News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

4 (57.1%)
3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Sonic 5 - Improvement Vol.2 (Nes)  (Read 42742 times)

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart: Terwilf
Re: Sonic 5 - Improvement Vol.2 (Nes)
« Reply #160 on: March 13, 2019, 06:45:31 pm »
 Satoshi_Matrix
can that be fixed to make the game 'full screen'?
I know what you are referring to, I also hate that aspect of the game, but I do not know how to solve it, since it is not that the game draws any specific tiles there *, but everything that is under that line is eliminated, both the background and the objects :P

Despite this, by crashing the game it is possible to realize that originally the game if you draw the graphics in that sector.  Another detail is that this line is not used in any of the transition screens between levels.

On the other hand I imagine that the function of this line is to hide the abrupt cut suffered by the waterfalls in Green Hill, since otherwise I can not make sense of it :-\

Spoiler:
* This is not an assumption, since I checked it replacing all the graphics of the game, and unfortunately this line did not suffer any change :(

SuperStarFox
 For the title screen I have two options:
  One option is to see how to adapt my design back to the previously discovered limitations by creating a graphically lower version.
  I can also choose to ask for help from someone technically better prepared to rewrite the operation of it in a way that best suits my design.

But as I said, I find myself working on other things at the moment, so I recommend waiting for him to publish some kind of update of the topic before asking another question about it.

About the rest of the project, I was not doing anything really transcendent:
 ● I was playing with some palettes configurations.
 ● I was solving some bugs in certain zones*.
 ● I'm trying some alternative graphics, for example:

On the other hand I discovered that in the game it is still possible to cross some walls under very specific circumstances, these bugs happen in the "Green Hill" pipes, in the union of two different block types in "Marble", and in the blocks of lions that touch the ground in "Labyrinth", the latter are the only ones I already know how to fix.

Finally I would like to recommend the gameplay that SuperStarFox has made by trying an old version of this hack, in which you can see several interesting things that I have not commented on in my publications.

Spoiler:
* For example in "Labyrinth" there are no "surface blocks" under the water and you can not pass the spike of the floor among other things that I solved :laugh:

Note: Really sometimes I get the feeling that I do not have a real interaction with you, the problem with that is that I do not think you are a bad person, but this type of communication is not healthy, it seems that you only consider what I say when I talk about you :'(

« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 10:49:38 pm by sics »

HPJ

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 14, 2019, 01:07:21 pm »
About the rest of the project, I was not doing anything really transcendent:
 ● I was playing with some palettes configurations.
 ● I was solving some bugs in certain zones*.
 ● I'm trying some alternative graphics, for example:

Wow, that waterfall is stunning!

cartridge_rom

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 14, 2019, 02:29:49 pm »
amazing :o

Alternative graphics are great, it gives the project a lot of fresh quality and it improves the colors a lot

I love the waterfall, it's pure work quality :crazy:

Good job Sics :beer: :thumbsup:

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 14, 2019, 03:23:44 pm »
 Thanks, I just thought to include them only as alternative graphics, but I suspect that you prefer to make them the default graphics for the patch :D

On the other hand I was also testing the cascades of STH - Triple Trouble, but they need some editing to adapt to the general aesthetics of Green Hill.

Note: At this level, if I'm not mistaken, the colors are supposed to be the same, I just changed the emulator, to avoid confusion later I'll start using the same palette in all the emulators I use :thumbsup:

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 15, 2019, 01:07:56 am »
Would you look at that, an 8-bit Sonic game. Never was big on the MasterSystem/GameGear version, myself.

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #165 on: March 15, 2019, 03:29:06 am »
Would you look at that, an 8-bit Sonic game. Never was big on the MasterSystem/GameGear version, myself.
This isn't an 8-bit Sonic game, this is an extensive reworking of a bootleg Taiwanese unlicensed port of Sonic the Hedgehog 1 for MD to the Famicom with Mario instead of Sonic called Somari. Cool idea on paper, but Somari was plagued with bugs.

This hack works to fix the biggest issues and replace most (if not all?) of the original Somari sprites and ake the game MUCH more playable.

But that said,if the real Sonic games on Master System/GameGear don't appeal to you, this one probably won't either. 

