News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Akuma Kun Makai No Wana  (Read 775 times)

snark

• 晴天の霹靂
    • View Profile
Akuma Kun Makai No Wana
« on: May 17, 2018, 11:18:56 pm »
Interested in this, wanted to know if there were any who wished to collaborate with this project.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."

cccmar

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
Re: Akuma Kun Makai No Wana
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 01:36:49 am »
Didn't KingMike translate that one already like a year ago? I think the patch just had one weird bug/wasn't edited, but it was playable from start to finish nevertheless. EDIT: Actually, you can still find it on this very board if you search the "KingMike's Translation projects" thread, page 6. Perhaps it would be best to ask him about it. :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 01:45:37 am by cccmar »

snark

• 晴天の霹靂
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 04:35:20 am »
Do you have a link to said project? The one shown for patches is listed as unfinished.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."

Proveaux

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 10:57:48 am »

cccmar

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 11:03:50 am »
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=6405.msg337180#msg337180 - just check this page (should be page number 6) - the beta patch can be found there. Though KingMike can tell you much more about it, naturally. :)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 01:00:17 pm »
My translation was mostly Tomato's really old script translation with only a few things I think really needed to be changed edited (as well as one entire text block, mostly battle text, which wasn't translated. I did with machine assistance as well as asking Tomato to do one major cutscene worth of text contained within that block).

Still though, it contains a crashing bug that affects just the beginning of the game.
If I recall it was trying to use Recover on the main (Select) menu but somehow fixes itself after a certain progress point.

Though I think even Tomato said he wasn't opposed to a full script re-do (as he was still a beginner when he did it and he translated without context), as well as perhaps re-checking the enemy names. Is that the idea here?

I wonder if it would be better to release my script inserter as well as the edited script dump (which took quite a deal of effort to modify from Tomato's original release to fit the inserter).

As aside from the Recover bug, it does contain a fair amount of ASM that I recall was not trivial to do, such as more text space (window size as well as single-spacing text windows to fit more text, as well as menu rearrangement).

Battle text is in pretty poor English, I know, as a result of having to wrap English text around a script engine designed for Japanese grammar. That would be another major bit of ASM work I think that I wasn't feeling prepared for after the rest of the work.

I recall I lost track of who did the title screen, though. Again, my apologizes and correct me so I can credit it.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

snark

• 晴天の霹靂
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 03:29:43 pm »
Hey King Mike! Great to hear from you, it was fun to work with you on Momotaro. If you have the texts I would be happy to go over them. If not I could go over it and send you what I have, since Tomato is cool with it. This is a really interested and weird game, and would be fun to collaborate and get this one finished. Cheers,
snark

Proveaux

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 04:56:52 pm »
I recall I lost track of who did the title screen, though. Again, my apologizes and correct me so I can credit it.

Patch
New - Added video for those who want sound.
Video

Glad you used it.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 10:10:14 pm »
I was about to add your name to the credits on RHDN but it looks like I never actually submitted the beta patch, I must've only made a dropbox or mediafire or something link.

I probably should edit up the readme, though. I recall I only actually half finished it and it contained the remains of a different game (Indra probably). :P
I did add the credit to my information, sorry about that.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."