colors and overall matching would be poor.  I'm sure I can improve it with some more work.

It would be cool if it could analyze the imported bitmap for unique 8x8 tiles, performing any mirroring/aliasing as necessary. Then it could tell the user how many unique CHR tiles must be imported. If it were possible to see some different backgrounds (in the current scene, or ideally, any scene) in the UI and designate tiles to overwrite in that view, I think that would be great. Let's say I'm replacing Foster with Spider-Man. So I know I can overwrite all the tiles for Foster, and it would be nice to see an image of him and go click-click-click (or click-drag to select a rectangle) to designate tiles I'm willing to overwrite. It would also be cool to designate tiles in the imported bitmap that are irrelevant and should not be imported.

It actually already checks the image on the clipboard for matches with current CHR tiles.  Mirroring won't work for background images, that would require sprites.  Being able to see some of the other backgrounds is something I would like to do though.  There are several images that are near copies of each other with only minor changes, and as such all those tiles would be marked as shared, interfering with attempts to paste over the tiles.  I just haven't thought of a good way yet to present all the images with shared tiles and allow the user to mark which ones are ok to overwrite.  There are gridlines between the tiles, so maybe I could add a new select mode and then color in the lines around tiles that are marked as ok to overwrite.  As for designating parts of the imported bitmap that don't need to be copied, that can be done through transparency.  If you are using an external image editor, just make part of the image transparent and it won't try to import that bit.

Other ideas:
Can the program resequence cutscenes in the game? If I recall, this is a simple vector in memory, but it would be nice to have in the program. What about the Act-X screens? Can the user dictate when these show up? There is at least one series where it's a cutscene, an Act screen, and another cutscene. Is it possible to make an arbitrary-length series of cutscenes after a single level? This would simplify some of my goals.

Is it possible to resequence shots in the scene? For example, let's say I want to have the intro scene start with Ryu reading the letter, then cut to the ninjas running in the field, then back to Ryu reading, then to ninjas jumping, then back to Ryu reading, then to ninjas landing. In the ++version, I would like to compose a scene using existing shots from several scenes. For example, during Foster's lecture, replace the shots of Ryu with the up-close shot of his eyes.

Can the user change the number of shots in the scene? I suspect decreasing is easy, but increasing the number might not be.

Is it possible to shorten a scene to an arbitrary number of shots? If so, and if any number of scenes can be strung together between levels, then I have the ability to compose what looks like a single scene using any shots in the game.  :o

Yes to all of this.  The way to change the order of the scenes right now is to export all of them to text files, then re-import them in the locations you want.  There is a dialog box when selecting a scene to import that lets you choose the scene that you want to replace, so it's easy to just use the data from one scene and import it in a new place.  I might add an even simpler option to do this later once I've built scene editing directly into the GUI.  For the length of the cut-scenes and how many shots are displayed, all that is controlled through scripting that the editor can currently change.  The scene will continue until you put an "END_SCENE" command, regardless of how many shots you put in.  The only real limits are ROM space and CHR space.  You do need to keep in mind though that only certain combinations of sprites and backgrounds can appear on screen at the same time, due to their presence in particular CHR pages.  But if you use valid combinations, you can continue to include shots to your hearts content.  You could even take all the data from all scenes and just copy it into a single scene and show everything at once.

Is it possible to change the music and sound effects in the scene? In the opening scene, there are two songs and some sound effects, but I don't see that in the script output. There are also cutscenes with a specific sound at a specific time (e.g., Irene shooting Ryu). It would be cool to change that sound and the timing of that sound. For example, you could make it sound like Irene shoots Ryu twice.

Music and sound effects are started with the "MUSIC" command.  So the original scene with Irene shooting Ryu has this:
TIMER = 0077
BGCOLOR 00 PPUMASKBITS 00
PALETTE_SET  0: 0F 30 30  1: 0F 10 30  2: 0F 10 00  3: 0F 10 30  4: 0F 30 30  5: 0F 30 30  6: 0F 30 30  7: 0F 30 30
MUSIC 3B
WAIT

You can change it to this to add the second shot:
TIMER = 0010
BGCOLOR 00 PPUMASKBITS 00
PALETTE_SET  0: 0F 30 30  1: 0F 10 30  2: 0F 10 00  3: 0F 10 30  4: 0F 30 30  5: 0F 30 30  6: 0F 30 30  7: 0F 30 30
MUSIC 3B
WAIT
TIMER = 0067
MUSIC 3B
WAIT

Just tested, and it works to add the 2nd shot.  Writing script this way takes some getting used to, but it will get easier once editing can be done in the GUI itself.

Can the text speed be changed per line, per shot or per scene? There are times when this might heighten the dramatic or comedic effect.

