News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X4 & Mega Man 8 Undub [MM8 (v03) / MMX4 (v08)]  (Read 11521 times)

bukopandan

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X4 - Undub (v05)
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2018, 10:31:13 pm »
Yes, I'm using the latest patch which is (v05), and I'm not using savestates while playing the game, I created a save file before that point I mentioned, rebooted the game and it still frozed at the "Now Loading" Screen, then I booted up the unpatched clean ROM and surprisingly, I got past that point after loading the save file, it seems something on the patch must have affected that portion of the game. I'll make a full play run on X's route and see if there are any other crash points, I'll report back if I notice anything unusual.
My Youtube Channel where I demonstrate my mad video gaming skills. Kekekek!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGPnfU4q12x6vEWXv4Ftq8Q/videos

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2018, 11:42:22 pm »
Thank you!

I tried it myself and had the same problem. I fixed it now with a new version (2 files within the disc were broken, maybe a fluke of the scripts I made...). I also adjusted the subtitles as you suggested.

Please do test the rest of the game!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 03:04:21 am by acediez »

bukopandan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2018, 12:22:45 am »
currently playing using an emulator since it's much faster playing the whole game with it's frameskip features (can play a whole route under 30 minutes), then play it on a real hardware once the patch is at least near perfect. if you need the memory card save file where the freeze bug occurred while using the patch, just tell me and I'll send it to you.

acediez

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X4 - Undub (v06)
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2018, 10:02:18 am »
Ok, thanks!. I edited my last post by the way (can’t double post so it probably went unnoticed). There’s a new patch up, I think the problem is solved.

bukopandan

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X4 - Undub (v06)
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2018, 12:02:45 pm »
Ok, thanks!. I edited my last post by the way (can’t double post so it probably went unnoticed). There’s a new patch up, I think the problem is solved.

Hello again, after playing both routes using the (v06) patch version, here are my findings

1. After the movie sequence of Double revealing his true form plays, the emulator suddenly stops and shows the dreaded Opcode 13 UNK (PC 0001005c) (6942,127) error. This error is not present on the previous version of the patch. As usual, I tried the unpatched clean ROM thinking that it could be a bad dump but I got past that segment without any problems, My guess is that this error appeared after you fixed that "Now Loading" screen freeze bug in Zero's route I mentioned before (it also happens on the Final Weapon 1 although in X's route).

2. There's a line not translated in Sigma and Zero's duel FMV, sigma said "kuso" (damn), additionally there are a few lines in the translation that needs to be revised. (a total of five lines)

The 5 Lines That Needs To Be Corrected

- Let's Build It Together! And Ideal Country where we will not be harmed by anyone!
   (Suggestion: Let's Build It Together! An Ideal Country where we will not be harmed by anyone!)

- Requesting response from captain X - (Suggestion: Captain X please respond)

- However we will not let ourselves have such a dishonour put onto ourselves
   ( I don't know man I can't make a suggestion, but using the word ourselves twice doesn't sound quite right)

- Bring the red reploid the the repair centre
   (Suggestion: Bring the red reploid to the repair center)

- In the second FMV where Sigma said "where are you going" it should be "Maverick Hunters What will you do" (Dousuru)

3. Some of the Colonel's, General's and Sigma's speech before their respective boss fights suddenly cuts off, (their life bar suddenly fills up without finishing speaking up their vocal lines) this is just my opinion, but it could be related to the timing of the japanese voice track not synchronized to the timing of the english ROM. Additionally, Sigma's second form or the General still has some english voice track left in the game while using the patch.

4. Does the song at the end of the game suddenly cuts off and produces a crack sound like that? it hurt my eardrums, As I recall in the Japanese version, the ending music should be slightly fading away until the music stops playing.

