News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Help with newest NES Sonic The Hedgehog patch  (Read 1737 times)

firedropdl

• View Profile
Help with newest NES Sonic The Hedgehog patch
« on: April 20, 2018, 10:48:05 pm »
Would somebody be able to download this patch and re-upload it somewhere for me?

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3770/

Both the author FuriousHedgehog and the moderator Zynk have told me that this patch is downloadable and the archive can be opened in WinRAR.  I've been trying to download this for days and I get a message in WinRAR that says that it is an unknown format or it is damaged.  I've used two different computers and I've tried to download it in both Firefox and Edge and still have this problem.

I've downloaded 6 or 7 hundred patches here without any issues before, so I don't know what's going on here.

Thanks!!!

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
Re: Help with newest NES Sonic The Hedgehog patch
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 11:21:20 pm »
Try using 7-Zip instead. I tried downloading it just now and it worked like a charm.

firedropdl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 11:44:28 pm »
Wow... That's strange.  It does in fact open up and I can extract it in 7zip.

Is it really a "RAR" archive?  I have a licensed version of WinRAR and I've used it to open thousands of archives over the years.  This is the only one I've ever tried opening that wasn't bad that errored out on me.  I've been opening dozens of other archives over the last few days without any issues as well.

Weird...

Thanks Midna  ;)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 11:50:13 pm »
Strange, I couldn't get it to open in 7-Zip either. Version 9.20 for Windows, to be precise – which is hugely outdated.  But it worked fine in IZArc 4.3.  The included version of unrar.dll is 5.11.1.1315, dated August 2014.

EDIT: After updating to 18.01, it still gives an error message when I try to open the archive from Windows Explorer, but it works fine from the 7-Zip File Manager.  Odd.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 11:55:49 pm by Jorpho »
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

firedropdl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 12:34:34 am »
I'm scared that I finally got it open now.

This whole thing is how Nintendo Creepypastas start.   :-\

Masaru

• Inserte cualquier mierda aqui, espero saber traduc
    • View Profile
    • Mi pagina de G+
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 10:18:42 am »
I downloaded the patch but i don´t know your problem, maybe the internet connection was the problem?

firedropdl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 10:28:04 am »
Nah.  I've rebooted my PC several times in between grabbing this download, and I've downloaded and extracted dozens, maybe even over 100 other patches during that time as well. 

The only way I was able to open it was with 7Zip.  WinRAR and WinZIP would not open it.

Looks like I'm not the only one with issues with this either.  Jorpho had weird issues with it as well.

My recommendation to staff is to request that FuriousHedgehog re-upload the patch because some people are going to have issues with it.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 01:16:49 pm »
My recommendation to staff is to request that FuriousHedgehog re-upload the patch because some people are going to have issues with it.

Or just download 7zip. I haven't used WinRAR or WinZip for about a decade. I figured everyone had moved over to 7zip by now. :)

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 02:52:14 pm »
Is it in RAR5 format, by any chance? That's another one of those new-ish "answering a question no one asked" formats that occasionally inconvenience me...

firedropdl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 03:58:04 pm »
WinRAR is a better program than 7zip.  It's got less overhead so it's a lot quicker on an older system like mine.  The context sensitive menus are a lot better for all the zipping that I do too.  Also, you can't play games that are in any format other than .ZIP, and torrentzip is the shit for that. 

I've always had 7zip, but I only ever use it if somebody zips something in 7zip format.  7zip is essentially using a sledgehammer for a job that requires a tack hammer.  It's a big ole pain in the arse.

Thankfully, it was able to open this file when nothing else would. 

Honestly, I think either it should be re-uploaded in a normal format, or somebody should put a notation on the page saying that you probably need 7zip to open it.  Since it's a minor hassle either way, I suggest just uploading it in one of the standard RAR or ZIP formats that people have been using for decades.  I don't think this is an outrageous request.

I'm done worrying about it.  I got it open.  I'm just thinking about other people.

RexDart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 09:36:38 pm »
WinRAR is a better program than 7zip. 

How so, if it can't open a RAR?  It's 2018, get 7zip already.

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 11:28:25 pm »
Is it in RAR5 format, by any chance? That's another one of those new-ish "answering a question no one asked" formats that occasionally inconvenience me...

