News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: New Translations Added to the Database  (Read 1271 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: New Translations Added to the Database
« on: June 04, 2018, 08:44:34 pm »

Update By: RHDNBot

This is an automated message generated by ROMhacking.net's RHDNBot.

The following Translations have been submitted and approved to the database (in submitted order oldest to newest):

English
Spanish

Relevant Link

sjdswanlund

• View Profile
Re: Translations: New Translations Added to the Database
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 04:10:24 am »
Many of the files in the Shuujin e no Peru-emu-Furu zip are flagged and removed by Norton.  Probably should consider removing the zip until the safety of the download can be verified.

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 08:19:44 am »
Norton Antivirus has a pretty high false-positive rate for executables, so the files in question aren't necessarily infected. It might make sense to scan the files in question using something like virustotal.

But now that I look at it, what's more troubling is that the archive seems to include the full game rather than a patch. This would make the submission non-compliant with RHDN guidelines.

Ajogamer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 12:14:55 am »
QA Tester of the Memories of Fear team here (the team that worked on Peret Em Heru: For the Prisoners/Shuujin e no Peru-emu-Furu). I wanted to do my best to address the concerns raised in thist topic.

The upload does indeed contain the full game. The reason we distributed it like that is because it's a freeware game made in one of the PC-98 versions of RPG Maker (the "Dante 98 II" version, to be specific). Likewise, the way we inserted the text into the game was through our editor manually editing it all through that particular RPG Maker engine. Due to that, it makes separating the translation from the game files more difficult. Likewise, even if separating the two happens to be possible, it'd likely be more trouble than it's worth, being a freeware game that's very small in filesize.

One other thing we bundled it with was a Pre-configured Neko Project II emulator, so the game can simply be unzipped and immediately played, something our target audience expects, due to our group only working on freeware games, most of which are made in some version of RPG Maker (which are simply "unzip and play" by default). This is also the reason the download includes an exe file, and more than likely why there's a false positive with Norton Anti-virus (as already noted, Norton is notorious for falsely flagging any exe files it doesn't recognize, especially when newly uploaded and without many downloads). It would definitely be possible to bundle the game files without the emulator if need be, however.

One other thing I should note is that the person who uploaded it wasn't one of us at Memories of Fear, and up until now, it was only available to download on our website (at this page here, if anyone's curious).

That said, we're all aware it uploaded here, and have no problem with it (in fact, we're happy to see someone had enough interest to submit and upload it here). This is another reason why the game was distributed in way it was, however; we never had this website's guidelines in mind when creating the translation or zipping up the initial upload on our site. Personally, I'm not very familiar with Romhacking.net's guidelines myself (while I happen to check this site often, I've never submitted anything), so I'm unsure if it's currently compliant with the site rules or not, being a freeware game. Just now, I did take a look at the guidelines laid out when choosing to submit a translation file, though I don't see any mention about the inclusion of game files or freeware games (I imagine since it's a given not to include game files in the translation patch of a commercial game).

Even if we weren't the ones to originally upload it, as someone associated with the translation project, I still want to make sure this is properly sorted out, so I wanted to at least lay all this information out, that way those more informed can better determine if the current submission falls within the site's guidelines, or not. Likewise, if there's anything I can easily do to make it compliant, please let me know.

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 11:28:33 am »
Admittedly, I didn't know this was a freeware title when writing my post. There isn't exactly a wealth of information on this game. Regardless, since it's a free game, this does make the submission much less legally dubious, I guess. The usual regulations about not uploading roms/iso were made with commercial titles in mind. Someone from RHDN staff should probably take a look at this, regardless.