News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X6 Tweaks (v2.4)  (Read 152802 times)

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X6 Tweaks (v15)
« Reply #420 on: July 16, 2019, 09:43:52 am »
I can understand not wanting to get into dealing with individual armor sprites but is it possible to use unarmored X as the visual until the armor is complete? Thus being able to see the armor is sort of a reward for collecting the whole thing.

Either way great work you've done, thank you.

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 16, 2019, 10:42:40 am »
I can understand not wanting to get into dealing with individual armor sprites but is it possible to use unarmored X as the visual until the armor is complete? Thus being able to see the armor is sort of a reward for collecting the whole thing.

I agree. I don't know how possible this would be but in X4, turning on the Ultimate Armor code turns X purple until you get the armor. Maybe something similar could be done here?

DannyPlaysSomeGames

• Wait, this isn't Burger King
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 16, 2019, 12:48:59 pm »
It’s both :)
A small modification in Amazon Area, and Blade Armor keeping the regular buster.
Armor abilities and enhancements are now linked to their individual armor parts instead of the armor itself. You will now get access to the armor as soon as you get the first armor part, and other abilities will be added when you get the rest or it, just like you would in X1-X4 (sprites will still show the whole armor though, I’m not gonna get into that mess).
Not quite the X8 “mixed parts” style, but at least you won’t have to wait until you complete an armor, usually pretty far into the game, to start using what you’ve collected.
Great job on the progress made so far. I never really noticed the blind jump, but for others it was probably annoying. Good to see these minor level edits solving issues. As for the armor, you did a great job. I feel like the whole "displaying individual parts" thing shouldn't be that hard, considering how the individual armor parts are already separate sprites, so the code could just be "if x armor part not acquired then erase/hide x graphics", but I assume your response says otherwise. While I'm not saying you should add the feature, I feel like it should warrant a bit of investigation, unless you already did and assumed it was too much trouble. Still, it's your project, and your the one who decides what goes in it, not to say that what you've done so far is great. I was just merely suggesting ideas to see on how it could work. Either way, nice.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 12:57:23 pm by DannyPlaysSomeGames »
Hey there

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 16, 2019, 01:06:07 pm »
I feel like the whole "displaying individual parts" thing shouldn't be that hard,
lmao

I agree. I don't know how possible this would be but in X4, turning on the Ultimate Armor code turns X purple until you get the armor. Maybe something similar could be done here?
Since each armor player file has a separate copy of X’s palette, this is pretty feasible. First I’d need to make sure all armor related moves load fine without the armor overlay. Let’s see how it goes.

edit: seems to work fine. This opens up another issue though, having to switch the mugshot file (and its color palette) based on this... So I think I'll just leave it as it is for now. Maybe I'll come back to it after the next release.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 01:45:07 pm by acediez »

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 16, 2019, 02:36:54 pm »
Another issue would be making sure any color choices you make don't conflict with the weapons.

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 16, 2019, 03:00:31 pm »
I feel like the whole "displaying individual parts" thing shouldn't be that hard, considering how the individual armor parts are already separate sprites
The armors are not stored as individual pieces, they are a single solid piece.
Spoiler:

You'd have to:
1) cut up all the graphics (and recompress them, but the only available tool (made by me) only decompresses the graphics).
2) redo all the sprite assembly (and any other related data).
3) add code to show individual armor pieces (if that functionality was removed; it can already turn on/off armor, but it may not be able to handle pieces anymore).

All this makes for a VERY difficult/annoying task (and is currently impossible due to the lack of a compressor).

DannyPlaysSomeGames

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 16, 2019, 09:42:45 pm »
My bad. I confused the whole ordeal about armor parts. I confused "armor parts already being separated" with "X's overlapped sprites being complete sprites". I thought that maybe you could erase/override with blank space certain sections of the armor, but I see that is a far more complicated matter. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

However, I do have a possible alternative; instead of displaying the armor right away, display a different palette for X until he gets the complete armor (kind of like in X4 in which X had a special purple palette before he got the Ultimate Armor). Like maybe X's palette would be a much darker tone when using the Shadow Armor, or have it be a more neon green  when using Blade Armor. I feel like it would be the best way of displaying an incomplete Armor, without displaying the complete armor, but being able to easily distinguish it from vanilla X. Again, these are just my ideas, and it's really up to acediez if he really wants to add it or not. Sorry if I sound very needy, I just really like contributing to this thread.
Hey there

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 16, 2019, 10:21:29 pm »
My bad. I confused the whole ordeal about armor parts. I confused "armor parts already being separated" with "X's overlapped sprites being complete sprites". I thought that maybe you could erase/override with blank space certain sections of the armor, but I see that is a far more complicated matter. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

