News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X6 Tweaks/Patcher (v06)  (Read 7427 times)

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X6 Tweaks/Patcher (v02)
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2018, 07:46:33 am »
Amazing, are you going to be able to exceed the previous part limit with this and be able to equip everything if you wanted?

injoon84

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2018, 08:55:35 am »
Huh, really? Ok. I'll describe it step by step.
As usual, I use emulator ePSXe 2.0.5.

What I activate with the Mega Man X6 Tweaks Patcher (v03a):
1. Disable status change for MISSING, MISSING, and DEAD.
2. Rank/Nightmare Souls Table
   C   150
   PA   2200
   UH   3000
3. Nightmare Soul Orb values
   Blue Orb (Small)   5
   Blue Orb (Big)      10
4. Disable gaining lives (Extra Life items)
   Since I know this is actually disable gaining lives from rescued reploids.
5. Can always Exit Stage (Normal stages)
6. Can always Exit Stage (Intro, Hidden, and Final stages)
7. Life Bar Upgrades
8. Souls and Rank

Then, I start playing the game by activating Ultimate armor code.
Skip the intro scene.
Pause and check my rank. Stated Rank D.
At the same time, change button configuration to my preference.
Beat intro stage and skip Isoc's speech scene.
Go to Amazon Area by choosing Ultimate armor.
Pause again and of course my rank still D.
Collect all items and save all 16 Reploids by compulsory dying once.
Beat Commander Yammark by collecting 255/260 souls. Alia will report you're now Hunter rank C.
Skip Gate and Isoc conversation scene.
Go to Amazon Area again.
Pause and check my rank. It's still D.

Also, you ask about the Nightmare effects whether it is needed to save injured reploids?
Yes, it does.

1) Northpole Area
The ice wall lead to hidden stage will only break if you previously visited Magma Area.

2) Magma Area
You can access the hidden stage with just Blade, and Zero.
If you equipped Jumper, and Speedster, Ultimate can also make it to the hidden area.
If you previously visited Recycle Lab, the iron moving block will appear in this stage.
Every character except Shadow with Metal Anchor/Rakukojin weapon can access to the hidden area.

3) Recycle Lab
If you equipped Jumper, and Hyper Dash, every character can make it to the hidden area.
If you previously visited Central Museum, the blue, red, and black cubes will appear.
I'm not sure whether the black cube may help you reach the hidden area without any equipment.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2018, 09:43:12 am »
Amazing, are you going to be able to exceed the previous part limit with this and be able to equip everything if you wanted?
For limited parts, you can't select more than one even if the main table is set above 1. For regular parts, you "can", but obviously the menu doesn't adapt to this, it gets a bit glitchy. I'm not even sure you actually get the effect of everything you select.
So, at least on the patcher, the options will be limited to the normal range of 1-4 for regular parts and 1 for limited parts. The idea is to be able to set more parts with lower ranks. But I'll update the spreadsheet with all the new stuff for anyone who wants to experiment more.

Huh, really? Ok. I'll describe it step by step.

Thanks. I'll test following those steps next time. I've only tried this option by editing the game directly so there's a chance your problem may come from an error on the patcher I posted earlier.

Also, you ask about the Nightmare effects whether it is needed to save injured reploids?
Yes, it does.

Thanks x2! I only vaguely remembered the Nightmare effects being used to reach or block certain areas.
So, only the Northpole Area one is completely unreachable without the aid of the Nightmare effects?
If I can isolate this one change in the stage (it's probably a separate check than the one that actually causes the effect), I'll try to make it so the path is always open as a workaround. For the others that can be accessed using certain parts or armor, I think I'll just leave them like that.

Zero Dozer

• The world is just my medicine ball, you're all in
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2018, 05:59:04 pm »
Did someone say DISABLE NIGHTMARE EFFECTS? (Though I didn't know some nightmare effects (Such as Blaze Heatnix's for Blizzard Wolfang) were necessary for upgrades. The Metal Shark Prayer visit demand and Ground Scravich visit demand can be avoided, however.

As the other guy said before, Blaze Heatnix's secret area can be accessed with the Blade Armor or a double jump.
For Metal Shark Prayer, only Hyper Dash is enough. I did that myself. By the skin of the teeth, but I did.

I sent the report directly to you before, but why not share it here. The game has been running perfectly smoothly so far. As for bugs, Alia's scene of explaining the Nightmare Virus is replaying every time X exits a stage after attaining UH.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 08:02:28 pm by Zero Dozer »

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2018, 09:02:27 pm »
Thanks for reporting back, and thanks for the confirmation on those areas! Sounds like the ice stage would be the only problematic one.

