News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X6 Tweaks/Patcher (v15)  (Read 31243 times)

Z3R0X

• My name's not shane, kid.
    • View Profile
    • My YT channel with mini tools.
Re: Mega Man X6 Tweaks/Patcher (v15)
« Reply #220 on: August 12, 2018, 12:01:56 am »
Has anyone checked into the ability to patch these fixes into Legacy Collection X6 now that it has been out for a few weeks?
There is out of the questions, the exe of the PSX version is compiled for MIPS and the PC is compiled for X86, ace will need to redo everything again.
But X Legacy Collection are BAD LAZY emulation.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 12, 2018, 10:06:01 pm »
I took a quick look at RXC2.exe and found that value tables are exactly the same. This would allow to easily port a few of the projects options, such as:
- Disabling Nightmare Effects
- Rank/Souls table
- Bonus damage values against

... But for ALL the others, it would be as Z3R0X says, doing all the work again from scratch. And I have 0 experience modding PC games, so it's pretty much impossible for me to do a fully-featued patcher for MMXLC2 at the moment.

Would a small, alternate Patcher with just those few options be something people would want? I guess I could do it, but I feel like it would only give people false hope (I don't even own the PC version, I got it on PS4, so it's far from being on my current to-do list)

I'd much rather if someone who does have modding experience did it, there's plenty to take from the documentation I wrote for this project. I'd be very happy if that happens. I don't want this project to detract people from buying MMXLC, it's the opposite. I started both this and my X4 undub in anticipation for it  :)

AxlRocks

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 13, 2018, 12:26:09 am »
Your project doesn't detract me from buying the collections. The collections themselves detract me from buying them. Had you never made this, I still would've felt just as negatively about Capcom not offering optional (because some would rather play the garbage original version, whatever floats your boat) fixes for the problems in X6 after 15 years of fans complaining, and I won't even go into the about 20 other problems with XLC outside of X6.

I think it's probably the same for most of the others who did not buy the collection. It's a lazy cash grab, and it's very rare I use the term "lazy," because it's both overused and misused, but XLC necessitates it.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 14, 2018, 12:36:30 am »
https://steamcommunity.com/app/743900/discussions/0/1746720717353940501/

That's all I can do at the moment  :P
If the addresses aren't the same in your version, just search for the base values.

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
« Reply #224 on: August 14, 2018, 10:27:24 pm »
Tested v15 and it works fine on standard emulator like ePSXe. The repurposed Ultimate Armor/Black Zero secret command is amazing, that makes the long time dream come true which Zero can fight Zero Nightmare normally.

The other features are as awesome as what people thought the description would be. Though there are still windows of customization; the original value of Level. 4 Zero Nightmare's HP always seem to be a little too low, and makes the key fight unlocks Black Zero enhancement less intense. A Zero Nightmare HP modifier on the tweaks patcher would be awesome if it's possible to modify it using current technology.

The current tweaks patcher can modify damage of Blade Armor's saber, how about making normal X and other armors' saber damage also adjustable through the tweaks patcher?

And I don't know if it's possible to modify X's Magma Blade to like X can retain the sword part of Magma Blade even after depleting all weapon energy - Magma Blade still able to use at 0 ammo but lost its fire wave part - and bring the weakness attribute to both fire wave part and sword part.

These possible windows of customization are just some little extra advice I thought about it yesterday.  :laugh: The project is already awesome enough if you keep your original plans to improve it, acediez.
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #225 on: August 15, 2018, 12:27:41 am »
The other features are as awesome as what people thought the description would be. Though there are still windows of customization; the original value of Level. 4 Zero Nightmare's HP always seem to be a little too low, and makes the key fight unlocks Black Zero enhancement less intense. A Zero Nightmare HP modifier on the tweaks patcher would be awesome if it's possible to modify it using current technology.

Excellent point. Nightmare Zero and Hell Sigma are way too easy as they show up in the game.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 15, 2018, 04:36:32 pm »
Thanks for your comments. Even if I'm not as active at the moment I really like to read your ideas

As for buffing attacks besides the Blade Armor, well, I wrote a custom function to add damage specifically to that armor (on top of the damage values defined by each enemy's damage table). It wouldn't be so hard to expand it to include other armors and moves, but I just don't think it's worth it. My goal was to tackle obvious inbalances (like Blade Armor being too weak), not so much making every single aspect of the game customizable.

But as for damage tables, I agree there are a couple more cases besides the two already covered that could use some tweaking.

There's N.Zero and Sigma, both would benefit from making the fight a bit longer by reducing their damage input. I'd add to that some of the main bosses, specifically C.Yammark and B.Heatnix, who even at Lvl.4 are complete cakewalks because they take so much damage even from default attacks. On the opposite end there's Infinity Mijinion, who takes forever to take down even when using his weakness.

Now that we're on the topic, here's how High Max works:
The tables are made of a byte with the dame value, and a byte that indicates if the attack deals damage (00), or bounces (FF). High Max has an all FFs damage table, except for a couple of attacks (chardged shots) that have an unique id, these are the attacks that turn him into his vulnerable state (blinking white), at which point, I think (havent really tested that much), he reads damage from a separate table.