Once all of these are resolved, Everything should be perfect.   
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 09:39:27 am by bukopandan »

acediez

• View Profile
Re: [Undub] Mega Man 8 (v01) / Mega Man X4 (v06)
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2018, 12:52:30 am »
Thanks again!
I think I know what caused the new issue after Double. I'm gonna need to test that myself though. Do you have a memory card file with X's route after the 8 Mavericks are beaten? I already have save files for Zero on every stage, so those I can test pretty easily.

Also, thanks for the suggestion on the subtitles. I think all of those are taken straight from Hondoori's translation. Since it was made to be as literal as possible, some lines don't sound very natural. I did edit a lot of them myself but I guess I missed some weird lines here and there.

By the way, I just added a Mega Man 8 undub patch on the first post.

bukopandan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2018, 02:12:49 am »
Thanks again!
I think I know what caused the new issue after Double. I'm gonna need to test that myself though. Do you have a memory card file with X's route after the 8 Mavericks are beaten? I already have save files for Zero on every stage, so those I can test pretty easily.

Also, thanks for the suggestion on the subtitles. I think all of those are taken straight from Hondoori's translation. Since it was made to be as literal as possible, some lines don't sound very natural. I did edit a lot of them myself but I guess I missed some weird lines here and there.

By the way, I just added a Mega Man 8 undub patch on the first post.

Here's the memory card file for Megaman X4 before the Double transformation movie playback.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R__uyzFkFSIWsy4wasVEfPZBcRgafyHn/view?usp=sharing

I'll also take a look at the Megaman 8 patch and help out with the tests when I have some free time, Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 09:49:12 am by bukopandan »

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2018, 09:39:51 am »
Ok, I'm gonna address both this issue after Double and some subtitle changes on the next patch. Hopefully these are the last few things to iron out before I release the patch on the site.

You're on the credits now, you've been very helpful!

bukopandan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2018, 10:00:32 am »
Ok, I'm gonna address both this issue after Double and some subtitle changes on the next patch. Hopefully these are the last few things to iron out before I release the patch on the site.

You're on the credits now, you've been very helpful!

Don't sweat it dude, this is also one of my favorite projects so far, I've been hoping for a long time that one day that Megaman X4 would have at least an unofficial undub version, and you made my dream a reality, can't stand the english voices on this one and they also removed the opening and ending songs which is unacceptable. So thank you for doing this, it's been a pleasure working with you.

Update: Megaman 8 Testing

- There's an error found before the boss fight in the third part of Wily's Castle, the game just stops preventing progress and shows an error message - Opcode 3b UNK (PC 00010040) (309646,175), other than that, no more problems so far, the hard encoded video subtitles has no grammatical and spelling errors up to that point, thumbs up for that. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 01:05:55 pm by bukopandan »

G061

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2018, 09:24:56 pm »
Thank you SO much for this, these games are now playable without the horrendous annoyance of those old garbage dubs. They're finally free!
I'm in the middle of MMX4 playthrough and am loving it.
Trying MM8 and it hit me, since you're doing potential alternative versions, is it possible to put in the (superior) saturn version of Tenguman's stage theme? I'd personally love that and I'm sure others would too.

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2018, 10:49:31 pm »
Trying MM8 and it hit me, since you're doing potential alternative versions, is it possible to put in the (superior) saturn version of Tenguman's stage theme?
Both the Saturn and Playstation versions use sequenced music, but the storage format is not the same. You'd have to be able to convert between the different formats for that to work, and I don't know how possible that would be (people have made tools to extract the audio, but I don't know about converting back).

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2018, 01:31:57 am »
Ok, I went through X4's issues. Gonna leave 8 until next time.

Fixed as of v07

Additionally there are a few lines in the translation that needs to be revised. (a total of five lines)

Man I sure was sleepy when I transcribed those... Fixed now, plus a couple more.

1. After the movie sequence of Double revealing his true form plays, the emulator suddenly stops and shows the dreaded Opcode 13 UNK (PC 0001005c) (6942,127) error. This error is not present on the previous version of the patch. As usual, I tried the unpatched clean ROM thinking that it could be a bad dump but I got past that segment without any problems, My guess is that this error appeared after you fixed that "Now Loading" screen freeze bug in Zero's route I mentioned before (it also happens on the Final Weapon 1 although in X's route).