The text speed can be set for each dialog/message.  Usually there is one dialog per shot, although there could be more.  There is no convenient way to change text speed on a line-by-line basis.  However, there is also the "delay" command within text, which adds a full second until the next character is printed.  It looks like this:
TEXT(2):
  "Ow... <DELAY>Where... <DELAY><BREAK>
   Where am I?"<BREAK>
  <DELAY>"I see the anesthetic is<BREAK&INDENT>
  wearing off."<END>

In the above dialog, the TEXT(2), indicates that there are 3 frames (2+1) in between characters displayed.  If you really needed to change text speed line-by-line, you could do it by creating multiple messages and carefully aligning the timing, probably adding some line breaks to the later messages so that they don't write over the top of the previous one.  Aligning the timing would be tedious though.  I hope to eventually get a preview pane into the editor so that you can immediately see the results of your changes and make timing adjustments and such.

Lastly, it looks like you're running on Linux. Will the program be compatible with Windows?

Thank you for making such a cool program!

Yes, it is coded using Qt, which can be compiled for different platforms.  The rest of the Deadpool team runs Windows, and I've already cross-compiled a couple alpha versions for them to try out.

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
Another thought about designating CHR tiles that can be overwritten... What if the user identifies one or more scenes they are willing to cannibalize entirely? For example, the scene where Malth first appears. Then, any tiles that are unique to that scene can be overwritten.

There are a few times when the cutscene flashes, such as Ryu before the final Jaquio fight. Is this scripted as a "flash" command and duration, or as a discrete series of palette changes? It would be nice to work with in shorthand form, although I suppose it's essentially a macro if you can copy and paste the text of those palette changes. Ditto for the sudden change to grayscale that sometimes occurs.

Being able to edit and view the changes from inside the program would really be impressive. If it saves you time, it would be a good first pass to simply patch a ROM so it starts the player just before the selected scene is triggered, then launch a designated emulator with that ROM.

darkmoon2321

• View Profile
Another thought about designating CHR tiles that can be overwritten... What if the user identifies one or more scenes they are willing to cannibalize entirely? For example, the scene where Malth first appears. Then, any tiles that are unique to that scene can be overwritten.

There are a few times when the cutscene flashes, such as Ryu before the final Jaquio fight. Is this scripted as a "flash" command and duration, or as a discrete series of palette changes? It would be nice to work with in shorthand form, although I suppose it's essentially a macro if you can copy and paste the text of those palette changes. Ditto for the sudden change to grayscale that sometimes occurs.

Being able to edit and view the changes from inside the program would really be impressive. If it saves you time, it would be a good first pass to simply patch a ROM so it starts the player just before the selected scene is triggered, then launch a designated emulator with that ROM.

Well, right now an image is automatically cannibalized if it is no longer used in any scenes.  But I do think it is a good idea to add a feature into the bg/sprite editors to allow selection of tiles or whole images that can be replaced.  As for the flashing, yes there is a command specifically made for this, rather than a series of palette changes.  So fortunately that effect is very straightforward to add or remove.  As for instances where the image is converted to grayscale without flashing, the original programmers always did that by setting the palette directly.  However, there is another command that they could have used to do it, and honestly I don't know why they didn't because it seems a lot more convenient.

I'm confident that I can make a convenient interface to edit the scene data directly from the editor, it's just the viewer part I'm worried about, since animated scenes in Qt is new for me.  I did make some more progress on the sprite editor, but not done yet.  Here's a screenshot showing the ability to overlay a transparent background image to make it easier to draw certain sprites:

This one shows an image from the Deadpool hack.  The original used those scattered sprites as a color-fill for the background, and the artists on the team had a hell of a time trying to arrange and draw the tiles properly.  There is a transparency slider so that the background can be partially hidden or shown in full color depending on what you want to see at the moment.

lastdual

• View Profile
This is very cool. Beyond the cut scenes, might you expand the tool for other functions? I know it would likely be tricky, but an option to make walls (some or all of them) climbable like ladders would be awesome.

I'm still itching for a version of NG1 with NG2's wall climbing.

darkmoon2321

• View Profile
This is very cool. Beyond the cut scenes, might you expand the tool for other functions? I know it would likely be tricky, but an option to make walls (some or all of them) climbable like ladders would be awesome.

I'm still itching for a version of NG1 with NG2's wall climbing.

I already did that for the Deadpool hack.  If you want a separate patch for NG with just the wall climbing feature added I can put that here, no need to try to build stage editing functionality into the cut-scene editor:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2dds0xi3sazwdt6/NG_wallhack_and_Ryu_colors.ips

It's a little different from NG2's climbing mechanics though in that you can climb to the top of the wall without jumping.  However there are some places where you still can't get up the top of the wall due to weird collision properties.  Also, that ips allows you to change Ryu's palette in different rooms by changing values in the array at x31C0.  I previously made this patch for another hacker, hence the inclusion of the palette hack.

lastdual

• View Profile
Awesome! This is just the motivation I needed for another playthrough of the original. Thanks a ton :thumbsup:

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
As far as animating, I think I would be content to set a frame count and then manually advance the scene that many frames every time I click a button, if that is more easily accomplished than real-time animation.

I don't quite understand what you mean with the transparent overlay and sprite editing. Do you mean you adjust the transparency slider to restrict what tiles are edited, then edit/replace just those tiles? Also, are you referring to editing in terms of swapping tiles, or at the pixel level within a tile?