I haven't looked at the Alia scene issue yet, I've been busy with the new options, but it's something that I definitely want to get fixed. It would be weird to not be able to modify it reliably and have it stuck at the regular 3000 souls requirement.
I just need to figure out what's stopping it from playing more than once in the regular game, and why isn't it working after the souls trigger is changed.

June 27, 2018, 01:37:14 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Ok, the triggers of the Alia scene were actually quite simple

First: it checks if you have the final stages unlocked. If they are, the scene is skipped.
Then: it checks for number of souls requirement. If it's not met, the scene is skipped.
Else: the scene plays.

There's no actual flag for having seen the scene already, but since the original game set the souls requirement the same as the requirement to unlock the last stages, it's only shown once.

It's fixed now. I replaced the first requirement with a separate flag I managed to squeeze within the range of RAM saved in the save files  :woot!:
(It was mostly a hacking excercise at this point, probably not worth the trouble, but anyway, it's done)

I've also isolated the blocked walls from the ice stage. It'll be patched to be always open if the option to disable the fireball Nightmare effect is selected.
That's all in terms of fixes, for now. All that's left is to write the new options into the patcher and make them all work together and in any combination. I hope I can get it done by the end of the week.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 10:57:31 pm by acediez »

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2018, 10:13:31 pm »
This is coming along nicely, not really something that fits in an editor but the option to switch characters with the select button like in X7 and 8 would be pretty sweet

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2018, 06:57:15 am »
This is the patcher (and set of features) I'm gonna be settling in for now.

As always, if you do try it, please report back! (Anything that goes wrong, anything that goes right)

Edit: Links removed from this post! Latest version has been submitted to the site
Mega Man X6 Tweaks
Mega Man X6 Tweaks Patcher
Mega Man X6 Tweaks Spreadsheet

v04f/v05
- Fixed (hopefully) a problem with Life and Energy parts on the Shared Stats options that was affecting playthroughs on PSP
- Added input modification for Sentsuizan. Thanks to Z3R0X for this contribution!
- Additional notes added.

v04e
- (Fix) Slots of Speedster and Hyper Dash were swapped. Now all Parts should work perfectly.
- (New) Choosing to start with Zero available now allows you to fight Nightmare Zero as Zero (doesn't skip straight to High Max as it normally would)
- Additional notes added to the GUI.
v04d
- (Fix?) Using any of the New Game Status options would break the use of cheats to get Ultimate Armor or Black Zero (the value gets rewritten). It's changed so it's only affected if a "Characters Available" is selected (which effectively rewrites whatever is set by the cheat). Using other any other part of the patcher besider this one will keep the normal cheat codes functional now.
- (Fix) Also related to "Characters Available", fixed Falcon Armor not being disabled when unchecked.
- (Fix) Some individual Parts wrongly assigned.
- (Fix) Fixed a bug in the patcher where it wouldn't reset values correctly between different patch attempts. (Reloading the patcher for using different options is still recommended just in case)
- (New) Changed the way the "Exit Stage" option is presented
- Added some additional notes.
v04c
- (Fix) "Shared Nightmare Souls and Rank" was causing a freeze in the Mission Report screen (detected on PSP). It should work ok now, on PSP and everywhere.
v04b
- (New) Unblocked a wall in the Hidden stage for the ice stage (when the Fire Nightmare Effect is disabled)
- (New) "Disable Stage Select screen dialogues" now covers all three possible events (introduction, getting Zero, and reaching final stages)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 01:14:27 am by acediez »

Ghaleonh41

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2018, 06:21:07 pm »
Great job, Acediez! One thing, the game crashes during the Mission Report if you play on a PSP. Not sure if there's anything that can be done.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2018, 11:22:45 pm »
Great job, Acediez! One thing, the game crashes during the Mission Report if you play on a PSP. Not sure if there's anything that can be done.

Thanks for reporting
What options are you patching the game with?
Did you try on any other platform? (Emulator, PS1, PS2)

If it's a problem I can reproduce on Mednafen PSX or hardware (I'm currently testing on a PS2), I'll take it as a bug that needs to be fixed. If it only happens in PSP, I don't know how to look for the cause.

As reference, I'm on a playthrough using these settings. 6/8 stages done and no problems so far on my playthrough, but there's bound to be some bugs or oversights using different settings and different platforms...

