News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Anyone wanna join me and team hack ALTTP?! =D  (Read 1060 times)

The3Dude

• View Profile
Anyone wanna join me and team hack ALTTP?! =D
« on: May 10, 2018, 01:45:14 pm »
~NOTE~ Subject has been edited) Anyone here want to help me team hack ALTTP?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 08:53:31 pm by The3Dude »
~The3Dude~

kerberos7

• View Profile
Re: Help!!! with ALTTP (Zelda3 SNES) Hacking!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 03:27:16 pm »
Nice screenshot, The3dude.

To answer your question, Hyrule Magic is not really the problem.
Namely you can Not insert new elements (either horizontal or vertical or full-flood) onto the title screen, since those will then not display correctly. The newly inserted elements (then filled with gfx) are "pasiv" ones and will not show in-game.

You need to use existing (active) elements, reorganize them and fill them with gfx. Now that you have your title done, you need to make a new rom file, insert the gfx into it and then edit the title screen carefully by not eleteing the active elements, which will display correctly in-game too.

-----------------------------

The3dude wrote:
Someone is selling my ROM Hack.... Should I be worried????

Answer:
I have the impression that discussion on this topic is discouraged, but I am curious about people's attitudes too. The short answer is, there is nothing you can do. No matter your intentions, you violated Nintendo's copyright (i.e., broke the law) by modifying the ROM in the first place. The person selling cartridges with your modified ROM is essentially on the same ground as you, legally. It comes down to honor among thieves, and there is none.
My point of view is that people selling your work (Nintendo's work, with your modifications) should give you a portion of the sales, because they profit from work you have done. But they don't have to, so they don't.

The3dude wrote:
But.... Guys my hack falls under (fair use) I have the cartridge (Meaning the original Zelda 1) and I uploaded a patch file (My work) not a ROM (Nintendo's work) If anyone were to get in trouble it would be ~The Seller~ Because he's making profit off of my ROM Hack.
Well I didn't break the law.... I'm just saying that there's no way (atleast I think) I could get into Trouble about this because all I did was post a (perfectly legal) Ips file not an illegal ROM.

Someone else wrote:
I agree that "let it go" and move on is the best option.

Do not worry The3dude, a known romhacker, who was kicked off this site, is making a smaller alternative to Romhacking.net, which will address the piracy issue and solve it.

Most pirates are using Romhacking.net to download material for their business and the rules on this site pretty much pasively support them, since all the hacks need to be compatible with real hardware to be accepted (ie no emulator specific hacks allowed).

The mentality here is to close their eyes and do nothing and even to demonize the authors by comparing them to pirates (ie you stole from Nintendo, why do you complain), a perverted mentality, which is vividly colour-blind to what is grey area (ips patches and fair use from someone who worked hard) and what is black area (direct profit of someone who did absolutely nothing, thus explicit theft).

The other site will actually be a Discord channel which will host SNES hacks. NES was not yet "decoded". But all SNES hacks will be "ported", so that you will be able to play them on Windows operating system only, to keep it in fair use and not be able to make them work on real hardware.

Of course this is a double edged sword and looks a lot like Nesticle hacks strategy, but I say anything is better than to deliberately support piracy. At least you will be able to Choose.

The3dude, when the Discord channel opens, you will surely get and invite (which you need to be able to join). Then you can Decide how to publish your hack (either Windows only with all negative consequences, like not be able to play it on flashcarts, PSP emus, Wii etc, or "open source" which will result in piracy, however good people will be able to experience it better). Your Choice.

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 03:36:37 pm »
To answer your question, Hyrule Magic is not really the problem.
Namely you can Not insert new elements (either horizontal or vertical or full-flood) onto the title screen, since those will then not display correctly. The newly inserted elements (then filled with gfx) are "pasiv" ones and will not show in-game.

You need to use existing (active) elements, reorganize them and fill them with gfx. Now that you have your title done, you need to make a new rom file, insert the gfx into it and then edit the title screen carefully by not eleteing the active elements, which will display correctly in-game too.

-----------------------------

Do not worry The3dude, a known romhacker, who was kicked off this site, is making a smaller alternative to Romhacking.net, which will address the piracy issue and solve it.

Most pirates are using Romhacking.net to download material for their business and the rules on this site pretty much pasively support them, since all the hacks need to be compatible with real hardware to be accepted (ie no emulator specific hacks allowed).

The mentality here is to close their eyes and do nothing and even to demonize the authors by comparing them to pirates (ie you stole from Nintendo, why do you complain), a perverted mentality, which is vividly colour-blind to what is grey area (ips patches and fair use from someone who worked hard) and what is black area (direct profit of someone who did absolutely nothing, thus explicit theft).

The other site will actually be a Discord channel which will host SNES hacks. NES was not yet "decoded". But all SNES hacks will be "ported", so that you will be able to play them on Windows operating system only, to keep it in fair use and not be able to make them work on real hardware.

Of course this is a double edged sword and looks a lot like Nesticle hacks strategy, but I say anything is better than to deliberately support piracy. At least you will be able to Choose.

The3dude, when the Discord channel opens, you will surely get and invite (which you need to be able to join). Then you can Decide how to publish your hack (either Windows only with all negative consequences, like not be able to play it on flashcarts, PSP emus, Wii etc, or "open source" which will result in piracy, however good people will be able to experience it better). Your Choice.

[/quote]

I tried but sadly it didn't work. When I did it still makes the tiles, black, and thanks for the info about that piracy stuff!

I'll probably just make it so the gilded sword lights up everything. Eg. The Tiles will be black and once the sword falls everything lights up.

~The3Dude~

kerberos7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 05:04:53 pm »
I tried but sadly it didn't work. When I did it still makes the tiles, black, and thanks for the info about that piracy stuff!

I'll probably just make it so the gilded sword lights up everything. Eg. The Tiles will be black and once the sword falls everything lights up.

I only now know your problem. In this case it is a simple Palettes issue. There are 2 palettes, which seem the same, but they are not. On is for tiles to be instantly light, the other palette, which you were using is to leave certain tiles black until the sword fals down.

So you just need to change the pals to the one which makes the tiles light all the time, and for the tiles you wish to be black first and then light, you use the other palette.

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 05:12:51 pm »
THANKYOU!!!!
~The3Dude~