News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Super Robot Wars Gaiden: The Elemental Lords Translated  (Read 13065 times)

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
Hmm, I just might make a tiny patch which fixes the differences in the patched graphics at 0x3df600-0x3dfc7f. Some bytes there are FF if you patch the overdump and 00 when patching the smaller rom. It's due to IPS expecting that area to be filled with FF and that is only true in the case of the overdump.

EDIT: Here it is. This one changes a grand total of 7 bytes from the patched data which came out different in my file compare. Unlike the previous patch, this one is to be applied on top of the English translation. As previously, use at your own risk etc. The only person to know if anything else needs to be modified would be Gideon. You might want to expand the ROM to 4MB before applying the translation and the hotfix just in case.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 12:00:52 pm by mziab »

Alcahest

• Demon of Elru
    • View Profile
Ok, here's the v1.00 IPS patch for the clean no-intro ROM.
The resulting ROM is what was intended by Gideon in the first place.
Hope it helps.
<clicky>

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
That patch is kinda problematic, though. It contains a whole meg worth of original data due to how IPS works. This isn't exactly legal, which is why my hotfixes try to achieve what was intended but without that extra data.

Anyway, as a quick fix xdelta can be used to make the patch, which is not only safer from a legal standpoint, the resulting patch is 5 times smaller too. Having said that, HERE it is.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 01:47:03 pm by mziab »

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
Great, thanks for the patch, Alcahest. Everything seems to work fine. Granted, I haven't gotten that far yet, but so far so good. The original patch seems to work fine too with the clean version of the rom, but to avoid any possible bugs, it's of course better to use the overdump version as it was stated here before.

And I wouldn't worry about the whole "legal" thing. At this point, it's more of a so called "moral" issue rather than a "legal" issue since games older than ten years which are off the market tend to fall into the category of abandonware. It's not like Banpresto or any other company is going to track down everyone and sue them for playing a game made in the 90s which was never even released officially in English. Otherwise, all those tons of easy to find rom sites wouldn't even exist anymore. At this point, it's more about digital preservation rather than piracy and companies know this. This is especially true for games now over twenty years old such as NES and SNES ones. People download movies and songs all the time off the internet without getting into trouble and that's a much hotter issue than roms. So as long as you don't go crazy overboard with newer releases, you should be fine. And I wouldn't consider playing a rom a legal nor moral crime like robbing a bank either...

Edit: I mean of course, not in any sort of legal trouble unless you try to sell patches or roms. Now, those types of people are the real pirates, not honest fans like us.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 11:34:18 am by Recca »
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Hey folks, just getting over a really nasty virus + allergy one-two punch (finally back in the office, sheesh) and should have an updated patch with that fix (and a few other, small, wording and text-flow related things) this weekend.

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
And I wouldn't worry about the whole "legal" thing. At this point, it's more of a so called "moral" issue rather than a "legal" issue since games older than ten years which are off the market tend to fall into the category of abandonware. It's not like Banpresto or any other company is going to track down everyone and sue them for playing a game made in the 90s which was never even released officially in English. Otherwise, all those tons of easy to find rom sites wouldn't even exist anymore. At this point, it's more about digital preservation rather than piracy and companies know this. This is especially true for games now over twenty years old such as NES and SNES ones. People download movies and songs all the time off the internet without getting into trouble and that's a much hotter issue than roms. So as long as you don't go crazy overboard with newer releases, you should be fine. And I wouldn't consider playing a rom a legal nor moral crime like robbing a bank either...

Edit: I mean of course, not in any sort of legal trouble unless you try to sell patches or roms. Now, those types of people are the real pirates, not honest fans like us.

Sure, but if you can avoid the issue entirely by using xdelta (or BPS for that matter) AND make the patch smaller, this is a valid option. Especially, since there's a nice patcher/patch creator for it in the form of Delta Patcher. Well, this is a moot point, since Gideon will be issuing a corrected patch shortly. But the only upside of IPS patches is that they're common and easily soft-patched. Releases in multiple formats are nice, but only a handful of people do that.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 03:24:53 pm by mziab »

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
But the only upside of IPS patches is that they're common and easily soft-patched. Releases in multiple formats are nice, but only a handful of people do that.

Multiple formats are a thing I've actually been meaning to do, but I keep forgetting :( One of these days!

