News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X6 Tweaks (v15)  (Read 83193 times)

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X6 Tweaks (v15)
« Reply #420 on: July 16, 2019, 09:43:52 am »
I can understand not wanting to get into dealing with individual armor sprites but is it possible to use unarmored X as the visual until the armor is complete? Thus being able to see the armor is sort of a reward for collecting the whole thing.

Either way great work you've done, thank you.

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 16, 2019, 10:42:40 am »
I can understand not wanting to get into dealing with individual armor sprites but is it possible to use unarmored X as the visual until the armor is complete? Thus being able to see the armor is sort of a reward for collecting the whole thing.

I agree. I don't know how possible this would be but in X4, turning on the Ultimate Armor code turns X purple until you get the armor. Maybe something similar could be done here?

DannyPlaysSomeGames

• Wait, this isn't Burger King
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 16, 2019, 12:48:59 pm »
It’s both :)
A small modification in Amazon Area, and Blade Armor keeping the regular buster.
Armor abilities and enhancements are now linked to their individual armor parts instead of the armor itself. You will now get access to the armor as soon as you get the first armor part, and other abilities will be added when you get the rest or it, just like you would in X1-X4 (sprites will still show the whole armor though, I’m not gonna get into that mess).
Not quite the X8 “mixed parts” style, but at least you won’t have to wait until you complete an armor, usually pretty far into the game, to start using what you’ve collected.
Great job on the progress made so far. I never really noticed the blind jump, but for others it was probably annoying. Good to see these minor level edits solving issues. As for the armor, you did a great job. I feel like the whole "displaying individual parts" thing shouldn't be that hard, considering how the individual armor parts are already separate sprites, so the code could just be "if x armor part not acquired then erase/hide x graphics", but I assume your response says otherwise. While I'm not saying you should add the feature, I feel like it should warrant a bit of investigation, unless you already did and assumed it was too much trouble. Still, it's your project, and your the one who decides what goes in it, not to say that what you've done so far is great. I was just merely suggesting ideas to see on how it could work. Either way, nice.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 12:57:23 pm by DannyPlaysSomeGames »
Hey there

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 16, 2019, 01:06:07 pm »
I feel like the whole "displaying individual parts" thing shouldn't be that hard,
lmao

I agree. I don't know how possible this would be but in X4, turning on the Ultimate Armor code turns X purple until you get the armor. Maybe something similar could be done here?
Since each armor player file has a separate copy of X’s palette, this is pretty feasible. First I’d need to make sure all armor related moves load fine without the armor overlay. Let’s see how it goes.

edit: seems to work fine. This opens up another issue though, having to switch the mugshot file (and its color palette) based on this... So I think I'll just leave it as it is for now. Maybe I'll come back to it after the next release.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 01:45:07 pm by acediez »

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 16, 2019, 02:36:54 pm »
Another issue would be making sure any color choices you make don't conflict with the weapons.

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 16, 2019, 03:00:31 pm »
I feel like the whole "displaying individual parts" thing shouldn't be that hard, considering how the individual armor parts are already separate sprites
The armors are not stored as individual pieces, they are a single solid piece.
Spoiler:

You'd have to:
1) cut up all the graphics (and recompress them, but the only available tool (made by me) only decompresses the graphics).
2) redo all the sprite assembly (and any other related data).
3) add code to show individual armor pieces (if that functionality was removed; it can already turn on/off armor, but it may not be able to handle pieces anymore).

All this makes for a VERY difficult/annoying task (and is currently impossible due to the lack of a compressor).

DannyPlaysSomeGames

• Wait, this isn't Burger King
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 16, 2019, 09:42:45 pm »
My bad. I confused the whole ordeal about armor parts. I confused "armor parts already being separated" with "X's overlapped sprites being complete sprites". I thought that maybe you could erase/override with blank space certain sections of the armor, but I see that is a far more complicated matter. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

However, I do have a possible alternative; instead of displaying the armor right away, display a different palette for X until he gets the complete armor (kind of like in X4 in which X had a special purple palette before he got the Ultimate Armor). Like maybe X's palette would be a much darker tone when using the Shadow Armor, or have it be a more neon green  when using Blade Armor. I feel like it would be the best way of displaying an incomplete Armor, without displaying the complete armor, but being able to easily distinguish it from vanilla X. Again, these are just my ideas, and it's really up to acediez if he really wants to add it or not. Sorry if I sound very needy, I just really like contributing to this thread.
Hey there

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 16, 2019, 10:21:29 pm »
My bad. I confused the whole ordeal about armor parts. I confused "armor parts already being separated" with "X's overlapped sprites being complete sprites". I thought that maybe you could erase/override with blank space certain sections of the armor, but I see that is a far more complicated matter. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

However, I do have a possible alternative; instead of displaying the armor right away, display a different palette for X until he gets the complete armor (kind of like in X4 in which X had a special purple palette before he got the Ultimate Armor). Like maybe X's palette would be a much darker tone when using the Shadow Armor, or have it be a more neon green  when using Blade Armor. I feel like it would be the best way of displaying an incomplete Armor, without displaying the complete armor, but being able to easily distinguish it from vanilla X. Again, these are just my ideas, and it's really up to acediez if he really wants to add it or not. Sorry if I sound very needy, I just really like contributing to this thread.
I don't even think that's necessary. You could just do what the GBC games do and not have the armor appear until it's complete.

It would be a bit jarring on a game with more advanced hardware, but considering the limitations at hand and that this is a fan project, I feel it would be more than acceptable.

Cupshadow

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 19, 2019, 02:35:26 pm »
I have one question.
Is it possible to fix the rainy turtloid stage when you try to go to the capsule. The way is too narrow and also covered with spikes. Is it possible to expand it?