Fixed! At least it worked just now when I tried.

Additionally, Sigma's second form or the General still has some english voice track left in the game while using the patch.

What do you mean Sigma OR General? Did you find this on the disc file or during gameplay?

I fought both General and Sigma using Zero and didn't find any english voice clip (then again, I probably didn't trigger ALL their attacks...)
I think it's because I missed a couple of files on v06 (some I reverted to the original version while testing for the previous bugfix and forgot to replace back... It's probably what caused the freeze after the Double FMV too). Should be fine now.

Pending as of v07

3. Some of the Colonel's, General's and Sigma's speech before their respective boss fights suddenly cuts off, (their life bar suddenly fills up without finishing speaking up their vocal lines) this is just my opinion, but it could be related to the timing of the japanese voice track not synchronized to the timing of the english ROM.

I was waiting for someone to mention this. I warned about it one about the guy who did the spanish undub.
You're probably right, there must be a pointers somewhere in there indicating how long to wait for the XA to play. I'm not quite sure how to fix it at the moment...

4. Does the song at the end of the game suddenly cuts off and produces a crack sound like that? it hurt my eardrums, As I recall in the Japanese version, the ending music should be slightly fading away until the music stops playing.
I tested it on Retroarch Beetle PSX, I didn't get any crackling or anything weird, but it did stop before it should
Yes, it should be a clean fade out. You can hear it just fine when playing the XA file itself.
There’s definitely a pointer with its duration that needs to be corrected

Now here's a curiosity: the file that contains the level data (and sounds) for Final Weapon 2-1/Zero's route, has a voice clip for Iris I haven't been able to reproduce in-game, neither I found it on gameplay videos of the japanese version. I think it says "sayonara, Zero". The file is identical in USA and JAP versions, so maybe it was cut in both. It was probably replaced by the XA tracks that play before the battle.

May 10, 2018, 01:45:02 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Thank you SO much for this, these games are now playable without the horrendous annoyance of those old garbage dubs. They're finally free!
I'm in the middle of MMX4 playthrough and am loving it.
Trying MM8 and it hit me, since you're doing potential alternative versions, is it possible to put in the (superior) saturn version of Tenguman's stage theme? I'd personally love that and I'm sure others would too.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! Please keep up with the updates and report for any issue you encounter that hasn't been reported.

As for your MM8 suggestion, I think it's a great idea for an alternate patch, but as DarkSamus993 noted, making it will depend entirely on the existance of tools to convert from one format to the other.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 02:55:30 am by acediez »

bukopandan

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2018, 02:22:18 am »

What do you mean Sigma OR General? Did you find this on the disc file or during gameplay?

I fought both General and Sigma using Zero and didn't find any english voice clip (then again, I probably didn't trigger ALL their attacks...)
I think it's because I missed a couple of files on v06 (some I reverted to the original version during when testing for the previous bugfix and forgot to replace back... It's probably what caused the freeze after the Double FMV too). Should be fine now.

Pending as of v07

I was waiting for someone to mention this. I warned about it one about the guy who did the spanish undub.
You're probably right, there must be a pointers somewhere in there indicating how long to wait for the XA to play. I'm not quite sure how to fix it at the moment...
I tested it on Retroarch Beetle PSX, I didn't get any crackling or anything weird, but it did stop before it should
Yes, it should be a clean fade out. You can hear it just fine when playing the XA file itself.
But I did get a problem: it stopped cut before it should, just when it was starting to fade out (definitely a pointer with its duration that needs to be corrected)

Sorry about the little confusion, I found the english voice track left in the game
it's Sigma's voice after you defeat his first form, he's still saying Ready for Round 2?

As for the cracking sound at the ending credits, I just changed the sound plugin I normally use
with a different one, but the song really does cut off at the end instead of fading out. Hopefully this will be resolved in future patch revisions.

