News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Breath of Fire 2 hex data discoveries  (Read 1135 times)

ChaosPrime8

• View Profile
Breath of Fire 2 hex data discoveries
« on: July 01, 2018, 02:22:57 am »
(Credit goes to Justin3009 for helping me find a starting point when it comes to searching music related bytes). 

When using a hex editor, I was able to discover the locations of background music and individual battle themes. for most of the locations and non-random battles, the data banks are found at:

00C0F0-00C13D (mostly boss battles)

00AF80-00B0B3 ( most dungeons and towns). 

xander

• View Profile
Re: Breath of Fire 2 hex data discoveries
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 12:11:20 am »
Would this aid in the making of an msu1 version of this game?
xander

ChaosPrime8

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 07:17:09 am »
I know nothing about msu nor have I ever got involved. this is for anyone who wants to change the background music. 

the music bytes start at 11 hexadecimal.  for example, the first battle theme "cross counter" is byte 33, the boss theme "i'll do it" is 17. the dungeon music "what is it?" is 14 and the overworld theme "we are rangers" is 32 while "our journey" is 1F and "breath of fire" is 1C

RedScorpion

• View Profile
    • Snes-Projects
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 09:01:30 am »
Hi folks,

the msu in snes games works with a hook in the audio play/stop/trackselect routine! If you can find this, you can add a hook to the a free space in the rom and load the msu needed asm. Here you can load the tracknumber like 1C and the msu asm will check, is a msu track available in the root of the game.

you have to find the point, where the game load the track und control play and stop etc. command!

Thanks

red