News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Submitting patches that include copyrighted data to the site  (Read 658 times)

acediez

• View Profile
I'm in the fence about submiting to the site my undub patches for Mega Man 8 and Mega Man X4. They're currently published on the Personal Projects forum (simply stored in mediafire), but I'm not sure they fall within the guidelines of this site as a proper release. They're 200mb+ patches each that obviously include plenty of data from the original discs, mostly because of the subbed video files that, while modified, they're still copyrighted material. Besides, the discs had to be completely rebuilt to fit the increased size of files, so I'm not sure a different method of patching is even possible.

What's your stance on such cases? Should I submit them on the site anyway? Or keep them out of it?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 12:10:41 am by acediez »

SCO

• View Profile
Re: Submitting patches that include copyrighted data to the site
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 12:03:45 am »
Like some other projects, it's fine to 'create' a page to them even if you don't link to the patch itself (Final Fantasy Type 0 is one such case).
There are also less stringent borderline cases where a externally hosted patch is linked because of the space restrictions of romhacking.net.

This might be considered useless, but it's actually quite useful for scripted tools and documentation of the last version of the patch, team members, md5sums, readmes etc.

For example, i use romhacking pages with a tool i created to check when a patch needs a update and to create dat files for the patches applied to the rom checksum (which i then submit to retroarch for the patches and games i actually have).

The romhacking page metadata is not the best for this (because the checksums sometimes aren't in a standard format and are difficult to parse and are often wrong), but just the update check is useful and doing the checksum locally is not so bad if you have the games.

So yes, you'll not be able to host the patches here, or probably even link them, but I for one would appreciate that the page was created anyway and the version updated once in a while.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 12:15:58 am by SCO »

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 07:57:56 pm »
I didn't know people were using this site externally as a database. In that case, uploading and keeping up with updates even if the download link stays offsite definitely makes sense. Thanks for giving your take!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 07:57:56 pm »
Legend of Dragoon got around this issue by a rather different patching method.  No actual undubs are in the patcher, but it used the data from the Japanese version.

The majority of PS1 undubs I can't even find in patch form though, perhaps copyrighted material is the main reason?

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 09:11:38 pm »
I didn't know people were using this site externally as a database. In that case, uploading and keeping up with updates even if the download link stays offsite definitely makes sense. Thanks for giving your take!
I'm don't know about that.. if it contains copyrighted data, its comparatively like linking offsite to a whole ROM. You may want to study other undub hacks here and how they did it.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 04:55:42 pm »
I'm thinking that maybe the best approach would be to submit it as a detailed guide that includes the files I made from scratch (subtitle files), the list of tools used (all freeware, most of them available on this site), and my scripts to ease parts of the process. Then people can build it themselves and customize it further to their liking, may even be useful as a beginners tutorial for some. People who don't care about romhacking and just want to play the game can go look for it elsewhere.

MarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 10:25:50 am »
Include hash numbers for the unzipped/uncompressed files. Makes it easier to spot if one actually has the real file they want.