News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario Kart DX [WIP] (Images & videos available)  (Read 8934 times)

NiO

• Let's bring order to chaos
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/retrogamersmx/
Re: Super Mario Kart DX [WIP] (Images & videos available)
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2020, 08:36:30 am »
at 6:17 characters in the map get glitchy, dont know if you can replicate that problem and can see what happened, but I wanted to let you know.

robg1979

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2020, 07:26:59 am »
Had a dream about this hack last night and you'd called it Ultra Mario Kart. Or was it Mario Kart Ultra??

Comes to something when you're dreaming about Mario Kart Hacks. I need to play something else I think!!  :laugh:

gridatttack

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2020, 12:50:15 am »
So I sort of forgot about this thread. Woops! Been using discord to post small updates.

Anyways, I pretty much finished the new Rainbow Road BG. here, have some pics (the first pic has the HUD disabled in order to see better, but it exposes the 3 pixels that are hidden by the black bar, so see second picture on how it looks ingame)

This is a solar eclipse occurring!

Also added some planets

I also changed Koopa beach sand to a pearl white sand in the sunset, for a more luxurious resort feel.

at 6:17 characters in the map get glitchy, dont know if you can replicate that problem and can see what happened, but I wanted to let you know.

Not sure about that. I bet it's ZSNES glitching out, like it does when racers are close to the top and their sprites don't update position.

Had a dream about this hack last night and you'd called it Ultra Mario Kart. Or was it Mario Kart Ultra??

Comes to something when you're dreaming about Mario Kart Hacks. I need to play something else I think!!  :laugh:
haha, I have ultra as a potential keyword too! Maybe. However I want to leave the title screen in the end so I can make it quickly since I've seen many new, random SMK hacks taking up all the keywords :/

MKDSmaster91

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2020, 12:37:43 am »
Both Rainbow Road and the Evening Isles look amazing!

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2020, 11:24:54 pm »
This looks beautiful. I can tell you have put a lot of heart into the project.

I like how many of the tracks have an evening theme. It complements the sunny style of the original.

My siblings and I probably spent more time playing SMK late into the night than any other game, so it's special to me. This looks like a wonderful sequel.

One thing the N64 version improved is that question marks regenerate after just a few seconds. If I recall, they only regenerate in SMK once the last one has been picked up. There were some long, boring battle sequences as we scrambled to find that last prize. It probably applies in GP mode as well. I would humbly ask you to consider adding this feature.

Edit: And about 5-10 seconds of invincibility after getting hit with a shell in battle mode would be great. It is easy and cheap to "target that explosion and fire," as we always used to say.

Looking forward to playing this!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 11:47:57 pm by PolishedTurd »

gridatttack

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2020, 12:14:53 am »
So, I've been putting work into the Mario Circuit tracks and all of them have been marked as final. I noted that I didn't use some overlay tiles, such a certain item box and zippers directions, so I decided to add more to the tileset. Here are some picture on how it turned out, taken in BSNES mode 7 HD at 960p for your viewing pleasure:

Here is how it looks on the normal resolution, which helps blend the different grass patches and to not look exactly the same tile all over the place:

My main focus will be finishing the entire mario circuit new background. I have an idea on what I exactly want to add, so I'll focus into wrapping up this theme :)

Also, let's have a first look here on my new battle track 1:

I redid the original one because it doesn't really work in this game. The main gimmick in this one is the small size, like the original map of the first game, with some zippers on the edges for faster movement!

This looks beautiful. I can tell you have put a lot of heart into the project.

I like how many of the tracks have an evening theme. It complements the sunny style of the original.

My siblings and I probably spent more time playing SMK late into the night than any other game, so it's special to me. This looks like a wonderful sequel.

One thing the N64 version improved is that question marks regenerate after just a few seconds. If I recall, they only regenerate in SMK once the last one has been picked up. There were some long, boring battle sequences as we scrambled to find that last prize. It probably applies in GP mode as well. I would humbly ask you to consider adding this feature.

Edit: And about 5-10 seconds of invincibility after getting hit with a shell in battle mode would be great. It is easy and cheap to "target that explosion and fire," as we always used to say.

Looking forward to playing this!

