News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda Parallel Worlds  (Read 106934 times)

hippiejake

• View Profile
    • Finally got my shit together!
Re: Zelda Parallel Worlds
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2007, 12:23:44 am »
And New music -> one dungeon in the dark world...

I heard that, but couldn't finish the dungeon yet. That music was a great idea. Hell, the whole level had the "feel," with the one-screen rooms and all. The music seemed a little slow, though.

I'm stuck in the same place this guy at acmlm is. I know it's not a glitch, but damn, what is it? The right edge of the pit seems to be "real," but I still can't reach the pot, and the left edge has a high tendency to glitch and leave me stuck in something.

Here is a spoiling screenshot, in case you're not sure where it is.

Euclid

• View Profile
    • Parallel Worlds
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2007, 12:37:01 am »
if you don't have the fire rod i suggest going to saria's gardens to get it first.

Unless you kill Kholdstare in the room to the right, that area will appear as solid and can't be walked through.

hippiejake

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2007, 12:43:37 am »
Ah, thanks, I doubt I would have gotten that by myself.

People at acmlm are bashing the hell out of this. They don't seem to appreciate that it's a full Zelda 3 hack. That in itself is great.

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2007, 01:11:24 am »
ingrates, this is MARVELOUS!!
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

hippiejake

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2007, 01:29:24 am »
Whew... I'm getting quite pissed at these big grey blocks that are impossible to lift without getting hit. You know, the ones with the shooters next to them. That is really starting to become tedious and piss-off-ing. Unless you can luck manipulate[which is definitely cheating under these circumstances] there is NO reliable way to pass them without getting hit.

Found the Fire Rod, though. :P

Euclid

• View Profile
    • Parallel Worlds
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2007, 01:32:40 am »
Whew... I'm getting quite pissed at these big grey blocks that are impossible to lift without getting hit. You know, the ones with the shooters next to them. That is really starting to become tedious and piss-off-ing. Unless you can luck manipulate[which is definitely cheating under these circumstances] there is NO reliable way to pass them without getting hit.

Found the Fire Rod, though. :P
That's why I always go for the magic cape in another dungeon before even touching that dungeon :)

SpiffSpoo

• Wark!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2007, 02:46:30 am »
The boss "guarding" the third jewel is quite buggy.  If he goes out of the screen he stick out of the other side, and you can nullify his blasts by making them go out of the screen.  Just putting that out there.

EDIT:
You can also let the smiths temper your sword more than once and nothing will happen, at least with the default sword.  Maybe it should cost more too.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 02:54:53 am by SpiffSpoo »
Wark!

nailbiter

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2007, 01:37:47 pm »
Is the boomerang an important item to get?
Because I managed to pass a switch under the guard house without, and I forgot about even using bombs.
I used a spin attack and hit the switch from a small distance, so I was able to circumvent the blue/red floor pegs in one place without using a bomb or boomerang.

I didn't even realize there was a boomerang down there until I read the readme.

SpiffSpoo

• Wark!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2007, 02:21:18 pm »
I hate Impa's Way, even though I am not suppose to be there.  I beat the Boss and I can't even find the Big Key Chest.  In fact, I don't even remember how to get to the Boss room  :-[

EDIT:
I found it!! But I don't remember the path I took  :P.  All I remember is that the very first part of the path is the same as getting to the Boss, I think.  That place is too confusing.  Now to the Lake Ruins!

I have one key left for the Lake Ruins, can't seem to find the last door.  I doubt it is important considering I got the item and beat the boss.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 04:32:31 pm by SpiffSpoo »
Wark!

hippiejake

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2007, 07:16:09 pm »
That's why I always go for the magic cape in another dungeon before even touching that dungeon :)

if you don't have the fire rod i suggest going to saria's gardens to get it first.

Unless you kill Kholdstare in the room to the right, that area will appear as solid and can't be walked through.

Another thing about that dungeon is that there's more than 1 entrance to it

Nobody else has any clue to do any of these things. I took the dungeons in the order suggested, and it leads to a dead-end. So I had to come and ask a question, and it appears that the dungeons are out of order from that said by the message in my warped house.
Furthermore, I didn't get a bottle or net before I entered the other world, and it appears that I need another item to go back to the normal world.

