News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Diver's Dream (Help with extracting images)  (Read 843 times)

Mr.Nobody

• View Profile
Diver's Dream (Help with extracting images)
« on: May 04, 2018, 07:00:24 am »
Hello, everybody! I'm translating Diver's Dream (SLES-01535) to Spanish atm.

I have already finished translating and injecting the text and I'm having a little bit of a problem finding how to extract certain image files to translate so i though of asking again in the forum if someone can bring ideas or helping me out with the issue.

All textures can be easily found and organized withing the folders but I don't seem to be able to find the menu words or cutscene images.

For example with the menu words, i did a small trace with no$psx and I'm able to check the images in the save state using nana. It seems that image of the words its located inside a folder called DT which have one file per language (English,German & French).

I have not found any headers or nothing that i can use to view these images with timviewer, so I don't know if the images are compressed differently than usual or I'm not tracing it correctly. I hope somebody can reach out and help me with the issue.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 08:24:30 am by Mr.Nobody »

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Diver's Dream (Help with extracting images)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 11:51:08 am »
If it is for the PS1 a cutscene might well be a video instead. Indeed watching a let's play I would put a decent wager on it being that -- I can see a path for the original devs to do some of those effects in hardware but video would be the normal way, especially for a cutscene.

Menus might well be more conventional text rather than graphics textures.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 03:22:33 pm »
Tools like TimView, Rainbow and OPTPIX.IMAGESTUDIO.V3.12A-TRiNiTY rely on the existence of a standard TIM header just before image data with the info they need so that they show anything, and fail reading otherwise without that data.

You will probably need to get the raw data to show. There are many ways to do so like:
  • Crystaltile2, tile mode GBA 4/8BPP, tile width a multiple of 8, tile height 1, number of tiles per line a multiple of 8
  • Tilemolester, codec 4/8BPP linear reverse, mode 2-Dimensional, number of tiles per line a multiple of 8
Experiment with tile width and number of tiles per line settings. You'll sometimes find some garbage dots just before the graphics, those are likely the CLUT, or its palette. I don't know of an easy way to convert that to a *.pal format palette to make those programs use the correct colors when showing those.
Note that for N64/PS2/PSP/PS3 graphics, it follows a lot of the same methods, except you change the tile mode / codec, and sometimes you run into compression, or mipmapped PS2 graphics (never found a solution for showing these), or swizzling (whatever it is, PS1 and beyond truly is uncharted waters).

You can feed them the file if you know which one it is (often by file replacement) or the whole ISO if you feel adventurous.

Mr.Nobody

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 02:25:44 pm »
Thanks for the replies, I'll try with those programs and see what i can get.

Thanks again!