If you add other attacks besides the charged shot to the unique ID that'll make him vulneable, they simply go through him with no effect. I think there's a separate operation deciding which of these attacks make him blink. There's additional values in the registers during this battle that are unique to High Max (something I discovered before when I accidentaly broke it with the Blade Armor buffs implementation)

If you replace his all FF00s table with a regular table taken from another boss, he'll take damage normally! Completely skipping his blinking/vulnerable phase

I decided against making changes to this (and Gate's) battles because I actually like the unique way they work. But it was fun to dig and see how they worked ;D

If anyone wants to dig into these, there's a magic breakpoint highlighted in the spreadsheet that'll lead you directly to any enemy's damage table.

A nice thing about damage table modifications I just found out about is that they can very easily be ported over to MMXLC2!  :P
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 03:05:06 pm by acediez »

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 15, 2018, 08:18:27 pm »
Oh for the love of god nerf Mijinion even if just a bit and I will love you forever.

Cupshadow

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 15, 2018, 09:53:43 pm »
Small Question : Does it work on Japanese Version of Mega Man X6?

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 19, 2018, 03:35:02 am »
Small Question : Does it work on Japanese Version of Mega Man X6?
Not currently, sorry.

steamdoomtest

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 23, 2018, 06:52:35 pm »
As a request, would it be possible for a future version of the patcher to include the option to load up your three preexisting presets, so that it is easier to made minor changes without starting from scratch?
Reason being, I love the choices presented in the "light" version, and the only change I would like to make is disabling Alia's dialogue.

Regardless, thank you so much for your work! It's incredible how relatively few changes makes this game astoundingly more entertaining.

Edit:
Not currently, sorry.
For what it's worth, I'd definitely be interested in a Japanese version as well - so long as it's an easy enough port - but there's no way I'd ask that of you if it means starting over from scratch.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 03:24:05 pm by steamdoomtest »

Cupshadow

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 23, 2018, 08:59:16 pm »
oh i see
because i usually play japanese version of that

Reason because the US version cut the original voice when X shoot a Charged shot
and sort of that

injoon84

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 27, 2018, 01:38:09 pm »
acediez,

I try to make a beatable High Max with any character without special weapon.
This is what I came up using your spreadsheet table.

1) High Max damageable with X ground Z-Saber
PSX ram:
800752A0
Original value:
FF 00
Edited value:
00 01

2) High Max damageable with X jump/wall Z-Saber
PSX ram:
800752A2
Original value:
FF 00
Edited value:
00 01

3) High Max damageable with Zero double jump spinning Z-Saber
PSX ram:
Original value:
FF 00
Edited value:
00 01

Note:
Zero has no problem beating High Max during optional stage and Gate2 stage.
However, X is having problem in optional stage as once High Max health run low, he will move to center. Thus, a separate table damage is needed. Do you have it?
Normal X is possible to beat High Max in the Gate2 stage given X is equipped with Jumper, Speedster, and Hyper Dash.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 29, 2018, 11:19:27 pm »
Found it, it's the very next table. Each table is 160 bytes so:

High Max (first state)
BIN: 1D994AC4
RAM: 8007523C

High Max (blinking/vulnerable state)
BIN: 1D994B64
RAM: 800752DC

And going by the value offsets you provide, it would be

1) High Max (blinking state) damageable with X ground Z-Saber
BIN:
1D994BC8
PSX ram:
Original value:
FF 00
Edited value:
00 01

2) High Max (blinking state) damageable with X jump/wall Z-Saber
BIN:
1D994BCA
PSX ram:
Original value:
FF 00
Edited value:
00 01

3) High Max (blinking state) damageable with Zero double jump spinning Z-Saber
BIN:
1D994B9E
PSX ram:
Original value:
FF 00
Edited value:
00 01

That should be enough for what you're trying to do  :thumbsup:
Easy enough to edit directly on the bin.
Cheers!

oh i see
because i usually play japanese version of that

Reason because the US version cut the original voice when X shoot a Charged shot
and sort of that

I'd like to restore the missing voice clips to the english version instead, but I'm not working on any of that yet.

As a request, would it be possible for a future version of the patcher to include the option to load up your three preexisting presets, so that it is easier to made minor changes without starting from scratch?