Scratch what I've said on the first paragraph, I made a huge mistake while testing the patch since v06,
all voices are clearly in Japanese, it's just while I'm testing the patch during the General and Sigma boss battles, I've loaded the savestate of the clean unpatched Rom to the undub patched Rom so the voice tracks of the clean rom are carried over to the patched one while playing the game.:banghead:

Anyway, congrats on the v07 release.   
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 04:20:53 am by bukopandan »

acediez

• View Profile
Re: [Undub] Mega Man 8 (v01) / Mega Man X4 (v07)
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2018, 08:42:51 am »
 :laugh: those things do happen...

Still, it's entirely possible some english voiced did sneak back in in v06 because of the replaced files I mentioned
Anyway, there's one little mistake I forgot to address on this one (I forgot to add the missing "damn" on the Zero vs. Sigma FMV :laugh:). I'm gonna keep it on hold for now in case something else comes up. If nothing else, I'm just gonna make a "final for now" v08 patch just with that.

As for Mega Man 8, I checked the freeze before the boss battle on Wily 3. It's definitely there. Rebuilt the disc image, and still got it. I don't know what's causing it. I'm gonna have to identify which file(s) are loaded at this point exactly and look for any difference. Maybe it's one of the few files that are of different size between the two versions, but the TOC addresses seem to be correctly replaced.
There's no edited files in this game (contrary to X4 where I knew exactly which files were modified and could potentially be problematic). Every file was replaced and re-addressed the same way, so it's weird to me that this specific boss battles freezes and nothing else in the game.

I'm looking forward to having these two projects in a completely playable state, so I can move to a small tweak I plan to make on X6, for which I'm gonna need to get familiar with some more advance debugging and address-tracking that will hopefully be useful to fix the remaining issues in X4!

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2018, 09:01:53 am »
I'll look into the XA audio cutoff issues. There's probably some counter that gets set to make the game wait and the values were changed since the timing is different.

Put ALL the japense audio clips, even if they don't match with localization:
Ok, I gave it a try, and realized it involves more work than it seems:
1) Title screen audio track (saying Rockman instead of Mega Man): the japanese track is longer, because it's made to match an animation the american version doesn't have. If I simply replace the audio file, it stops before it should. There's a pointer somewhere that needs to be changed.
2) Maverick introductions when selecting a stage: these can be replaced directly with no problems.
3) Weapon Get voice clips: these are played on a different pitch if I just replace them, and sound hilariously bad. I woulnd't even know where to begin to fix this.
I can look into #1 and #3 while I'm at if you want.

bukopandan

• View Profile
Re: [Undub] Mega Man 8 (v01) / Mega Man X4 (v07)
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2018, 09:28:11 am »
:laugh: those things do happen...

Still, it's entirely possible some english voiced did sneak back in in v06 because of the replaced files I mentioned
Anyway, there's one little mistake I forgot to address on this one (I forgot to add the missing "damn" on the Zero vs. Sigma FMV :laugh:). I'm gonna keep it on hold for now in case something else comes up. If nothing else, I'm just gonna make a "final for now" v08 patch just with that.

As for Mega Man 8, I checked the freeze before the boss battle on Wily 3. It's definitely there. Rebuilt the disc image, and still got it. I don't know what's causing it. I'm gonna have to identify which file(s) are loaded at this point exactly and look for any difference. Maybe it's one of the few files that are of different size between the two versions, but the TOC addresses seem to be correctly replaced.
There's no edited files in this game (contrary to X4 where I knew exactly which files were modified and could potentially be problematic). Every file was replaced and re-addressed the same way, so it's weird to me that this specific boss battles freezes and nothing else in the game.

I'm looking forward to having these two projects in a completely playable state, so I can move to a small tweak I plan to make on X6, for which I'm gonna need to get familiar with some more advance debugging and address-tracking that will hopefully be useful to fix the remaining issues in X4!