However, I do have a possible alternative; instead of displaying the armor right away, display a different palette for X until he gets the complete armor (kind of like in X4 in which X had a special purple palette before he got the Ultimate Armor). Like maybe X's palette would be a much darker tone when using the Shadow Armor, or have it be a more neon green  when using Blade Armor. I feel like it would be the best way of displaying an incomplete Armor, without displaying the complete armor, but being able to easily distinguish it from vanilla X. Again, these are just my ideas, and it's really up to acediez if he really wants to add it or not. Sorry if I sound very needy, I just really like contributing to this thread.
I don't even think that's necessary. You could just do what the GBC games do and not have the armor appear until it's complete.

It would be a bit jarring on a game with more advanced hardware, but considering the limitations at hand and that this is a fan project, I feel it would be more than acceptable.

Cupshadow

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 19, 2019, 02:35:26 pm »
I have one question.
Is it possible to fix the rainy turtloid stage when you try to go to the capsule. The way is too narrow and also covered with spikes. Is it possible to expand it?

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 11, 2019, 09:47:21 am »
Hello again. I'm halfway through my test run on real hardware, everything good so far. So here it is, finally

You probably can tell by the time it took that the jump from "v15" to "v16" involved major rewrites, both in the hacks and the patcher tool, so I'm jumping to "v2.0" instead. It's gonna be "v2.0 RCx" until I test it a bit more and make sure it's ready to publish it on this site and other places. So everyone who was willing to give it a test run, now it's the time. Please report any bugs or weirdness you run into. There's bound to be some.

(RC1 to RC3 were here)

And, what's new? Pretty much everything I've mentioned here ever since v15 was released about a year ago. Retranslation, voice clips, custom mugshots, player mechanics, damage tables, armor by parts, etc. I just went through the whole set of features for the readme, so I'm just gonna copy it all below. You can also check some highlights with screenshots in the updated first post.

The patch and included profiles come in three self explanatory forms nows. There's no longer a "light" and "complete" profile. The big difference there was the removed content (Alia's dialogues and Nightmare Effects), but since these can now be changed in-game (in the "Localization" profiles), there was no need for that. Instead, the new profiles are:

"Localization", which comes with the retranslated script, restored title screen, menu hacks and restored voice clips (a selection of them, the rest is in the patcher).
"Localization+Custom Art", which includes all of Metalwario64's beautiful mugshots and palette tweaks.

As always, these are just samples, and all of these features can be selected individually in the patcher.

Features from previous versions:

Parts, Ranks, and Nightmare Souls:
- Parts are no longer permanently missable (see Rescuable Reploids)
- Parts allowance by Rank has been edited from 0/0/0/1/2/2/3/4 to 1/1/1/2/2/3/4/4 so you can equip at least one part right from the start.
- Rank progression has been edited from to 0/200/300/500/800/1500/5000/9999 to 0/200/300/500/800/1500/3000/5000, so Level 4 boss battle start sooner (Rank PA, 3000), and the newly added unlockables of Rank UH can be reached without excessive grinding.
- Story scenes unlocked by reaching 3000 are now split and set to match Rank PA (3000) and Rank UH (5000) respectively. As noted above, this allows you to encounter Nightmare Zero Lvl. 4, which isn’t possible in the original game (Lvl. 4 bosses appear at Rank PA, Rank PA requires 5000 souls, but at 3000 souls the game would trigger an event that would make Nightmare Zero not appear anymore).
- Dynamo’s Green Orbs drops have been increased from 200 to 400 souls (each). If you’re grinding souls with Dynamo, you might as well get it over with faster.

Rescuable Reploids, Nightmare Virus:
- Rescuable Reploids reappear after getting infected or killed, as if you’ve never encountered them.
- All rescuable Reploids not holding any items are marked as “MISSING” at the start of the game, drastically reducing the number of Reploids clogging stages (keeping only the ones that matter).
- Rescuable Reploids no longer give extra lives and health. Instead, you get a consistently higher number of lives (from 2 normal/4 with EX Tank, to 4 normal/6 with EX Tank).
- Nightmare Virus’ Blue Orbs will always appear (would normally reappear only after a Nightmare Effects has been activated for the corresponding stage)
- Blue Orbs left alone won't turn back into a Nightmare Virus

Player Mechanics:
- Shared Character Stats: X and Zero now share Heart Tanks, Life Up parts, Energy Up parts, Souls, and Rank.
- Dash and Air Dashes with the Hyper Dash part equipped have been made a bit longer.
- Unarmored X and Shadow Armor now also have the ability to Air Dash.
- Height of Zero’s Hyoroga and Shadow Armor’s ceiling jump has been increased (enough to reach Rainy Turtloid’s ceiling).

