In a long time coming, v4.0 of Phantasy Star II Improvement has been released. The mod has been ported to lory1990's Phantasy Star II Disassembly, allowing me to implement not only more bug fixes, but more script changes. I had thought about majorly revamping the script as I did with Reparations, but instead I decided to fix the worst mistakes and make lore terms consistent. I have a lot of praise for PSII's script and general writing.
The philosophy behind the gameplay changes to this update was to rebalance underused characters, making them attractive choices next to Amy or Anna. Rolf and Rudo still reign supreme, of course.
- 2x EXP/MST version provided. (Choose one; do not apply both in tandem)
- Shir no longer steals from Dezo shops. Must still be LV 10 to steal item VISIPHONE.
- Implemented all bug fixes in lory1990's PSII disassembly, which includes corrected stats of weapon LAC DAGGER.
- Fast Walking patch applied again.
- Fast Battles patch applied; allies/enemies only flash once when damaged.
- Implemented unused enemy VANLEADR to Blue and Green Dams.
- Script tweaked all around to fix the most egregious mistakes.
- Lore terms conform to standards set by Phantasy Star I: Palma, Motavia, Dezoris, and Algol all return written in full, even on Gaila's radar graphic.
- Naturally, proper case text for menu selections, etc. return.
- Naming screen revamped; allows dash and period in addition to lowercase letters.
Equipment and Shops:
- Weapon BOW GUN removed; weapon Wave Shot (Equip: Hugh, Kain / 40 damage, one-handed) added.
- Weapon WHIP removed; weapon SilverClaw (Equip: Nei / +59 ATK, +7 DEF, one-handed) added.
- Footwear HIRZABOOTS removed; armor ElastcVest (Equip: Nei / +33 DEF) added. (Amy/Shir equip LONG BOOTS as opposed to Anna.)
- Weapon FIRE STAFF casts tech GIFOI when used as an item again.
- Rolf and Kain can still equip helmet LACONIAMET as opposed to Rudo and Hugh.
- Nei can equip the following:
* SNOW CROWN
* GR SLEEVES
* TRUTH SLVS
- Hugh was once again permitted to equip armor CRYSTCHEST and LACONCHEST.
- Tech FANBI absorbs 30 HP from an enemy.
- Amy learns tech GRA at LV 5 instead of FOI, and GIGRA at LV 31.
- Anna and Kain no longer learn tech FOI; Anna also no longer learns ZAN.
- Nei learns more techs:
LV 1 - RES
LV 8 - ANTI
LV 16 - SAK
LV 20 - NASAK
LV 24 - SHIFT
LV 27 - GIRES
LV 33 - SAR
LV 44 - GISAR
- Shir's tech acquisition overhauled:
LV 1 - FOI
LV 6 - RYUKA
LV 6 - HINAS
LV 8 - RES
LV 11 - ZAN
LV 15 - GIFOI
LV 18 - GRA
LV 22 - GIZAN
LV 25 - GIRES
LV 28 - GIGRA
LV 33 - NAZAN
LV 36 - NAGRA
It's available on RHDN and Steam. Note that if you've been leveling Shir, to learn her new techs, you will need to start a new game.
Edit - Oops, I made a boo-boo and Shir's original tech acquisition was left in. This has been fixed in v4.1. It should be live on Steam later tonight.