Your Deadpool example raises another question: Is it possible to export an image from a scene? This would make small tweaks easier (such as changing Ryu's head to Deadpool's in your example), and otherwise help the user stay within some desired frame size. Perhaps it would be enough simply to take a screenshot of the application with the desired image shown, then edit outside the program and reimport the whole image.

I have gone through the cutscenes to see what additional questions might come up. With the parallax scrolling and panning that happens, is this handled differently for backgrounds vs sprites? Can the speed and duration be changed?

Is there any adjustment possible for the "earthquake" effect, such as the amplitude, frequency or duration? (Unrelated to this application, how feasible do you think it would be to create the earthquake effect during gameplay? Something I have thought about for a long time.)

Thinking about this tool, I went ahead and sketched some dialog and scenes for a hack I'm working on. :)

darkmoon2321

• View Profile
As far as animating, I think I would be content to set a frame count and then manually advance the scene that many frames every time I click a button, if that is more easily accomplished than real-time animation.

I don't quite understand what you mean with the transparent overlay and sprite editing. Do you mean you adjust the transparency slider to restrict what tiles are edited, then edit/replace just those tiles? Also, are you referring to editing in terms of swapping tiles, or at the pixel level within a tile?

Your Deadpool example raises another question: Is it possible to export an image from a scene? This would make small tweaks easier (such as changing Ryu's head to Deadpool's in your example), and otherwise help the user stay within some desired frame size. Perhaps it would be enough simply to take a screenshot of the application with the desired image shown, then edit outside the program and reimport the whole image.

I have gone through the cutscenes to see what additional questions might come up. With the parallax scrolling and panning that happens, is this handled differently for backgrounds vs sprites? Can the speed and duration be changed?

Is there any adjustment possible for the "earthquake" effect, such as the amplitude, frequency or duration? (Unrelated to this application, how feasible do you think it would be to create the earthquake effect during gameplay? Something I have thought about for a long time.)

Thinking about this tool, I went ahead and sketched some dialog and scenes for a hack I'm working on. :)

The transparent overlay is only for the BG portion of the images, not OBJ.  So you are only really editing the OBJ/sprite layer, and the transparent BG image is just there as a reference.  It's useful for situations where instead of having a sprite moving around on the screen, you just want to add some color to the background to get around the 4 colors per tile limitation.  This sort of thing is commonly something that you see for title screens in NES games, but it can be used to great effect in a lot of the NG cut scenes as well.  Editing is going to be done at the pixel level from within that image, as I didn't make a separate editor for individual tiles on the sprite editor.  The reasoning for this is that sprite tiles can overlap, which can make them difficult or annoying to select manually.

I want image editing to be simple enough to do from within the utility itself rather than relying on importing/exporting to external images, but you will be able to use the clipboard or the "load image" button to get sprite data from an external image.  Are you talking about exporting the whole image including both the BG and OBJ layer and importing that back in?  That's a lot more complicated, as it requires generating a new background image and sprite image at the same time, and all the difficulties involved in color-matching both parts within NES palette limitations.  When most people draw a picture in an external editor they aren't thinking about those palette limitations.  Also, depending on the size of the image and the locations of any color-fill OBJ tiles, multiple sprites may need to be generated, since there are only a fixed set of locations within a single sprite where tiles can be placed.

Scrolling for sprites and backgrounds is handled differently yes.  Sprites can have different movement patterns: fixed, linear, "shake", or accelerating.  These are set from within the SPRITESET command, but there is another MOVESPRITE command that can change it afterwards.  But each movement pattern except for fixed has its data defined separately, so you have a limited number of movement patterns available.  The editor can resize the number of movement patterns at will, with a maximum of 64 unique ones for each type.  Each type of movement pattern has different defined properties, such as X/Y velocity both coarse and fine, and acceleration.  The "Shake" effect cycles through a list of pre-defined sprite offsets and loops when it reaches the end.  So it doesn't necessarily need to look like the sprite is shaking, but that is the way that it is used in the original.

For backgrounds, there is a SCROLL_SETUP command that defines the number of scrolling splits and the properties of each.  The location, size, and speed of the parallax scroll splits can be changed, and is handled similarly to sprites in that there is a limit of 64 different unique sets of scrolling parameters that you can define.  The earthquake effect is handled differently and there is a command defined specifically for it.  Similarly to she "shake" movement pattern for sprites, earthquake cycles through a list of predefined scroll positions at a specified rate.  For both parallax scrolling and earthquakes, the effects continue until you manually stop them by calling another command such as SCROLL_SETUP, EARTHQUAKE, SCROLL_STOP, etc.

I sort of made an earthquake during gameplay for the bomb effect in Deadpool, but I cheated a bit by disabling collision for the player and freezing enemies during the effect.  The scroll position is directly tied to environment collision calculations, so environment collision sometimes fails during earthquakes.  It might be fixable though.

Arjak

• View Profile
Can't tell you how excited I am for this! It's really got me thinking about story ideas.

Now, if only there were a decent, easy-to-use level editor that could edit every level and work without me having to jump through hoops...

NiO

• Let's bring order to chaos
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/retrogamersmx/
Damn, lots of work there, Im really excited to use this program, it would kick ass for sure!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 07:00:54 am by NiO »