A fast action platformer with four way scrolling is a tall order for 8-bit hardware. 16 bit platforms can handle it so much easier and at higher resolutions. This is really more of a passion project to sort of fully realize the concept of Somari into an actual good game.

SuperStarFox

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 15, 2019, 04:08:05 am »
Sics, The Waterfall Animation is So Beautiful, It Looks So Beautiful...

But Princess Beautiful DIED OF BALDNESS!!!

On The Other Hand, How's The Progress On The Rest Of Green Hill Zone Including All Of The Other Zones (Expect For Scrap Brain Zone)!  :)

UltraEpicLeader100

• Just some hedgehog from another dimension...
    • View Profile
    • My discord server
« Reply #167 on: March 16, 2019, 10:38:16 am »
Will there still be a chance to play as Somari if you corrupt the game in the right way?

SuperStarFox

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 16, 2019, 10:56:14 pm »
to UltrEpicLeader100, I Don't Think So... This Hack Focuses More On Sonic Rather Than Somari, If You Still Want To Play as Somari, Then You Should Download Somari 3D Blast 5 Since That Game Lets You Play as Somari, Sonic, and Hummer!

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 17, 2019, 04:00:39 am »
 First I would like to thank all those who have participated in the survey that I published.

I confess that I would have loved to release a demo to know your opinion about the game, but it is a democracy, so I guess I'll wait another time :laugh:

Spooniest
 Being honest I prefer the Sonic romhacks to their official games, I can not believe that being defenseless when you push with a spring is considered a game mechanic. That's why it cost me so much to give Megaman a chance, until Robocop crouches down, god! :P

Satoshi_Matrix
 It will be that I like to suffer, but I think that the excessive difficulty of this port has a certain charm :laugh:

SuperStarFox
 Thank you very much, I do not see Adventure Time, so I did not understand the reference, the next one tries with something from Steven Universe :thumbsup:

by Hollulu

On the other hand that animation belongs to the Mario franchise, so I decided to replace it with another more consistent with Green Hill.

At first I thought it could be an interesting nod to the crossover that started with this game, but it's really a bad idea, I guess I'll include it with the extras.

About what I am doing, I would not like to talk too much ahead of time, since I am the kind of person who does not feel any kind of remorse for discarding weeks of work when their results do not meet their expectations 8)

On what to expect from Scrap Brain I actually managed to correct the data of the title screen and the music of that level, so now they work correctly, I guess that's something :D

UltraEpicLeader100
 Somari's data is no longer present in the game, since they were replaced to include Sonic, the only way Somari revisits Green Hill would be if a person without common sense searched and identified each of the data originals of Somaria in his natal game, but do you know how long it would take to do such a thing? :P

Spoiler:

Exactly one full afternoon Thanks for the idea, I loved it! Somari in STH Improvement.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 09:43:21 pm by sics »

SuperStarFox

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 17, 2019, 05:07:17 am »
I Love The Unused Scrap Brain Zone Track Since It Sounds So Good and That It Was Never Played In Somari!
Also Sics, What Do You Mean By "Corrected The Data For The Title Screen", Are You Saying That You Might Have Found A Way To Add The New Title Screen To The Game, If Not... Then Take Your Time. I Also Love To See How Pretty Green Hill Zone Is Now Going To Look, I Mostly Hope That You Upload More Videos On The Improvements You've Been Working On For Sonic On NES Soon! Until Then... Great Work!  ;)

HPJ

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 17, 2019, 06:51:54 am »
UltraEpicLeader100
 Somari's data is no longer present in the game, since they were replaced to include Sonic, the only way Somari revisits Green Hill would be if a person without common sense searched and identified each of the data originals of Somaria in his natal game, but do you know how long it would take to do such a thing? :P

Well, theoretically, if the game was corrupted in exactly the right way, the graphics could be replaced exactly by the ones from somari, but the chances of that actually happening are so slim that it is probably safe to say there's no point trying

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 17, 2019, 07:08:50 am »
SuperStarFox
 Putting things in context I referred to the changes belonging to Scrap Brain, so I was referring to the level title screen, originally this level was titled Final Zone :thumbsup:

Gastronomicon
 If you check the spoiler link of my previous comment, the chances of that happening may increase by 5% :beer:

PS: On the other hand corrupting information is only useful to understand what was the function of a specific sector, and even if you could achieve your goals by changing data randomly you would be opening the door to an endless number of unnecessary bugs ;)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 04:02:43 pm by sics »

cartridge_rom

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 17, 2019, 04:31:15 pm »
Sics in case of a future hack that incorporates Scrap Brain Zone :thumbsup:
what would be the musical theme chosen, the original of megadrive or the master system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25QfKGuiims

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m4u6uWxQDg

SuperStarFox

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 17, 2019, 04:34:58 pm »
There Won't Be a Final Zone!?
Oh Well... But Anyways Sics, I Think I Can Change The "Somari Team Presents" Text From Somari Back To "Sonic Team Presents"! My Version Of It Will Be a Bit More Better Than The Design That Hummer Team Didn;t Use For Sonic 5 on NES and I Think It'll Look Good, Until Then, Wish Me Guys Good Luck!  :angel:

Sics, I Did It... I Managed To Change The "Somari Team Presents" To "Sonic Team Presents"! I Wish I Could Edit It a Bit, But I Decided To Keep It This Way and Decided Not To Edit Anything Else For The Somari Team Presents Screen Since I Got Really Tired Of Doing This! I Also Don't Know How To Add The Sonic Team Presents Screen To The Project Since I Only Did It On Somari Instead! In The Meantime, I'll Give You Time To Think About It and I'll Also Put It In or Out Of Your Mind, For Now!  ;)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 08:30:21 pm by SuperStarFox »

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 17, 2019, 08:29:40 pm »
Cartridge_rom
 I would use the soundtrack composed by Amilgi of course :thumbsup:

SuperStarFox
 Of course there will be Final Zone, is more I am currently working to give a better finish, with some extra graphics and also adapting the spacecraft that is used in the rest of the game to use it in this area for reasons of coherence.

Therefore, to completely clear up the doubts, I clarify that correcting the data of Scrap Brain, only affects Scrap Brain, originally this zone loaded erroneous data on what cover should show and what music had to reproduce, now this does not happen :beer:

Remember that if you want to create graphics that can be used in a real game you should always take into account the restrictions of the original material, in this case the graphics of the screen mentioned are composed of two layers one of background (Somari Presents) and another of sprites (Team)

« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 08:38:13 pm by sics »

SuperStarFox

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 17, 2019, 09:13:00 pm »
You got It... Since I Finally Changed The "Somari Team Presents" To Sonic Team Presents!

How Did You Manage To Find Scrap Brain Zone and I Wonder What Scrap Brain Zone Is Going To Look Like Including The Final Zone!  :)

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 18, 2019, 01:32:26 am »
 Cool! Will you redraw all the letters or just the one necessary for your edition? :cookie:

As I mentioned returning the game to Scrap Brain is not among my goals, but in this case I do not discard it because I dislike the idea, but because I do not have the technical level to achieve it yet, so please avoid reading between lines in the future, it hurts to have to explain this again and again ;)

To UltrEpicLeader100, I Don't Think So... This Hack Focuses More On Sonic Rather Than Somari, If You Still Want To Play as Somari, Then You Should Download Somari 3D Blast 5 Since That Game Lets You Play as Somari, Sonic, and Hummer!

I do not agree, the idea of UltrEpicLeader100 seems to me just great, since for many Somari represents the first contact with the universe of Sonic, I also think that it is a mistake to think that this hack is only about creating a decent Sonic port, my desire is to create a game that despite the technical limitations can be enjoyed by all :beer:

That's why for the one who missed it I leave this gift: Somari in STH Improvement! :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 09:44:27 pm by sics »

cartridge_rom

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 19, 2019, 01:49:28 pm »

I did not know that Amilgi developed the Scrap Brain Zone theme without being available, as it is broken in the game code :huh:

great to use the original theme, then Amilgi developed all the Bso of the Sonic 1 of MegaDrive by Famitracker :thumbsup:

It's a pity that Amilgi or Ti does not develop more music projects for the Nes, there are not many experts in developing music with famitracker :'(
the pirate pots of HummerTeam is screaming for it

Super Mario World / Super Fighter III / Final Fight 3 among many others ....

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 19, 2019, 04:39:01 pm »
Uhhh what does those three number means in the poll because Im confused?