Unlockables:
- Beating Nightmare Zero on Lvl. 4 unlocks Zero's Black Armor. This is coded in the original game, but the original souls requirements for Ranks/events wouldn’t allow it to happen normally.
- When X and Zero reach Rank UH, the Ultimate Armor and Black Armor will be unlocked respectively.
- Cheat Code 1 (Ultimate Armor) now gives both Ultimate Armor and Black Zero.
- Cheat Code 2 (Black Zero) has now been repurposed to start the game with Zero, making a Zero vs. Nightmare Zero match possible (you can have him earn his Black Armor himself)
- Both cheat codes can be combined.

Others:
- “Exit Stage” button always available.

New and updated features:

Localization:
- Script based on DuoDynamo's incomplete translation. NectarHime's script rewrite was used to fill the gaps.
- Font replacement for stage dialogues and menus (Gemini's Blood of Bahamut)
- Variable font spacing for both the new font and the regular one.
- Restored all missing voice clips from the japanese version (and prototype). Some are included on the default patch, the rest are available as patcher tool options. (Hack Credits: DarkSamus933, initial research).
- Title screen from japanese version, with official "Mega Man" logo edited in (Art Credits: Metalwario64)

Player Mechanics (X):
- Activate Incomplete Armors: Armor abilities and enhancements are now linked to their individual armor parts instead of the armor itself. You can now get access to the armor as soon as you get the first part and get its abilities progressively, like you would in X1-X4.
- Blade Armor: "Hybrid Mach Dash" controls. You can have both the normal behavior of the Mach Dash (with a stop mid-air) when pressing "jump", and a immediate, more maneuverable air dash with the "dash" button. Speed and duration of either can be set separately.
- Blade Armor: improved "Hold/Release" input option. Direction press will also count as "hold", as it does on a regular Dash.
- Shadow Armor: when sticking to walls, you can also slide down by pressing down.
- Improved control of the Saber animation. Cooldown has been shortened.
- To balance the shortened Saber animation, dash cancelling has been removed (can still be enabled to both X and Shadow X in the patcher).
- Falcon Armor's Air Dash jump button input has been removed.

Player Mechanics (Zero):
- Sentsuizan: improved "Hold/Release" input option. Tremor sound effect won't play if the technique is cancelled before it makes contact. Direction press will also count as "hold", as it does on a regular Dash.
- Sentsuizan: input has been remapped (from Up + Attack to Down + Special)
- Ensuizan: "Air Move mode". Can now only be used in the air, but let's you do multiple spins in a row by holding the button.
- Ensuizan: input has been remapped (from Down + Special anywhere, to Special in the air)
- Control of the third slash Saber animation. Cooldown has been shortened.

Damage Table:
- Blade Armor: Charged buster damage has been increased (now handled by modifying damage tables instead of external code).
- Blade Armor: Charged saber "tip" contact deals +1 damage against all enemies
- Zero: Z-Buster damage has been slightly reduced against bosses
- Damage against Nightmare Snake has been doubled.
- Damage against Commander Yammark has been slightly reduced.

Boss Health Bars:
- Commander Yammark and Ground Scaravich have increased Health Bars. Others received minor modifications for consistency.
- Nightmare Snake health bar has been cut in half (this, and the x2 damage buff by damage tables, match the x4 damage buff in previous versions of the patch)
- Nightmare Mother health bar has been cut in half (matches the x2 damage buff in previous versions of the patch).

Stage modifications:
- Amazon Area: the ceiling has been extended on the equally infamous blind jump in the section with transport enemies over spikes.
- Secret Lab 1: removed a few spikes to reduce Armor/Parts requirements to be able to go through. X can now pass through using only Ice Burst (and dash jumping very carefully)
- Secret Lab 2-2 (X): a platform can be added to the infamous jump section (Credit: DarkSamus933)
- Recycle Lab/Secret Lab 2-2(Zero): if crouching safely on a tight spot and let go of the down button, you'll be locked in the crouch position until the ceiling rises (instead of getting immediately killed).

Custom menu options:
- Navigator (Alia alerts) and Nightmare Effects can be enabled/disabled anytime during gameplay from the setting menu within the pause menu.

Cutscenes voiceover
- Voice-over won't be cut when pressing the button to display the whole block of text, will be cut when moving to the next page instead.
- Slight speed up of text.

