News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Crystalis [NES] Proofread - grammar and spelling improvement (RC1)  (Read 619 times)

Mister Xiado

• Back from the dead, mostly.
    • View Profile
    • The Homepage of the Oldternet
   I had come across a great many complaints about the grammar and spelling in Crystalis, and having read Webster's 9th Collegiate Dictionary about 30 years ago and doing nothing with the information acquired, I determined that I must do something useful with my free time. I've never done anything closer to a ROM hack than figuring out new Gameshark codes for Darkwing Duck for Game Boy, so while I don't think that I have broken anything, more eyes cannot hurt. I have played through about 60% of the game, on top of using save states to jump ahead to check NPC text, and so far, everything looks alright. No text jumping out of the boxes, no random sprites showing up in text. Lamentably, the original code is a bit messy, with lacking in the way of slack room, so there may yet be a few items that could stand fixing. Nevertheless, I believe I've cleaned up all of the misused instances of "it's", added commas where appropriate (and possible), reworded some particularly messy text, and fixed a slew of minor items. I would consider this version of the patch to be complete, but I would appreciate it if someone could give it a test run to spot any egregious errors on my part, or that I may have overlooked.

tl;dr: I think I un-████ed the writing in Crystalis to a satisfactory degree.

Before and After, in one egregious case of what the heckery. While a "that" would make the sentence better, it would not fit in the space allotted, due to the limited word table.

http://www.mediafire.com/?qt181nrkgyr42

My advance gratitude.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:19:34 pm by Mister Xiado »
Current project: (none)
The Homepage of the Oldternet - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
Youtube

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
Re: Crystalis [NES] Proofread - grammar and spelling improvement (RC1)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 10:56:50 am »
Cool, I’m actually playing through this right now, will it work on a game in progress?

Mister Xiado

• Back from the dead, mostly.
    • View Profile
    • The Homepage of the Oldternet
Re: Crystalis [NES] Proofread - grammar and spelling improvement (RC1)
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 03:12:49 pm »
Quote from: ThegreatBen
will it work on a game in progress?
Since it only changes the text while adhering to the space limitations in the code, and changes none of the addressing, it won't goof off if you load a save file or save state from the original game. I just did about 40% of this while sleep deprived, so I was asking if people could find anything that had been broken that I might have missed. Thanks for testing.

Well, since I've gotten zero response from any community, I consider this a 1.0 release, and have submitted it for addition to the site. I could find nothing that necessitated changing without rearranging the entire ROM, so huzzah?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 05:13:44 pm by Mister Xiado »
Current project: (none)
The Homepage of the Oldternet - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
Youtube