News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [Japanese Translators][Saturn] Sakura Wars  (Read 7356 times)

NoahSteam

• View Profile
    • Sakura Taisen Translation
Re: [Japanese Translators][Saturn] Sakura Wars
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2018, 08:22:14 am »
Interesting, thanks for the info!  Do you have any idea how the text in the main menu is being drawn?  It appears to be using some sort of run length encoding I think.  It loads part of the texture in one mart of memory, and the rest in another and then runs what appears to be an uncompression scheme.

paul_met

• View Profile
    • Meduza Team
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2018, 01:50:49 am »
Interesting, thanks for the info!  Do you have any idea how the text in the main menu is being drawn?  It appears to be using some sort of run length encoding I think.  It loads part of the texture in one mart of memory, and the rest in another and then runs what appears to be an uncompression scheme.
The characters in the main menu have already prepared coordinates in advance (Format: X,Y, width, height, char code). So in this case for VWF it is enough to change the X coordinate of each character manually. I do not know why the developers did this. It was simpler to combine all the characters of a string into a picture or to do the same as in dialogs.

Spoiler:

NoahSteam

• View Profile
    • Sakura Taisen Translation
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2018, 03:38:41 am »
Do you know how the pixel data itself is being generated though?  I can see the image for the letter C is loaded in VDP1 at 0x05c0a380 and when I track down where that’s coming from, I end up around 0x0020A210 (it’s an address close to that, I’m not at my computer right now but it’s around there).  The thing is, the texture data isn’t actually loaded in as it eventually appears in VDP1.  It is stored in some sort of compressed way and then uncompressed into memory at 0x060d0380 and then that is loaded into VDP1. 

The texture data for all of the dialog text is stored within the game files exactly how it is represented in VDP1.  The main menu for whatever reason isn’t.  It appears to be compressed, I just haven’t been able to figure out which compression algorithm it’s using.

In order to translate the main menu, I imagine I’m going to have to compress the translated character textures using the same technique so that the game can display them, but I have to know the compression scheme being used to do that.

paul_met

• View Profile
    • Meduza Team
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2018, 05:13:27 am »
Do you know how the pixel data itself is being generated though?  I can see the image for the letter C is loaded in VDP1 at 0x05c0a380 and when I track down where that’s coming from, I end up around 0x0020A210 (it’s an address close to that, I’m not at my computer right now but it’s around there).  The thing is, the texture data isn’t actually loaded in as it eventually appears in VDP1.  It is stored in some sort of compressed way and then uncompressed into memory at 0x060d0380 and then that is loaded into VDP1. 

The texture data for all of the dialog text is stored within the game files exactly how it is represented in VDP1.  The main menu for whatever reason isn’t.  It appears to be compressed, I just haven’t been able to figure out which compression algorithm it’s using.

In order to translate the main menu, I imagine I’m going to have to compress the translated character textures using the same technique so that the game can display them, but I have to know the compression scheme being used to do that.
Yes, the graphics of the main menu are packed. The unpacking procedure, apparently, begins with the instruction at address 0600A178 (reading bytes of packed data). For example, font data starts at address 213F25, and the frame with font on a black background starts at address 1480D.
To be more precise, the packed data is in the file LOGO.SH2 at the addresses FF25 and 1080D for the font and frame, respectively.

cj iwakura

• The Rhythm Rogue
    • View Profile
    • iwakura.productions
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2019, 12:25:36 am »

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past

Arjak

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2019, 03:39:21 pm »
You are a god and a saint among translators. Downloaded the patch and ordered a copy of the game off eBay.