News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X4 Undub (v1.11) & Mega Man 8 Undub (v1.4)  (Read 64339 times)

TrekkiesUnite118

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X4 Undub (v1.11) & Mega Man 8 Undub (v1.4)
« Reply #120 on: August 03, 2020, 09:36:08 am »
Saturn Games are harder to emulate for most people

This is false at this point. You have SSF and Mednafen(And it's various branches) that can play the game flawlessly at this point. You also have Yabause and it's branches which while not as good as the previous two, should be able to play Megaman 8 fine.

and some (including myself), prefer the PS1 version.

So then why are you begging for Saturn Content to be ported over?

The PS1 sound font is better anyway; the Saturn version sounds compressed.

The Saturn can't play back compressed PCM Samples, they have to be decompressed. As a result the quality usually gets lowered so they fit in Audio RAM. Sometimes FM Synth instruments get used as well to save memory. The PS1 cannot do the latter part as it has no FM Synth capabilities at all. If MM8 is using that on the Saturn then that would require sampling the individual FM Synth instruments from a Saturn which isn't really easy to do.

To further highlight this, here's an example from Sakura Wars. On Dreamcast the battle theme sounds like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8zsHF_2nr8

On Saturn it sounds like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBZpqti7Z2w

While the Dreamcast has better quality PCM Instruments, notice how it sounds a bit sterile and flat compared to the Saturn version. This is because the Saturn version is using additional FM Synth instruments to back up the PCM which adds more depth to the overall sound of the song.

PS1 roms are also easier to find online and would therefore make the patching easier for those new to romhacking.

You can find Saturn ISOs on the very same sites you find PS1 ISOs on. Not to mention the entire set of redump rips is on archive.org.

Besides, it seems more impressive to those not in the know about a hack if the hacker was able to change things like music, as music is just as important as gameplay in any video game in regards to contributing to atmosphere, similar to how bad American voice acting contributes to a cheesy localization. ;)

This is a silly argument. Wouldn't it just be as impressive to hack the Saturn version since as you seem to believe the Saturn is more difficult to deal with?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 09:43:13 am by TrekkiesUnite118 »

Supergamerguy

• Retro game fanatic; loves platformers, hates jrpgs
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 03, 2020, 07:05:07 pm »
I wasnt trying to start an argument, that's off topic here.

I'd just like to put it out there that porting Tengu Mans theme to the PS1 version as part of the hack would be a cool little bonus for those that wouldnt consider playing the undub anyways. :)

Stuff like that doesnt get done often while "translations", which can sometimes include dubbings, are common.
Dah-nuh-nuh-nah! Super fighting robot! Dah-nuh-nah-nah! MEGA MAN! Fighting.......to save.......the world!!!!!

TrekkiesUnite118

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 03, 2020, 09:31:24 pm »
I wasnt trying to start an argument, that's off topic here.

I'd just like to put it out there that porting Tengu Mans theme to the PS1 version as part of the hack would be a cool little bonus for those that wouldnt consider playing the undub anyways. :)

Stuff like that doesnt get done often while "translations", which can sometimes include dubbings, are common.

I'm not really trying to start an argument I'm just trying to bring you down to reality and understand that what you're asking is most likely beyond the scope of an undub hack and is most likely not technically feasible due to the distinct differences between the audio hardware of the two systems. There's tons of crazy things that would be neat little bonuses to any hack, but they're just not technically feasible.

If you want Tengu Man's Saturn music, then play the Saturn version. If you want it with an undub hack, then port the undub hack to the Saturn version. That is a far more technically feasible option than what you are asking.

Supergamerguy

• Retro game fanatic; loves platformers, hates jrpgs
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 03, 2020, 09:48:27 pm »
If you want Tengu Man's Saturn music, then play the Saturn version. If you want it with an undub hack, then port the undub hack to the Saturn version. That is a far more technically feasible option than what you are asking.

A guy can dream tho.......
Dah-nuh-nuh-nah! Super fighting robot! Dah-nuh-nah-nah! MEGA MAN! Fighting.......to save.......the world!!!!!

fianovale

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 12, 2020, 10:39:12 pm »
Hi! one question: wich emulator work for MMX4, i use retroarch with bettle hw core, but it crash after beat the intro and before select stage. Thanks!

October 12, 2020, 11:16:38 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
i made it wok with retrarch 1.9.0 with pcsxrearmed core, the odd thing is that if i put any bios the game crash, with no bios the works perfect.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 10:58:12 am by fianovale »

haggers

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 13, 2020, 06:40:21 am »
Both links are dead (taken down yesterday it seems), any chance of a re-upload? Thank you.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 14, 2020, 09:30:50 am »
I went to try it out today and found out the links are dead. What happened?