News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: [Japanese Translators][Saturn] Sakura Wars  (Read 748 times)

NoahSteam

• View Profile
    • GitHub repository
[Japanese Translators][Saturn] Sakura Wars
« on: June 11, 2018, 10:48:18 pm »
Hey guys, so far this has been a one man project.  I've spent a good amount of time figuring out the file formats for this game and I've got things to a point where I can extract all the text and insert it back into the game.  I've written tools for this so once the text is all translated, this will be a done deal!  At least all of the story dialog anyways.  I haven't gotten to the battle text yet, but that will follow shortly.  This game has a lot of text, so ideally I'm looking for as many translators as possible to help out with this. 

All of the dialog is available to translate online at sakurawarstranslation.com.   You will need an account to actually get in, so if you're interested, email me at sakurataisentranslation@gmail.com and I'll create a translator's account for you.  Thank you!

Here are some screenshots.  The font is temporary and will most likely change.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 12:26:38 am by NoahSteam »

Lentfilms

• View Profile
Re: [Japanese Translators][Saturn] Sakura Wars
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 05:30:12 pm »
I cannot translate anything but as a fellow Sakura Wars fan I wish you luck with your project. Hope you are able to find the help you need.

Eien Ni Hen

• You entitled girlfriend!
    • View Profile
    • Desert Bus Translations
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 10:09:13 pm »
I'm interested in helping translate Sakura Wars. I sent you an email but it came back as undeliverable. Can you PM me?
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

NoahSteam

• View Profile
    • GitHub repository
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 11:25:00 am »
Awesome!  Check your inbox.  Thanks!

ichidoreichan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 08:29:49 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh: :crazy: :woot!: :woot!: :woot!:

About time someone step up to translate this amazing game!!!
Count with me too!! you got two translators

NoahSteam

• View Profile
    • GitHub repository
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 09:21:09 pm »
Excellent!  Check your pm for more info.  Thank you!

paul_met

• View Profile
    • Meduza Team
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 01:27:09 am »
The interval between the letters should be reduced. The letters are drawing by VDP1?

NoahSteam

• View Profile
    • GitHub repository
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 07:50:59 am »
The interval between the letters should be reduced. The letters are drawing by VDP1?

Yea they are drawn by vdp1.  The original code draws them as 16x16 tiled sprites.  I have modified it to be 8x12. Otherwise we couldn’t fit much English dialog.  I also tried 8x8 but at that point the text looked really bad.  I can try reducing the width maybe a pixel or two and see if it still looks ok.

June 14, 2018, 07:56:43 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Here are some images with a 6x12 font instead of the 8x12.  You lose some definition of the characters but it's not too bad and it allows for 12 more characters per line, so that's a big win.  Thanks for the suggestion!

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 07:56:44 pm by NoahSteam »

MatatabiMitsu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 11:40:37 am »
PM’d you. Hopefully there’s enough room for 3 translators?

Also would it be possible to set up a Discord for the project? It’d make coordination easier and with multiple translators it would be good to have a lot of communication.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 11:48:40 am by MatatabiMitsu »

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 12:14:40 pm »
If text is using sprites, you should consider the idea of going fully proportional instead of monospace. You lose no quality whatsoever (you actually gain quite an improvement) and you can fit even more text that way.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

NoahSteam

• View Profile
    • GitHub repository
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 02:53:33 pm »
PM’d you. Hopefully there’s enough room for 3 translators?

Also would it be possible to set up a Discord for the project? It’d make coordination easier and with multiple translators it would be good to have a lot of communication.

There's room for way more than 3 translators lol.  There are 56 files and probably some more to come, so it would be possible to have 56 translators working in parallel.  Anyways, check your pm for more info!

Also, I haven't used Discord before, but I am setting up a forum on the main website for this project.

June 21, 2018, 02:58:55 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
If text is using sprites, you should consider the idea of going fully proportional instead of monospace. You lose no quality whatsoever (you actually gain quite an improvement) and you can fit even more text that way.

If you mean the whole block of dialog is one sprite, then no that's not how it's being rendered.  Each character is rendered as a 16x16 sprite using a 4080x48 font sheet.  Each sprite is evenly spaced.  This is one hard coded number.  I have modified the game's code to render the sprites as 6x12 instead. 

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 03:14:04 pm by NoahSteam »

paul_met

• View Profile
    • Meduza Team
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 04:03:39 pm »
Each character is rendered as a 16x16 sprite using a 4080x48 font sheet.  Each sprite is evenly spaced.  This is one hard coded number.  I have modified the game's code to render the sprites as 6x12 instead. 
It does not matter what size use for sprite character. You can change the address of the character's sprite in the video memory of VDP1.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 04:07:08 pm »
Each character is rendered as a 16x16 sprite using a 4080x48 font sheet.
I mean specifically this scenario.

Each sprite is evenly spaced.  This is one hard coded number.  I have modified the game's code to render the sprites as 6x12 instead.
So you could add an extra step and increase the current text x position with a table of widths, instead of using a hardcoded value.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

NoahSteam

• View Profile
    • GitHub repository
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 04:15:52 pm »
I mean specifically this scenario.
So you could add an extra step and increase the current text x position with a table of widths, instead of using a hardcoded value.

Yea true, I hadn’t considered doing this because of the added complexity of figuring out how to modify the binary code to add a lookup.  I do plan to come back to the font part of this project so I’ll look at trying to do this at that point.  For now I’ve been spending time working on the website adding in features for the translators and also figuring out some of the compression schemes that are used in the game to compress text at certain points in the game.

paul_met

• View Profile
    • Meduza Team
« Reply #14 on: Today at 08:55:54 am »
Here some useful codes for text of dialogues (HWRAM):
Code: [Select]
06014732 Y step (text animation by characters)
06014746 X step (text animation by characters)
060144D6 Y step (all displated text)
060144E4 X step (all displated text)
Replace the second byte of value 7110 to your own step.

For example (step 24x24):
Spoiler:
« Last Edit: Today at 09:03:10 am by paul_met »

NoahSteam

• View Profile
    • GitHub repository
« Reply #15 on: Today at 09:41:56 am »
Yup, those are the bytes I have already modified to make my 6x12 font work.  My font sheet is still actually 16x16, I just make the game only draw the first 6x12 pixels and have modified the bytes you pointed to to change the spacing to be 6 for x and 12 for y.  The tricky part is changing these hard coded values into a lookup table instead.  A lookup table based ln the character being rendered.  I’d you know how to do that, that’d be great to know!

paul_met

• View Profile
    • Meduza Team
« Reply #16 on: Today at 10:11:21 am »
Are you sure, that you really need VWF support for this game? Text of dialogues are scrolling in static window and it seems that there are no limitations of replies count. So, it is not necessary to make a table of characters width to fit english text I think.

NoahSteam

• View Profile
    • GitHub repository
« Reply #17 on: Today at 12:00:05 pm »
You're exactly right.  This game certainly doesn't need a VWF, but I guess it would be nice to have?  Having a VWF was something that Gemini suggested earlier, but as you realize as well, it wouldn't be trivial to do so.  The game currently has one function that takes in a few parameters, three of which are the x,y spacing and then the address of the string being rendered.  I would have to modify that function so that instead of just using the passed in x,y spacing, it would iterate through each character, get the width for it from a look up table and use that instead.  I'd also have to create the lookup table and load it into memory of course.  I might come around to it at a later date if I feel adventurous, but for now I think the fixed width font works perfectly fine.