Unlockables:
- Cheat Code 2 (Unlock Zero): You will now start using Zero from the Intro Stage.
- Unlockable by Rank UH: A message in the "Mission Report" screen will notify any secret armor unlocked by reaching Rank UH.
- A flashing effect was added when Zero himself gets the black armor by defeating Lvl. 4 Nightmare Zero. Normally, it would simply change to the black palette immediately.

Custom art:
- Custom mugshots for characters that didn't have one: the intro stage Hunter and Dr. Light (Art Credits: Metalwario64)
- Cleaned up and custom mugshots for existing characters (Art Credits: Metalwario64)
- Custom palette options for X's Ultimate Armor and Nightmare Zero (Art Credits: Metalwario64)

Fixes from the original games:
- Fixed swapped icons for the Hyper Dash and Speedster Parts
- Fixed the "overwright" typo on the Save File screen

Tweaks Patcher additional options:
- Nightmare Effects: Can still be permanently removed (apart from the new custom menu options)
- Dialogues: Stage Alia calls and "briefing" dialogues can still be permanently removed (apart from the new custom menu options)
- Intro: Skip Capcom intro video, skip opening video.
- Player Mechanics: More complete set of Dash parameters to tweak. Double-jump and double-tap inputs can now be disabled.
- Player Mechanics: Frame-by-frame controls for the animation timming of X's Saber, Zero's ground combo cooldown, and the Z-Buster.
- Player Mechanics: Attachment to ceiling can be set unlimited (Shadow Armor, Zero's Hyoroga)
- Player Mechanics: X's Saber can be set cancellable by dashing, both normal and with Shadow Armor.
- Balance: Boss health bar size controls, by level. Includes sub-bosses health bars.
- New Game Status: Randomize Parts carried by Rescuable Reploids.
- Localization: Additional title screen options, including the original japanese version.
- Localization: Additional voice clips can be selected separately, adding two not included in the sample profile (title screen "Rockman X6", and vocalized boss "Warning" from the Prototype version)
- Custom Art: Individual selection of mugshots by Metalwario64.
- Custom Art: Colors scheme options for X Ultimate Armor (mugshot and sprite palette).
- Stage Mechanics: Auto-crouching for Recycle Lab/Secret Lab 2-2 (Zero). If the ceiling crushes you in a tight spot where you would've survived crouching, you'll crouch automatically and stay locked in this position until the ceiling rises.
- Stage Mechanics: Recycle Lab/Secret Lab 2-2 (Zero), ceiling movement can be completely disabled.
- Damage Tables: Complete access to all damage tables. Damage values can be modified by enemy/by attack.
- Damage Tables: Gate and High Max can be made vulnerable to normal attacks
- A few more smaller things.

Known issues
- Script: On some cutscenes, character names don't have the same colors they have in the original game.
- Activate Incomplete Armors: Shadow Armor will always have the Buster sound effect and saber color palette from the complete armor, even if the corresponding Parts haven't been collected yet.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 03:01:04 pm by acediez »

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X6 Tweaks (v2.0, now with Retranslation!)
« Reply #430 on: September 11, 2019, 12:55:00 pm »
Wow, awesome work cant wait to try.

Love the options for the Recycle Lab.

fianovale

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 11, 2019, 02:53:49 pm »
Thanks for all the work, ill try it very soon!

AxlRocks

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 11, 2019, 04:37:26 pm »
Cool! I'm so glad you went to the trouble to include the option to use a gold palette on the Ultimate Armor's sprite/mugshot! Can't wait to test this out in a little bit, ton of great stuff added this time :)

DannyPlaysSomeGames

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 11, 2019, 09:06:25 pm »
:woot!: Glad to hear you're close on completing 2.0! I'm honestly impressed by how much new and revamp you've done to the entire game, it's extremely stunning. Can't wait to see the polished final product.
Hey there

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: September 11, 2019, 10:43:18 pm »
I just found and fixed a problem, related to player mugshots changing on the fly if an incomplete armor is completed while in use. I updated the links in my last post.

Can't wait to see the polished final product.
This is pretty much it though. Now I'm just testing for bugs.

Cool! I'm so glad you went to the trouble to include the option to use a gold palette on the Ultimate Armor's sprite/mugshot! Can't wait to test this out in a little bit, ton of great stuff added this time :)
You have to thank Metalwario64 for that, he insisted on working on those. He even made a new custom blue/gold palette, and made mugshots variants to match all options  :woot!:

Love the options for the Recycle Lab.
I've been meaning to do it for some time, but it took me awhile to figure it out.

