News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Bob-Omb Mario  (Read 1118 times)

NesDraug

• View Profile
Bob-Omb Mario
« on: November 21, 2021, 11:51:01 am »
I always wanted to do a Super Mario Bros. 1 hack where I use the patch: Break Brick β
Fireballs can destory brick blocks.
Author of the ips: Masa&Yuu

This upcoming hack will be sort of the spiritual sequel to my hack Mario's Keep.

Mario will break blocks using bob-ombs.

-

Also I'm working on some animations. Here's some waterfalls:

I think it will be a pretty straightforward hack with some puzzle elelments but it's also possible to speedrun the levels.
Hello! You found my shop of strange and wonderful things!
https://www.tumblr.com/blog/nesdraug

werewolfslayr925

• View Profile
Re: Bob-Omb Mario
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 09:58:00 pm »
Looks like fun! I'm not a huge fan of the SMB1 engine, but you make the game look pretty and fun enough to move me t give it a shot.
As the harbor is welcome to the sailor, so is the last line to the scribe.

Trax

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 12:20:10 am »
What logic do you use for animations? Bank swapping? If so, you must have done a mapper change, MMC3 maybe?

NesDraug

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 03:49:56 am »
What logic do you use for animations? Bank swapping? If so, you must have done a mapper change, MMC3 maybe?

Mapper 3 - VROM (CHR) Switch / CNROM.

Yes. It's a animation patch:

Once patched, they will be three extra sprites sheets (4 in total), so that you can edit the sprites. You can't open the hack in SMB Utility after patching this.
Author of the patch: Masa&Yuu

-

So what I did was to repurpose vertical ropes of balance lifts into waterfalls.That's fine and all, but the waterfalls would be brown because they (ropes) share palette with the ground. I had the hardest time separating the palettes!

This is a perfect example of how cryptic this game can be to hack. I have got access to A Comprehensive Super Mario Bros Disassembly and still I could not find a simple way of just assigning a new palette to ropes.

So what I had to do was to take out the top of the cloud metatile (because thats's a different palette). ROM adress: 139A. And put it in the ropes metatile adress: ROM 0BBC. And that affected the bushes so I had to switch metatiles for bushes as well. That alone took me a week, but at least I'm learning stuff.

diablo666

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2021, 08:01:12 am »
It looks interesting at the initial stage. Waiting for the full version ;D

Trax

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 10:22:16 am »
If I recall correctly, the palette attributed to a tile is determined by bits 6-7 of its Tile Code. Therefore, Tile Codes 00-3F have palette 0, 40-7F palette 1, 80-BF palette 2, and C0-FF palette 3 (cycling colors). The pointer table for tile mapping tables is at B08. Addresses are B10, BAC, C64 and C8C, for tile mappings of Tile Codes with palettes 0, 1, 2 and 3 respectively.

NesDraug

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 04:43:38 pm »
If I recall correctly, the palette attributed to a tile is determined by bits 6-7 of its Tile Code. Therefore, Tile Codes 00-3F have palette 0, 40-7F palette 1, 80-BF palette 2, and C0-FF palette 3 (cycling colors). The pointer table for tile mapping tables is at B08. Addresses are B10, BAC, C64 and C8C, for tile mappings of Tile Codes with palettes 0, 1, 2 and 3 respectively.

Thanks. I´m not sure I understand how to put this information into action, but I´m fine with my solution for the time being. Everything works fine.

There are some stuff I wish to add to my hack though. Which I don´t know how to do.

- Decrease time on the intermediate screen

- Make Toad/Princess text say different things at the end of world 6, 7, and 8.

- Make end music play at the end of both world 7 and 8.

- Custom music