I can't beat the boss= Go get the item from another dungeon.
I can barely get to the item because of all of these impossible blocks= Go get the item of yet another dungeon.
I'd just like to progress without going to another dungeon= I can't even catch a fairy to keep me alive, unless I buy a potion.
Get the fire rod and go back to Kholdstare= Not enough magic to kill him unless you care to dodge things for 15 minutes or pack a potion.

All this would be OK, if this were something like Zelda Outlands where it was announced that backtracking and skipping dungeons was necessary, but this has an announced, specified order that is thrown all to hell after the first four dungeons.

I am grateful of the numerous upgrades available upon entering the other world...

A... neat request... would be to list the number of bombs and arrows on the start menu along with their icons. And this would be more of a "feature" than anything, but if there would also be a number indicating the remaining uses of the magic weapons, that would kick ass.

These worlds don't have names. I'm referring to them as "normal world" and "other world."

I'm NOT flaming. I understand and appreciate the effort put into a full hack. That was one of the things I said from the beginning. I'm trying to give constructive criticism, so please don't take it the wrong way.

The blocks I described earlier aren't a good idea, unless you are intentionally trying to block the player unless they have the cape. In one room of Saria's Gardens there were three of these. That is crossing the line from interesting to tedious.

Having more than 3 Beamos statues in a single room is another bad idea. In the original, there was never more than 2 in a single room. On top of that, you usually accompany the statues with other enemies and/or one block passages. If a statue fires straight down one of these passages, you cannot avoid it unless you use the hookshot invincibility, as even the dash invincibility is too slow unless you're looking for it. My point is very well illustrated in the first rooms of Saria's Gardens and Faore's level.

Again, I'm not just bitching about things; I'm trying to help. This clearly did take three years, and like any decent hack, has some problems that need to be fixed. A more thorough beta test by a wider spectrum of people would've done a lot for this. Either the readme or signs throughout the game should point out some of the things I mentioned, assuming they are kept.

I'll still gladly play through the rest of this, and [if you would like,] point out any problems that arise. :)

And I assume that the "talking to the chicken" mentioned in Saria's Gardens is talking about the X button? Found that on accident in the library. ;D

Killa B

• Fallen Angel
    • View Profile
    • Killa B
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2007, 07:55:48 pm »
I haven't actually played it yet, but just judging from the screens YOU ARE FUCKING GOD!!!!!!! I will play it now :D
I always dreamed of doing a Pokemon hack

SpiffSpoo

• Wark!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2007, 08:12:22 pm »
I got 1 bottle and the net in the normal world before going to the parallel world.  I think someone said before they had 2 bottles at the first level.

I did Impa's Ways first because it was the first dungeon on the way to the rest of the parallel world, and the item from there makes one of mini-bosses from the first parallel one dungeon easier.  I am on to the second parallel dungeon, now, well maybe some exploring first!

PS
When can I go back to the normal world?

EDIT:
The level 3 sword doesn't seem to be that much more powerful, and it looks like it has the same on screen graphics as the level 2 sword.  In the item screen it is different though.

I am stuck on Ruto's Fortress.  I got both Big keys and I don't know how to light up all the fireplaces fast enough, even with the fire rod it would seem ridiculously hard.  I then tried to go through the Lost Woods and the path the game tells you to go by doesn't work.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 10:33:15 pm by SpiffSpoo »
Wark!

hippiejake

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2007, 01:43:41 am »
You did go
spoiler: Right Down Up Down
, right?

By the way, we really need a [spoiler/] tag. I don't know how you'd go about doing it, but on the default stylesheet even numbered posts are #f8f8f8 while odd posts are #cef or #cceeff.
Just a thought. ;)

#f8f8f8
#cceeff

Seamless as long as you use the default theme, as does over 1/3 of the active community.