I have one question.
Is it possible to fix the rainy turtloid stage when you try to go to the capsule. The way is too narrow and also covered with spikes. Is it possible to expand it?
Minor touchups like that are not much of a problem, but on this case I don't think it needs to be changed...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 11:00:12 pm by acediez »

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
« Reply #435 on: September 12, 2019, 01:46:43 am »
Hi acediez, congrats for the major update of X6 tweak patcher GUI!
I applied the functions in the latest patcher GUI, built the custom game image, use psx2psp to convert the game to .PBP format and the game runs just fine on the PSP, though I found one scene where the script length have been exceeded the blue text box:

Looks like there's an additional name tag that ate up the text box space.

And I can't seem to find an option to make the Loading Screen logo match the title screen logo from the "JPN CUSTOM (JPN Style Title)" title option.

A suggestion - It'll be even more awesome if there could be "USA CUSTOM (JPN Style Title)" option in reverse, like what I mentioned in earlier posts.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 03:19:52 am by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Tallgeese

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 12, 2019, 02:08:03 am »
First, thank you for all your work.

I presume you also want a list of any retranslation typos, so here is a non-exhaustive one:

Intro Stage:

High Max identifies himself while speaking as "High-Max", but all his textboxes identify the speaker as "High Max" with no hyphen.

---

Post intro stage cutscene, Isoc's speech:

"The macabre nature of this plague have led us" should have the "have led" as "has led."
"I would like to call on for any individuals willing to volunteer", you can drop the "for"
Isoc describes his top operative as "Hi-Max."

---

Signas stage select speech:

no choice but place our hopes (it's missing a "to" inbetween but and place)
You're our only hope (no period)

---

Cutscene after one investigator killed:

Two dots after "keep conducting our experiment" from Gate.

Needle on a haystack, "on" should be "in".

Run-off-the-mill, "off" should be "of".

---

General area start speeches with Alia:

In some cases (Amazon), the word "Area" is capitalized, while in the North Pole it is not. Most areas are capitalized.

---

The limited part Overdrive's description in the weapon menu goes out of the textbox.

---

Ground Scaravich's speech to X:

"Officer" in "Officer X" should be capitalized, as it is a title.

---

Alia speech after defeating Scaravich to X:

"my conscience screamed at me not to o it". o should be "do".

---

Second conversation with Alia as Zero in Heatnix's stage:

"I'm not seeing anything, on my end." Comma is extraneous.

---

Laser Institute:

X's conversation with Alia at the start, "full to the brim with Nightmare." Perhaps it should be "the Nightmare" to line up with most of the game.

When X has a conversation with High Max, he spells it as "Hi-Max."

Alia's speech at mission results screen in this area has double ellipses right next to each other on one line, which looks odd.

---

North Pole:

Mission result speech from Alia says "is team" instead of "his team."

---

Cutscene after defeating six Investigators:

Alia says "even it they were just an imitation." The word "it" is probably meant to be "if."

---

Infinity Mijinion stage:

Alia's mission results speech has "instead to go on his on schedule." Second "on" should be "own."

injoon84

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 12, 2019, 03:36:37 am »
This is incredible!
However, I believe there will be a lot of bug.
I'm sorry acediez, I don't think I have plenty of time to test it out this time.
All I can tell you right now is there is one major bug I notice when run with ePSXe:

In Magma area 2, the game will crash if you try to activate the conversation with Alia.
It shows "unknown opcode 434F525C at A0010008".

I also notice Metal Shark Player name been change to Metal Shark Prayer/Preyer when X and Alia call him.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 12, 2019, 04:43:16 am »
Thanks for all your bug reports so far, everyone! Links above updated to RC3.

Looks like there's an additional name tag that ate up the text box space.
Fixed in RC3!

And I can't seem to find an option to make the Loading Screen logo match the title screen logo from the "JPN CUSTOM (JPN Style Title)" title option.
I haven't made one  :D

A suggestion - It'll be even more awesome if there could be "USA CUSTOM (JPN Style Title)" option in reverse, like what I mentioned in earlier posts.
If someone finds me a clean rip of the PC version than has the "Rockman" logo on the USA background, I suppose I could add it.

I presume you also want a list of any retranslation typos
Yes! Thank you very much!
I went through your whole list, all should be taken care of in RC3.

I'm sorry acediez, I don't think I have plenty of time to test it out this time.
No worries, you've already helped by what you've just reported.
There was a whole text file missing in Magma Area's Hidden Stage, which caused your crash. It's now restored, and all Pre/Prayer's are back to Player.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 12, 2019, 06:05:41 am »
Holy hell, this update is huge. Amazing job!
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.