News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario RPG - Party Size  (Read 896 times)

Darth_Alicious

• View Profile
Super Mario RPG - Party Size
« on: July 27, 2018, 07:30:49 pm »
Hello,

I am just getting started with rom hacking, and I'd like to make an more challenging/strategic version of one of my old favorites, Super Mario RPG. One thought I had that I was wondering if is even possible: could there be a way to have all five characters in battle at once? It always bothered me that only three of the heroes could be on the field at a time, especially since my other favorite, FF4, could have up to five. I would love to build my hack around having them all out at once.

Any suggestions as to how to do this?

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario RPG - Party Size
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 03:10:11 am »
I am just getting started with rom hacking
I can tell you that people with much more experience have tinkered extensively with SMRPG at this point.  It is not necessarily impossible, but if there was a remotely easy way to do what you propose, someone would have done it by now.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 07:26:44 am »
Adding more characters to a 8-16 bit era RPG type setup is probably going to be one of the more tedious things you can do. However I don't imagine for a moment that you won't face a million memory issues, and then some graphics issues (adding two more characters plus animations... you only have 64K to play with), and then some AI issues and possibly battle flow issues as it will be designed for three people, and then some balance issues (a general rule of balance will be something like take combined def of characters, don't have monsters exceed that and then with you sticking in two extra characters everything is comparably easy).

You will still have the balance issues, and I would think twice about doing it for a first major hack, but if you wanted to add a function to tag in and out characters in the middle of battle that would dodge a lot of the problems. While none would be trivial I imagine the hardest part would be sorting any experience gained.

Darth_Alicious

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 11:37:22 am »
Thanks for the replies! I figured it would be challenging if not impossible. The tag-in idea was my second thought, so maybe I'll look at that.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 11:50:30 pm »
The tag-in idea is much more doable. Still pretty difficult to implement and work with but definitely a lot more doable than all five characters. There'd be a ton of memory issues, VRAM issues and yeah. Just all around awful to even attempt.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'