Ghaleonh41

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2018, 10:43:25 am »
I'm not using nearly as many options, actually. XD

This was a problem from the first patcher you released. But the modified ISO that you originally shared worked fine. But thankfully, I haven't had any issues running the game on emulators. I did notice that the Ranks are stuck at D when you have X & Zero share Rank & Souls. That was an issue with the earlier patcher you linked.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2018, 12:45:51 pm »
I'm not using nearly as many options, actually. XD

This was a problem from the first patcher you released. But the modified ISO that you originally shared worked fine. But thankfully, I haven't had any issues running the game on emulators. I did notice that the Ranks are stuck at D when you have X & Zero share Rank & Souls. That was an issue with the earlier patcher you linked.

The one I just posted (v04b) has many fixes over the previous one (v03a)

So try patching a new BIN and continue your game from there  :)
I never encountered the problem of the rank getting stuck, or freezes on the Mission Report screen (which also possibly relates to the shared Rank option), but that modification was rewritten in the new version (because of a different problem I encountered), so it's possible your problem has already been fixed

Lumiere

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2018, 03:36:30 pm »
tried 4b, and removed nightmare effects, shared hp/weapons, shared rank and normal parts available from the start. When reaching mission results on my psp, the game hangs(not crashes). It also hangs at the mission results even when starting from an old save from a previous version. Will try without tied rank and/or nightmare effects.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2018, 04:18:09 pm »
Thanks for confirming the issue. If it happens every time, it most likely related to the shared Rank options. I think I spotted a potentially problematic line on that modification. I'm gonna take a look at it.

The only other modification affecting the mission report screen are the shared Life/Energy upgrades. If you're willing to test again without the shared Rank option, please see if getting a Life Up/Energy Up with shared Life and Energy upgrades works or not.

(I might as well dust off my PSP to test too. What are you guys using to convert the image?)

Lumiere

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2018, 07:21:00 pm »
I'm using psx2psp. I tried builds with nightmare effects only & shared rank only and it only hangs when I used shared rank. I've had no problems with getting a life up & weapon up with shared life/energy.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2018, 09:56:37 pm »
Ok, tried it in my PSP, and I got the same problem.

It was caused by a badly placed jump to the new code. I'm more surprised that it was working fine on PS2 and anywhere else. I moved things around and now it really works everywhere, PSP included.

Edit: Here it is (v04c)
Thanks Lumiere and Ghaleonh41 for reporting this, since it was seemingly working for me I wouldn't have found this by myself!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 01:29:03 am by acediez »

Lumiere

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2018, 02:40:40 am »
Would it be asking too much to be able to edit the built-in parts for various armors? As it is, shock buffer is useless if you're using any armor/black zero, the energy saver is pointless when using x's armors. While this is only two parts, editing armors would allow more diverse options per armor
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 02:52:28 am by Lumiere »

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2018, 06:47:38 am »
Would it be asking too much to be able to edit the built-in parts for various armors? As it is, shock buffer is useless if you're using any armor/black zero, the energy saver is pointless when using x's armors. While this is only two parts, editing armors would allow more diverse options per armor

Instead of editing the armors simply allowing the parts to stack would be nice, especially saber plus for Black Zero

injoon84

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2018, 07:12:07 am »
Whoa, seems like I missing some new stuffs. Watching World Cup too much.
Guess I will just skip tweak patcher v04a and v04b. Will try out v04c and feedback later.

Anyway, I'm kind of curious of 2 things.
1) Can you explain what do error_recalc does and how to apply this program?
   I still don't understand it after reading the notepad.
2) You said you're currently testing it on PS2.
   Does that mean you use POPStarter and change the bin and cue file to VCD format using the CUE2POPS?

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2018, 09:29:37 am »
Instead of editing the armors simply allowing the parts to stack would be nice, especially saber plus for Black Zero

I'm not gonna be researching new options for awhile, I'm more concerned on completely testing the current version to re-release it on the site, but I'll consider it for later on. I don't even know if those upgrades are even handled as "parts equipped" or some other way.

Watching World Cup too much.
Where are your from? Chile didn't get in :-[ so I haven't watched a single match 

1) Can you explain what do error_recalc does and how to apply this program?
   I still don't understand it after reading the notepad.
EDC/ECC sectors of the disc act as a checksum for the data on the whole disc. They're used to "repair" "invalid" sectors on the fly. So, if you don't update those sectors, some of the modified bytes will revert to the original state when loaded, breaking the modifications, causing freezes, or even preventing the game from booting at all.

ePSXe and no$psx ignore them, so if you're just gonna play there, you don't need to recalculate them. But consoles, and more accurate emulators use it. It's mandatory to play on hardware or even Mednafen PSX.