Nice to hear! :D And yes, I felt the original was too... bright. I didn't really thought it at first, as my goal was to try to provide unique themes (such as the rice paddies) 🤔

Thanks for the feedback on that. I've been actually looking into that subject. There's still so much unknown about how the game works, so maybe such things are not possible (for now) However, we do have some really awesome users who are taking a look into how the game works, so who knows (I think the shell invincibility is the least possible thing though)

While the whole item boxes regenerating, it may be possible to modify the behavior so they refill more quickly, however, for most of my battle tracks, I've added extra item boxes from the base game of 41 per track. Granted, these don't refill since they are laid on the track itself (but I have placed the ones that do refill evenly) so running out of items should be harder now. Same with GP. I've made sure to add at least 12 item boxes on the main section so it's fine to grab some items even in 2P modes. I also added a second section of items in certain stages (spared evenly between the first section) so it feels more in line with modern games. (I think 2 sections is the max for it to work properly. Adding more would mean despawning the existing items and it might be that the item you left on a section before might not be there on the next lap anymore)

Though, I have to admit that I'm a bit hesitant to change core functionality (like never ending item boxes on GP or more sections) since it seems there is a fine line between the games mode balancing. I've been having feedback from the awesome people at Europe who play the game at top level and explained me a bit on how the modes work at top level competition. Turns out modifying more items or infinite item boxes would make the Match Race mode really unbalanced for both players, and in GP, if we decide to go the traditional route of leaving just a row instead of a cluster, this would limit item box placement to zones where players aren't jumping for drifting, since you would pass over the item box (however, this would be a different story if the item boxes were objects like in the GBA version, but hardware limitations prevent that being a reality, due to sprite limits)

In the end of the day, I'll aim for a middle ground between the two ends :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 12:20:06 am by gridatttack »

gridatttack

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2020, 02:32:41 pm »
So, I finally went around a finished the new Mario Circuit theme.

For now, it's named Alpine Pass. Have a video to look at the first track of the game:

Alpine Pass 1

(Note, I'm aware the same track theme is used on MK7 Europe version, but this is NTSC, which was named rock rock mountain ;P)

I also started making the new BG for the beach theme. It's still far from done, but here is a volcano on the far distance:

MKDSmaster91

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2020, 05:27:38 pm »
Very nice beach track and background!

Ashley Alexander

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Kart DX
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2020, 09:32:36 pm »
Really like how it’s looking so far, love the graphics and colours and track designs, can’t wait to play the whole game.  :laugh: ;D :) :woot!: :angel:

gridatttack

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2020, 03:19:32 am »
Alright, so big milestone reached! I just finished making the last custom BG for evening Isles. Have a look, fresh out of the oven:

Just need to tile and decorate the front and back BGs and we're done! Regarding BGs, some are still touched up a bit, as some I'm not sure about their final skybox color, like Jungle Ruins and Rice terrace, but the heavy work of custom graphics is done!

Very nice beach track and background!
Really like how it’s looking so far, love the graphics and colours and track designs, can’t wait to play the whole game.  :laugh: ;D :) :woot!: :angel:

Thanks! 😃 I estimate the hack is... ~60% completed. I need to make a new track since an old design didn't work, and the sunrise ridge tracks require the most changes as of now to make then more playable. Pretty much the only hard things left to do is change the title screen, menu, driver select and podium backgrounds. And sprites for road objects too.

I still need to revise each tileset for tracks to see if I can add some decorations to the tracks, especially the beach one since it's the most barren, so each track feels more decorated and not too empty, as well as make use of the available space

gridatttack

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2020, 08:42:13 pm »
Alright, so, forgot to put it here too. I'm formally announcing that I'm teaming up with SMK pro player Cocatriz! He's been testing my tracks so they are fixed to the finest detail! In return, I'll help him with his SMK 20XX hack by adding new backgrounds!

You can watch both of our trailers here:

Hack Trailer (click to view on YT!)

Supergamerguy

• Retro game fanatic; loves platformers, hates jrpgs
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2020, 09:11:33 pm »
You can watch both of our trailers here:

Hack Trailer (click to view on YT!)

Literally cannot express in words how awesome this is. The geisler has the Mega Man 3 Title screen music, the best Mega Man music track of all time mind you. The hack has awesome looking battle tracks with beautiful new layouts and new racing tracks that look hard, but fun. At there is CUSTOM EUROBEAT MUSIC, WELCOMING ME TO THE DISCO OF THE NIGHT!!!!!  :thumbsup:

I will be watching your career with great interest, my friend.  :laugh:
Dah-nuh-nuh-nah! Super fighting robot! Dah-nuh-nah-nah! MEGA MAN! Fighting.......to save.......the world!!!!!