News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda Parallel Worlds  (Read 107182 times)

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
Re: Zelda Parallel Worlds
« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2007, 11:26:09 pm »
Has anyone else noticed this major glitch in Saria's Gardens?...

I've been mapping out each dungeon on paper, which allows me to predict where I will wind up when a tangent snakes around back to the main halls, etc. Upon landing in Blind's boss room at the end of Saria's Gardens, I noticed an open door at the bottom of the room...

Consulting my hand-drawn map, this door would lead to the upper-rightmost room on the main floor. Except there was no corresponding doorway in the top part of *that* room, just a solid wall. I was quite certain I didn't just miss the doorway, as one must walk directly in front of said wall in order to activate the switch that opens the left-wall shutter.

After dispatching Blind, I saved my state and exited the Boss Room via the mystery door. Then the game crashed, violently. I reloaded, walked around a bit, and tried the door again. This time the emulator itself shut down...

Fortunately, this glitch can probably be easily fixed by removing the doorway in Blind's room altogether. I just thought I should mention it...

Nellus

« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2007, 12:06:01 am »
Fun game, but a tad lost...

Finish'd Din's with no problem got about 8 full hearts and only one bottle... Where's the second one?

Also, whats the directions to take in order to pass through Misty Woods. Or just say where the hint is in the game. :p

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2007, 12:25:35 am »
The second bottle is obtained from a sleeping Homer Simpson in the area just beyond the Misty Forest.

As for the directions *through* the Misty Forest, the game is a bit sketchy on it. The only guy who will even come close to revealing it lives near Link's house in the Dark World, and there's only a 25% chance of it happening. And THEN, you still have to take one further step to translate what he tells you...

On a totally (ahem) unrelated note, I just had a dream about a pirate setting off a firecracker. He got really upset when it didn't go off, yelling, "AHRRRRRRR, DUD!!!" at the top of his lungs...

Euclid

• View Profile
    • Parallel Worlds
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2007, 12:54:43 am »
I never paid attention to that door in blind's, so that's partly my fault there for not finding that bug.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2007, 09:25:08 am »
Well, I finally got around to playing this. I must say I was a bit disappointed. I wasn't disappointed by the hacking work. That was great. It's the game design I didn't love. It tries too hard to be hard. The very first dungeon the Gaurd House was filled with too much back and forth. If you DON'T use the walk through, it takes too much time to do in one sitting(for me) to explore everywhere and figure out you need to go back and forth a million times. Beyond that, I get the impression that every spot in the game attempts to be maze like to some extent. I'd rather see a more balanced game.

It just lost a lot of it's fun appeal because of it. It did keep me playing though awhile longer just to see what was next and what was different. I guess it's not really my cup of tea. I was hoping more for a spiritual successor to A Link to the Pas in terms of level of fun and difficulty. It didn't seem to capture that with the game design.

With that said, Euclid, you did do some fine work in the hacking department. I am a stickler for small details and you seemed to be very thorough with lots of subtal detail such as the characters red face when pulling. The tile artwork was good. Different enough to be unique, yet not such a far departure it no longer fit. A nice middle ground there. I did like the overworld design, at least what I saw of it.

So there's my two cents. A fine technical hack, but the game design wasn't my cup of tea.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

bug

« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2007, 02:01:23 pm »
So this game was created with Hyrule Magic right?

hippiejake

• View Profile
    • Finally got my shit together!
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2007, 06:42:18 pm »
Yep. I wonder how long it's been since there was a new version... :P
Someone should work on it some more.

Ketrel

« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2007, 08:48:07 pm »
Hi, I have recently started playing the hack Zelda: Parallel Worlds and I am stuck, I was wondering if anyone here could help me.

I just go the running boots and I went up to Sky Isle, but I  am now unable to progress as each of the entrances is blocked with a stone I cannot break or lift.  Can anyone tell me what I'm supposed to do?  Thanks in advance.

Note: I have the one from Naru and Din.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2007, 08:57:29 pm »
Well, I finally got around to playing this. I must say I was a bit disappointed. I wasn't disappointed by the hacking work. That was great. It's the game design I didn't love. It tries too hard to be hard. The very first dungeon the Gaurd House was filled with too much back and forth. If you DON'T use the walk through, it takes too much time to do in one sitting(for me) to explore everywhere and figure out you need to go back and forth a million times. Beyond that, I get the impression that every spot in the game attempts to be maze like to some extent. I'd rather see a more balanced game.

It just lost a lot of it's fun appeal because of it. It did keep me playing though awhile longer just to see what was next and what was different. I guess it's not really my cup of tea. I was hoping more for a spiritual successor to A Link to the Pas in terms of level of fun and difficulty. It didn't seem to capture that with the game design.

