News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Help With NES Snake's Revenge text  (Read 508 times)

Solid Pawn

• View Profile
Help With NES Snake's Revenge text
« on: May 25, 2018, 12:20:04 am »
Hello,

I'm very new to modifying NES games, but I decided to take a crack at changing certain aspects of the Metal Gear black sheep, Snake's Revenge.
Using the FCEUX emulator, Tblater, Tile Layer Pro, and some online tutorials, I've been able to make some decent progress fixing up some of the game's graphical and grammatical issues, but I appear to have hit a wall I can't seem to get around.

Using the PPU viewer in FCEUX, I've been able to make tables to edit the in game text in the Hex editor. Things like the intro text and some interface labels have been easy enough to find in the ROM with the right tables, however I cannot seem to figure out how to edit the in game dialogue between characters you meet, the cutscenes, or the radio transmissions. I've tried almost every table I could come up with or see in the data with Tile Layer Pro and the PPU Viewer, but it seems like the text is hidden even after using what should be the correct table. Using the Name Table Viewer hasn't been much help in finding the key either.

If anyone has some advice or could manage to edit the dialogue themselves, I'd appreciate the help in figuring out the problem.

wave

• View Profile
Re: Help With NES Snake's Revenge text
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 03:07:58 am »
Hello, today I'm releasing a translation to spanish for Snake's Revenge so I'll tell you how it stores it's text.
The characters are stored in 6 bits instead of 8, so it "packs" 4 chars in 3 bytes.
I've added a special extraction/insertion mode for my tool to manage them.
The tool is here:
https://github.com/sewave/hextractor/releases/latest
Maybe other tools can handle this type of encoding.
To extract the text (bat file):
Code: [Select]
@echo off
set T_FILENAME="Snake's Revenge (U) [!].nes"
set SCRIPTNAME="snakerevenge"
java -jar Hextractor.jar -a34 %SCRIPTNAME%Alt3.tbl %T_FILENAME% %SCRIPTNAME%Alt3.ext %SCRIPTNAME%Alt3.off
java -jar Hextractor.jar -a34 %SCRIPTNAME%Alt4.tbl %T_FILENAME% %SCRIPTNAME%Alt4.ext %SCRIPTNAME%Alt4.off
pause
To insert the text (using ext files starting with tr_):
Code: [Select]
@echo off
set T_FILENAME="TR_Snake's Revenge (U) [!].nes"
set S_FILENAME="Snake's Revenge (U) [!].nes"
set SCRIPTNAME="snakerevenge"
del %T_FILENAME%
copy %S_FILENAME% %T_FILENAME%
java -jar Hextractor.jar -h43 %SCRIPTNAME%Alt3.tbl tr_%SCRIPTNAME%Alt3.ext %T_FILENAME%
java -jar Hextractor.jar -h43 %SCRIPTNAME%Alt4.tbl tr_%SCRIPTNAME%Alt4.ext %T_FILENAME%
pause
Here are the tbl and offset files:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=65437267459107823751
You'll have to change a little bit the tables for the characters that I've modified.

Solid Pawn

• View Profile
Re: Help With NES Snake's Revenge text
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 01:21:09 am »
Thanks for the help. I'll give it a shot.

I hope your translation is a success.