Thanks for you comments
If I find a quick and clean way to implement it I will, but I won't be working on the patcher itself for awhile.

injoon84

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 30, 2018, 01:34:29 pm »
Thanks a lot. With your info, I manage to separate out some of the gameshark:

#High Max damageable with X full charge buster
80075260 0100
#High Max damageable with Falcon full charge buster
80075262 0100
#High Max damageable with Ultimate full charge buster+plasma
80075264 0100
80075266 0100
#High Max damageable with Nova Strike
80075268 0100
#High Max damageable with Zero jumpx2 spinning Z-Saber
80075276 0100
#High Max damageable with Blade full charge buster
80075292 0100
#High Max damageable with Shadow Giga Attack
8007529A 0100
#High Max damageable with Falcon Giga Attack
8007529E 0100
#High Max damageable with X ground Z-Saber
800752A0 0100
#High Max damageable with X jump/wall Z-Saber
800752A2 0100
#High Max damageable with Blade charge+up buster saber
800752AC 0100
#High Max damageable with Blade Giga Attack
800752AE 0100

#High Max (blinking) damageable with X full charge buster
80075300 0100
#High Max (blinking) damageable with Falcon full charge buster
80075302 0100
#High Max (blinking) damageable with Ultimate full charge buster+plasma
80075304 0100
80075306 0100
#High Max (blinking) damageable with Nova Strike (original=0800)
80075308 0100
#High Max (blinking) damageable with Zero jumpx2 spinning Z-Saber (original=0300)
80075316 0100
#High Max (blinking) damageable with Blade full charge buster
80075332 0100
#High Max (blinking) damageable with Shadow Giga Attack (Not working?)
8007533A 0100
#High Max (blinking) damageable with Falcon Giga Attack
8007533E 0100
#High Max (blinking) damageable with X ground Z-Saber
80075340 0100
#High Max (blinking) damageable with X jump/wall Z-Saber
80075342 0100
#High Max (blinking) damageable with Blade charge+up buster saber
8007534C 0100
#High Max (blinking) damageable with Blade Giga Attack
8007534E 0100

Hopefully this will be helpful for those who wants to play around with High Max's damage value.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 30, 2018, 02:05:58 pm »
Great! I actually started filling a sheet to identify each attack's slot in the table, so this saves me some time.

Pemburu Vampir

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 03, 2018, 08:10:40 pm »
Hello  :)
Can you give me your default setting for your "light" profile hack in the Tweak Patcher? I want all your original changes on it but wanted to add more in the Tweak Patcher. Thanks

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 05, 2018, 11:37:48 pm »
Hello  :)
Can you give me your default setting for your "light" profile hack in the Tweak Patcher? I want all your original changes on it but wanted to add more in the Tweak Patcher. Thanks

The changes done to the published hacks are all listed in the hack's project page. If you want something more specific, here they are applied in the patcher:

Light version

Complete version

Values (both versions):
Dash Duration (Hyper Dash): 20
Air Dash Duration (Hyper Dash): 16
Mach Dash Duration: 20
Mach Dash Speed: 6
Hyoroga Jump Height: 192
X Saber Duration: 12
Shador Armor Saber Duration: 10

Anyway, I've been working on and off on a complete sheet of damage tables, and thanks to a few scripts I came up with, it's now pretty much complete. You can download it here

It's pretty dense. This is how it looks like:

Some takeaways
- This information could be used to write a more elegant way to boost/nerf attacks from the patcher without having to write external instructions. Would make supporting more attacks a lot easier too. (It's now a patcher difficulty, not a hacking one)
- As I've mentioned before, by copying a table and looking for it on an Hex editor, you should be able to find them in MMXLC2's EXE
- Of the unidentified slots, there's a few I greyed out since they're blank (FF00) in all cases (most likely unused), but there are a few yet (marked with an "?") that have actual values and I just haven't been able to identify what they are for.
- Most common stage enemies share a table. Most projectiles share a table too.
- Turns out the 8 main bosses' tables are pretty much identical, except for their weakness. But their lifebar sizes vary wildly (Commander Yammark starts from 20, and goes up to 30 depending on your rank. Other bosses start from 30 and go up to 40). I'm interested on make some fights last longer (Commander Yammark, Nightmare Zero) while nerfing others a bit (Infinity Mijinion on Level 4, for example), but I'm still figuring out how the life bar size increments per rank are assigned.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 09:01:49 am by acediez »

facauan

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 06, 2018, 12:36:06 pm »
That means that you are trying the incorrect version and "BAD" dumps of the game, redump versions are verified and clean.
You can see here the correct info for that particular version, so look for a good dump, also MD5 is a nice hash and very unlikely to collisions.
http://redump.org/disc/32516/
I went to the site you sent and downloaded the files MD5, cue, SHA1, SFV.
Now what do I do?

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 06, 2018, 02:44:29 pm »
That's just a reference. MD5 checksums are used to verify you're getting the right version of a game, it's not a distribution of the game itself.

If you're gonna rip your own version of the game, as long as you have the right version (it should be v1.1, unless you got the very first batch of the game), and it's a clean rip (there's plenty of guides for that), it should match.
If you’re gonna download it, that’s up to you. We can’t link or direct you to rom sites from here. All I can say use redump info to make sure you’re getting the right version (it should be named exactly “Mega Man X6 (USA) (v1.1)”. If it says it’s Redump, better yet.

As to why the patcher and the patches (xdelta patches in general) support one specific rip of the game, it should be obvious by seeing how many variations and bad dumps are being distributed on the web. Data locations can vary from version to version. This is the only way to make sure the modifications will be applied to the right place and the hack will work for users the same as it does for the person making the patch.