With that said, Euclid, you did do some fine work in the hacking department. I am a stickler for small details and you seemed to be very thorough with lots of subtal detail such as the characters red face when pulling. The tile artwork was good. Different enough to be unique, yet not such a far departure it no longer fit. A nice middle ground there. I did like the overworld design, at least what I saw of it.

So there's my two cents. A fine technical hack, but the game design wasn't my cup of tea.

I'm still lost trying to look for the guard house! O.O **then again, classes just started... >_>**
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Ketrel

« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2007, 09:50:06 pm »
Was I supposed to get the power bracelet at this point?  Or am I supposed to go somewhere else?

Ketrel

« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2007, 10:44:07 pm »
I found what I was missing, I didn't know Din's thing had an item.

hippiejake

• View Profile
    • Finally got my shit together!
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2007, 07:17:49 pm »
Find the power bracelet in Din's Catacombs.
Spoiler:
At one point, there is a dark room that snakes around to another door. There is another path that leads to some cracked walls. Most of them are fake, but one isn't. That opens up a whole new area. Then, in that area, there is a left-hand wall[where the wall-shooters are] with those cracks. Again, find the weak spot and blow it up. It's very straightforward from there.
Basically, there's two hidden walls you need to blow up.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2007, 07:52:27 pm »
Awesome! Our first real use of the spoiler tag!  ;D
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2007, 08:30:31 pm »
Sexy spoiler tag thing. :D Might make interesting joke posts... lol. (Not saying that's its to be used like that...)
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2007, 02:37:21 pm »
I've been playing for a bit.  Overall I'd say I like the hack very much.  It's enjoyable and fun to play.  The difficulty is right up my alley -- I actually have to make a point to avoid getting hurt unlike the original Z3 where your life pretty much lasted forever.

That said there are some minor annoyances and a few bugs I thought I'd bring up (most of which have already been brought up in this thread somewhere, but I'm not going to read all 7 pages of it just to find them  ;P)

- Dungeon Maps need to be put back in somehow.  This is a serious issue -- if not THE biggest problem with the hack.  I'm to Rauru's place and the dozens of split paths and teleporters make this place virtually impossible to navigate by memory alone.  Having a map feature just so you can see what rooms you've been to already alone would be a big help.

- When you're in a fight with a boss -- the door really should close behind you.  The eyeball thing in Rauru's and the 6 stomping guys in the first castle you go to in the first world come to mind at first... but I think there were others too.  I find myself often being "sucked into" the open doors and going in them when I don't want to and having to re-enter the room.  For the stompy guys this meant I would sometimes blindly walk into a guy when re-entering the room (as he would be standing right next to/on the door)... and for the eyeball thing in Rauru's it means I have to start the boss over.  I can't tell you how frustrating that is.

- Bomb/arrow counts should be visible on the main screen.  I do really like how the new main screen layout looks and feels -- but if it comes down to asthetics vs. functionality -- I'd rather have functionality any day of the week.

- There seems to be many issues with jumping off of cliffs.  In town, I jumped off a cliff and landed on top of a townsperson (the kind that talk to you when you get close), so I got stuck in an endless talk loop and couldn't move.  Another time in the quarry, I jumped off a ledge and landed smack in the middle of a wall.  Both times I had to save/reset.  A lot of other times I end up landing WAY far away from where I was expecting to land.  But I do realize that things like this are really hard to nail down and get really tedious -- so I wouldn't sweat this too much.  Just bringing it up.

That's about all I can think of right now.  Great work -- I'm having a lot of fun with the hack despite these issues/complaints.
*thumbs up*

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2007, 09:17:10 pm »
ever thought about asking the guy over at acmlm who made this sprite

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/9094/screenshot4da0.jpg

if you can use his stuff or are you not interested in this style?
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2007, 12:07:17 am »
anyone here finished the first quest of this? the second quest? I've been sidetracked with other endeavors but am back to plodding away, fantastic stuff.

*update*

so 1.1 is almost out, check their website at

http://zeldaparallelworlds.googlepages.com/

hopefully they will get that out, and be able to fix other bugs in months to come. This is a great hack
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

SpiffSpoo

• Wark!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2007, 05:50:43 pm »
I beat the first quest, the second was too much the same at the start so I didn't get far there.  Still haven't found out what the use of the water dam thing is in the first quest, as a matter of fact I couldn't find out how open it, if you even can.  :-\
Wark!

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 27, 2007, 07:51:35 pm »
shouldn't this be in the Personal Projects forum now :)

pikahax

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 29, 2007, 12:05:52 am »
After I got defeated by a badguy and I press Continue, it takes me right to the beginning of the game.
And there is one empty slot after getting all of the items, it should be a slot for the shovel, instead of replacing the shovel with the ocarina.