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
Multiple formats are a thing I've actually been meaning to do, but I keep forgetting :( One of these days!

Oh, that would be cool. IPS for the old-school crowd, BPS/xdelta for those who aren't afraid of getting their feet wet and using a new patching utility. With ucon64/Floating IPS and xdelta you could even automatically create all patches as part of your build without all the manual mucking around with GUI tools.

But going back to the heart of the matter... Since banks 20-2F and 30-3F are identical copies in the original overdump and the only thing you're changing in the latter copy are the battle graphics I mentioned earlier in the thread (0x3df600-0x3dfc7f), you could move them back to the 2D bank, repoint and have a patch which works with both the regular-sized rom AND the overdump. By definition, anything in the 30-3F banks wouldn't be used by the game, unless you explicitly hacked it to be so.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 05:58:41 am by mziab »

kaiisen

• View Profile
Thank you so much! :-* Full translation of this series for the old consoles/handheld are so rare. I love this series so much, and I'm always curious about more from Banpresto.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Update's live on AGTP. I've submitted the patch to RHDN and it's currently in queue, but if you can't wait the link is in the first post :)

Alcahest

• Demon of Elru
    • View Profile
Update's live on AGTP. I've submitted the patch to RHDN and it's currently in queue, but if you can't wait the link is in the first post :)
Thanks but no go, your new 1.01 patch applied on a virgin 3mb no-intro rom doesn't work, gives a black screen.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
I tested this! Ugh. Just a sec.

Edit: I just reapplied the patch and it seems to be working fine for me?

Further edit: I've downloaded the patch from my website and applied it to a ROM whose CRC32 and MD5 I've compared against the No-Intro DAT-o-MATIC and it still works for me. What are you using to patch? The patch expands the ROM and it's possible that your patcher does not support expansion via IPS.

I used LunarIPS (as always) to create and patch, for what it's worth.

Tested with snes9x 1.53 and bsnes-plus accuracy v073+3a

Working with a few people on my discord server and they're claiming it doesn't work on bsnes v087 and v088, but that it does work on higan.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 06:30:43 pm by Gideon Zhi »

Alcahest

• Demon of Elru
    • View Profile
Ok, thanks, that was it.
Resulting ROM MD5 is B7B325BD6D38D4AD913C1935E72040BC
It indeed doesn't work on bsnes 0.88, is what made me think it was broken.
I hope it works on SD2SNES..
It's strange as previous patch worked without issues on 0.88 btw.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
I'll continue to look into it, but yeah, not sure what's up with v088.

How are you running this on SD2SNES? It's an SA-1 game. I didn't think SD2SNES supported SA-1 at the moment?

Alcahest

• Demon of Elru
    • View Profile
Huh right, bad ram, forgot it was SA-1 for a sec ^^;

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Okay, issue was with a quirk of SA-1 mapping. I've got a fix, will upload shortly.

Edit: Fix is live. If someone could grab the patch from AGTP and verify that the translation when patched to the no-intro rom produces a rom with a good checksum, I'd appreciate it; I've been kind of rushing to get the fix out and while I don't *think* I missed anything it's certainly within the realm of possibility.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 07:38:47 pm by Gideon Zhi »

Alcahest

• Demon of Elru
    • View Profile
Thank you Gideon, rom now works with bsnes 0.88 and has a good checksum ;)

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Great to hear. Thanks for following up!

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
Re: Translations: Super Robot Wars Gaiden: The Elemental Lords Translated
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2018, 03:19:48 pm »
Not to nitpick, but the readme still mentions the 4-megabyte rom in the patching instructions. Apart from that, everything's golden.

travel27

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Super Robot Wars Gaiden: The Elemental Lords Translated
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2018, 09:52:27 pm »
Wow, this is a really REALLY bad game.  Horribly balanced.  I mean, nothing against GZ as the translation seems to be top notch but it is hard to tell as you can't even get your 3 weak robots past battle 4 to take off the needed 10000 HP off the enemy robot as the enemy robot heals every single round and takes off 50% of your HP.  And I am supposed to sit there and grind a bunch of levels until I can withstand this onslaught?  Not even a chance to distribute points after each loss.  NO THANKS.  Second SRW I have tried, 2nd SRW that is just incredibly poorly made.  Awful stuff here.  But yah, from what I saw of the translation, at least that is good, the only good thing about the game.