I agree that the subtitle fixing should be put on hold for the time being as I'm also looking for some remaining missed typos, (currently playing for a 3rd run for both X and Zero)

I found one more in X's ending Movie
- If I become "an" Maverick (should be - If I become a Maverick)

And the "Damn" in the Sigma vs Zero FMV should be "Damn You" representing Sigma's frustration during the fight.

That's all for now for the subtitles, wish someone could also help read the subtitles for corrections  before releasing a new patch version with subtitle fixes to save time.

And strangely, the last time I mistakenly loaded the save state of the clean rom to the patched rom while using the v06 version, it was loaded in the middle of the match before Sigma said his Second Form speech in English, then the voice returned to Japanese on his final form. Strange, but oh well, at least it's fixed now.:laugh:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 09:34:08 am by bukopandan »

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2018, 09:35:37 am »
I'll look into the XA audio cutoff issues. There's probably some counter that gets set to make the game wait and the values were changed since the timing is different.

Man, you're making things a lot easier for me! Thank you!  :woot!:

I can look into #1 and #3 while I'm at if you want.

These I consider pretty much optional, as I'm considering them for a variant and not the main release, but if you do get this far:

#1:
I'd fix this by editing the audio file itself (to replace the title voice but keep the english version's timming), otherwise, even if the cutoff is fixed, it'd still sound weird because of the extra sound effects at the start. Assuming this tool works as intended (haven't tried yet), this is something I could do on my own.
So if you're gonna look into this issue in particular, maybe you could try restoring the whole intro screen, animation included, from the japanese version. I tried it once by replacing files I assumed were responsible, but I couldn't make it work...

- If I become "an" Maverick (should be - If I become a Maverick)

See? I knew something would come up  :laugh:
That one "an" was left behind from when I changed "an Irregular" into "Maverick". I should really double-check these things in the morning and not at 3 AM...
Anyway, thanks again for (triple) checking!

May 13, 2018, 12:03:37 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
An update on Mega Man 8:

The game should now be playable all the way through. The only thing missing is the music track on the ending credits. Current version plays it completely silent. I'm still trying to figure out this one.

This means both games, in their current version, should be completely playable, with few issues remaining that won't affect the majority of the playthrough (the cutoff on certain voices and ending song in MMX4, the ending song in MM8).

There's not much I can do about the remaining issues with my current skillset, so I'm gonna spend my time from now on getting familiar with no$psx debugging tools and a bit of assembly.

In the meantime, any further testing of the current versions would still be appreciated, even if it's just to confirm everything else is working.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 12:20:07 pm by acediez »

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
Re: [Undub] Mega Man 8 (v02) / Mega Man X4 (v07)
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2018, 02:14:27 pm »
Welp, almost done with X3 (with the excellent Playable Zero patch). I'll likely start playing this hack today. Anything specific I need to keep track of?

acediez

• View Profile
Re: [Undub] Mega Man 8 (v02) / Mega Man X4 (v07)
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2018, 02:45:44 pm »
Nothing in particular. Besides the few (arguably minor) known issues already commented on the last few posts, the current version should be fine for a normal playthrough.

Just play it, enjoy it, and if anything seems weird, report it.

May 19, 2018, 02:46:08 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Goods news! I asked mkpsxiso's author about the problem I had with the music track on Mega Man 8, and he immediately added support for such audio tracks  :woot!:

Now the Mega Man 8 undub is complete, and should be bug-free!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 01:25:52 pm by acediez »

mariosmentor

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X4 & Mega Man 8 Undub [MM8 (v03) / MMX4 (v08)]
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2018, 01:04:51 pm »
As much as I appreciate the effort you're putting into these, I'm just not a big fan of undubs. You seem to know a bit about the voice samples in those games and where they go, so maybe when you're done, we could work on a REdub? I can provide all the voices, and my singing isn't outright horrendous, and it would give the fans an option between Japanese voices or better English voices. Let me know what you think.