Euclid

• View Profile
    • Parallel Worlds
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2007, 05:47:21 am »
yes I admit the dungeons are a bit out of order, it's a bit unintentional though, as I have forgotten Kholdstare is in Ruto's before putting the fire rod inside Saria's (yes the chests was not included with the dungeon when I build them, they were added later, I do not want a dungeon which fully depend on what you get in the big chest), though by putting the blue mail into Saria's you may get the red one before the blue... from somewhere else.

I would say the easiest order to go to the dungeons is something like:

Impa/Darunia/Rauru -> Nabooru -> Sheik -> Saria -> Ruto

I agree about the number of bombs and arrows in the menu, i'll put a reminder for it. I mainly use "real world" and "parallel world" for the 2 worlds, but yeah I did not put their names anywhere.

I thought the fact of having shooters and big blocks is telling you that the cape is required in the dungeon, guess that message isn't clear enough.

Thanks for the comments, perhaps one day when a later version is released I'll get everything "right".

A note on keys, you might find a few extras lying around, it's usually because there may be times where if you open the wrong door you'll be 1 key short...

Suzaku

• Job change!
    • View Profile
    • Studio Llama
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2007, 09:40:17 am »
By the way, we really need a [spoiler/] tag. I don't know how you'd go about doing it, but on the default stylesheet even numbered posts are #f8f8f8 while odd posts are #cef or #cceeff.
Just a thought. ;)

What about a tag that functions like the Code tag (puts text in a box), with the text color and background color of the box set to the same color? That way it wouldn't matter what theme someone was using.

hippiejake

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2007, 03:01:40 pm »
I would say the easiest order to go to the dungeons is something like:

Impa/Darunia/Rauru -> Nabooru -> Sheik -> Saria -> Ruto

Cool, I'll try that. I was trying to do the "last" dungeon second. :P

I thought the fact of having shooters and big blocks is telling you that the cape is required in the dungeon, guess that message isn't clear enough.

Thanks for the comments, perhaps one day when a later version is released I'll get everything "right".

Nah, I don't know about others, but that didn't say much. It was just frustrating constantly being hit.
And it's not that you're "wrong," this hack is just...amazing. There's just a few things that make me trip up, and I've played the original many times over. I couldn't come anywhere near this.

Just a thought. ;)

What about a tag that functions like the Code tag (puts text in a box), with the text color and background color of the box set to the same color? That way it wouldn't matter what theme someone was using.

YES! I think it would be:

$code_to_from = array(
    // ...
    // ...
    '~\[spoiler\](.+?)\[/spoiler\]~i' => 'Spoiler:<br/><div style="background-color:#cef; color:#cef; border: 1px solid #000;">' . trim($1) . '</div>',
    // ...
    // ...
);

or something. I copy-modded that from one of D's old posts. I don't know a damn thing about regExp, so that should be checked. Maybe add a class="spoiler" attribute to it and define the class in the main CSS file[which could then be different for each theme].
I don't know how the backend here works, so I'm just throwing things out. :P
This should be taken to another thread, since it's getting too long for "casual" discussion...

Nellus

« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2007, 05:04:16 pm »
I must say, very nice hack. It got me to get off Twilight for a few days.  :o

But I am stuck.... can't find the slippers...  :laugh:

SpiffSpoo

• Wark!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2007, 08:00:03 pm »
I got the Fire Rod, I just don't know how to get to the lower level.  I looked everywhere, so I am just going back to finish Ruto's place now.

EDIT:
I beat Ruto without any potions  :P

I got all the main items in Nabooru's Hole, but I can't seem to get into the room/s that are past the upper left gate on the lava level.  I think I took all the holes possible and it seems there are holes you just can't get too. I doubt there is anything in there but I still want to know!  I haven't beaten the boss though.

Now on to find the Magic Cape!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 01:25:04 am by SpiffSpoo »
Wark!

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
    • Stuff Jigglysaint has done(like discover the Crocomire in MZM)
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2007, 01:25:46 am »
What do the tablets do, and what's this I hear about the X button?  I have both in my posession and can't seem to do anything.

hippiejake

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2007, 01:31:49 am »
The tablets... I don't know. As for the X button, PM me if you really need to know. It's too good to spoil to everyone. Although it's only useful in a few situations, it's pretty cool nonetheless.