News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros. 1 Help: Sprite 0 Hitbox Glitch  (Read 1266 times)

Pikamon101_YT

• View Profile
Super Mario Bros. 1 Help: Sprite 0 Hitbox Glitch
« on: May 02, 2018, 03:04:27 am »
Hi!
I'm making a Super Mario Bros. ROM Hack and I'm working my hardest on it and trying to make it fancy (Especially the Title Screen) and I've encountered a problem with the Coin Icon Texture on the Title Screen or also known as Sprite 0.
I can't erase it or re-color it or anything and what I've heard, it's really hard to change/erase and people call it the "Sprite 0 Hitbox Glitch".
When I tried re-coloring the texture or replacing it, it just crashes my ROM Hack.
I know this is a huge request but if somebody could fix this for me on my ROM Hack I'd extremely appreciate it!
Thank you! :)
Screenshot of My Problem: https://imgur.com/EwSYZiT

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Bros. 1 Help: Sprite 0 Hitbox Glitch
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 12:01:47 pm »
It's a feature of the NES. It is being used so the system knows where the end of the HUD is when it draws the screen so it can not scroll the HUD when it scrolls the rest of the screen.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Pikamon101_YT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 10:50:02 pm »
It's a feature of the NES. It is being used so the system knows where the end of the HUD is when it draws the screen so it can not scroll the HUD when it scrolls the rest of the screen.

Hi!
Thank you for the reply!
I already know that but I was wondering if there is a way to remove it or re-texture it so it doesn't show up on the Title Screen and/or the Levels.
I just want it to be the same color as the sky or invisible.
It's possible! Here is an image of a SMB HROM Hack without the Sprite 0/Coin!
I would really appreciate the help a lot!
Thank you, have a great day and God bless!

Eden.GT

• Hardcore SMB1 Player and Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 07:54:10 pm »
Hi!
Thank you for the reply!
I already know that but I was wondering if there is a way to remove it or re-texture it so it doesn't show up on the Title Screen and/or the Levels.
I just want it to be the same color as the sky or invisible.
I would really appreciate the help a lot!
Thank you, have a great day and God bless!

Another BG sheet of CHR-ROM is produced, so the coin sprite isn't written there. ROM expansion is required, and I wouldn't know how to work with this....
Is the pool clean?

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 09:27:46 pm »

do you have a link to that hack?

Eden.GT

• Hardcore SMB1 Player and Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 02:52:14 am »
do you have a link to that hack?

This hack is not available anywhere on the internet, so I'm supplying a temporary link:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/263117905036574720/442579302727548929/nazo_demo.ips

By the way frantik, is the distribution and changing of the code of your created program "SMB Graphics Workshop" allowed?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 03:14:05 am by Eden.GT »
Is the pool clean?

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 05:58:55 am »
This hack is not available anywhere on the internet, so I'm supplying a temporary link:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/263117905036574720/442579302727548929/nazo_demo.ips

By the way frantik, is the distribution and changing of the code of your created program "SMB Graphics Workshop" allowed?

thanks.. I thought maybe they had done some trick to get rid of sprite 0 but it looks they used a mapper.  In Super Mario Unlimited I'm pretty sure I just put a black tile over the sprite but I don't remember exactly how it was done

And sure if you want to modify SMB Graphics Workshop go ahead, that's why I included the source code.  If you distribute it, please at least give me credit for my work