Either way, as long as you keep the error_recalc.exe file in the same path as the patcher, it should be applied automatically as part of the patching process ("Passing BIN through STARWIN's EDC/ECC recalculator")

2) You said you're currently testing it on PS2.
   Does that mean you use POPStarter and change the bin and cue file to VCD format using the CUE2POPS?
Nope. I have a modchip, so I just burn a disc and play natively.
I don't know much about POPstarter, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't count as "playing on console", as it's emulating, and not as accurate/compatible as you'd expect.

injoon84

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2018, 11:03:39 pm »
I'm from Asia.

This time, tested some of the Mega Man X6 Tweaks Patcher (v04c) using emulator ePSXe 2.0.5.
I only test whatever new and bugs that occured in v03a.

1) Nightmare Effects
Bugs (Commander Yammark)   = Disable Nightmare Effects on Blaze Heatnix's and Shield Sheldon's stages.
Ice (Blizzard Wolfang)      = Disable Nightmare Effects on Metal Shark Player's stage.
Fire (Blaze Heatnix)      = Disable Nightmare Effects on Blizzard Wolfang's (ice wall still break and enable secret area) and Infinity Mijinion's stages.
Iron (Metal Shark Player)   = Disable Nightmare Effects on Blaze Heatnix's, Ground Scaravich's and Infinity Mijinion's stages.
Cube (Ground Scaravich)      = Disable Nightmare Effects on Metal Shark Player's and Shield Sheldon's stages.
Rain (Rainy Turtloid)      = Disable Nightmare Effects on Commander Yammark's and Ground Scaravich's stages.
Mirror (Shield Sheldon)      = Disable Nightmare Effects on Blizzard Wolfang's and Rainy Turtloid's stages.
Dark (Infinity Mijinion)   = Disable Nightmare Effects on Commander Yammark's and Rainy Turtloid's stages.
I only tested it once each. Yeah, should be working fine.
However, I forgot to test if disable 1 Nightmare Effects may disable other Nightmare Effects.
Will try it again later if got time.

2) Characters Shared Stats
Both Life and Energy Upgrades, and Nightmare Souls and Rank are working perfectly now.

3) New Game Status
a) Parts and rescued reploids
   Only tested the normal parts. I don't have enough time. Will feed back again later.
   Speedster   = Reploids rescued (Tsuki from Central Museum) is correct but gets Hyper Dash.
   Jumper   = Reploids rescued (Dante from Northpole Area) is correct but gets Jumper and Hyper Dash.
   Speed Shot   = Reploids rescued (Tekk from Weapon Center) is correct but gets Buster Plus and Speed Shot.
   Shock Buffer   = Reploids rescued (Toshi from Recycle Lab) is correct but gets Buster Plus and Shock Buffer.
   D.Barrier   = Reploids rescued (Kenz from Laser Institute) is correct but gets Buster Plus and D.Barrier.
   D-Converter   = Reploids rescued (Paralla from Weapon Center) is correct but gets Buster Plus and D-Converter.
   However, if you tick all the normal parts, you get all the 10 normal parts plus the correct 10 Reploids rescued.

b) Characters Available
   By using this patcher, you'll permanently disable from getting Ultimate if you use the left, left, left, right code.
   You can only get to play the intro stage as Ultimate.
   Same goes to Zero (Black). Cannot be activated with L1, L1, L1, R2 code.
   However, you might still get Zero (Black) by beating Nightmare Zero lv4.
   Untick Falcon:
   You will still keep Falcon.
   Tick Blade/Shadow:
   After intro stage, Blade/Shadow will be available.
   A full armor parts is collected without affecting the game mode level.
   No more armor parts capsules for the specific characters.
   Tick Ultimate:
   The game still starts as Falcon but you'll be able to keep Ultimate after intro stage.
   Tick Zero/Zero (Black):
   After the intro stage, Zero/Zero (Black) will be available.
   However, you'll skip the optional boss fight 1 (Nightmare Zero) and move on straight to optional boss fight 2 (High Max).

c) Life Upgrades, Energy Upgrades, and Rank
   All are working fine as stated.
   However, if Characters Shared Stats was activated, and X and Zero was having different value, the patcher will always follows X's stats.
   eg.  Characters            X       Zero
          Life Upgrades       +12     +8
          Energy Upgrades   +0      +4
          Rank                     A       D
   Then, the outcome you'll get is:
          Characters            X       Zero
          Life Upgrades       +12     +12
          Energy Upgrades   +0      +0
          Rank                     A       A
   Also, the nightmare souls you have will be the value you set for Rank A.
   In this case, if you did not altered the Nightmare Souls and Ranks, Rank A = 500.