Just to confirm the above, the file is indeed in RAR5 format, which is frankly totally unnecessary for such a small file.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 03:02:39 am »
And just for my last word on the issue: 7zip is certainly worth using, but archiving a patch in anything other than regular old Zip is stupid. So I agree that the patch is in the wrong archive format. :)

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart: Terwilf
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 11:29:19 pm »
 Hello first, I recommend that you use Bandizip you will avoid many headaches, it is also free and compatible with both "7Zip LZMA2" and "RAR5" among others.

I also wanted to share the last project I am working on, it is a complete update of Sonic de Nes that also incorporate many of the improvements introduced by FuriousHedgehog, has a lot of new changes in addition to correcting some bugs.

SonicNES -Improvement Project

REMOVED. Please don't link to ROMs. (Oky :angel:)

ROM:  Sonic The Hedgehog (Improvement + Music) (Unl) [!]
MD5:  8e2005d84012174e4bb75d004e2deed1
SHA1: 33fcd33cf1f2c69a547f026ff768fdb142a91f0b

My little gift for your dedication :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 01:38:22 pm by sics »

firedropdl

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2018, 11:47:06 pm »

How so, if it can't open a RAR?  It's 2018, get 7zip already.

As I stated above, I have both installed.  I hate using 7zip.  It's an inferior product.  I only use it when absolutely necessary, like when somebody uploads a patch to romhacking incorrectly.  The whole 1 time out of a thousand that this has happened so far.  Hence the purpose of this thread.  I don't care if it's 2050.  I'm still going to use WinRAR if the other products aren't as good.

Just to confirm the above, the file is indeed in RAR5 format, which is frankly totally unnecessary for such a small file.

Thank you goldenband.  Good to see ya.  Been a while.

And just for my last word on the issue: 7zip is certainly worth using, but archiving a patch in anything other than regular old Zip is stupid. So I agree that the patch is in the wrong archive format. :)

Not to me it isn't.  Until this RAR5 instance occurred, the only time I ever used 7zip is to open files other people archived in 7zip.  It's the only reason I even have the program installed.  I do hope this RAR5 doesn't start becoming popular since it uses the same extension and looks on the surface to be just a RAR file.

I would say that 9 times out of 10 the patches here are zip files, at least from my experience.  About 10% of them are RAR files.  I was just surprised to find a RAR file that WinRAR wouldn't open.  I used to think it really didn't matter which one you used, but now this changes things a bit.

Hello first, I recommend that you use Bandizip you will avoid many headaches, it is also free and compatible with both "7Zip LZMA2" and "RAR5" among others.

I also wanted to share the last project I am working on, it is a complete update of Sonic de Nes that also incorporate many of the improvements introduced by FuriousHedgehog, has a lot of new changes in addition to correcting some bugs.

SonicNES -Improvement Project

(link removed)

My little gift for your dedication :thumbsup:

Wow.  Nice man.  I've got it downloaded.  I should be able to patch it sometime late next week at the latest. 

Is this a work in progress?  Are you looking for some feedback? DO you have a thread where you're talking about it already?

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 02:00:32 pm by KingMike »

ShadyRounds

• Apathetic, yet Helpful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2018, 12:40:57 pm »
I too am interested, but wonder why no thread. EDIT: Oh, it's offsite and based on another fully build port of a game. That does make sense, I'll make sure to test them both out in that case!
Apathetic, yet Helpful. :beer:
Project: Megaman Legends Remix

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2018, 09:08:10 pm »
 At this point it could be considered a complete hack, but I would say that it is in progress, my project is too ambitious, on the other hand I did not plan to open any thread, but surely I will open some in the future to ask for help with the issues I can not handle, although at the moment I have control over almost everything important to edit the game

Look what beautiful thing :laugh:

firedropdl

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2018, 09:12:51 am »
Nice man.  I'll give it a shot and give you some feedback when I get a chance hopefully sometime late this week.   :thumbsup:

May 03, 2018, 07:08:46 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Hey Sics.  I just noticed that you're the one that made the 3rd Sonic patch for this game.  :)

I also noticed that you said to use only a rom patched with the first two patches and not your third one when using the new patch.  Is everything from your 3rd patch included in this one then?

I'm wondering what your patch does different this time around.  It's hard for me to tell since I still haven't beaten the first level.

Here's a breakdown of the roms when patched and what their starting and ending CRC values are.

1. ORIGINAL ROM:
Somari (Unl) [p1].nes
CRC32: BC979CAB

2. PATCHED WITH Jabu's Sonic The Hedgehog (NES) Improvement V1.0: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3208/
PRE-PATCH CRC32: BC979CAB
AFTER PATCH CRC32: B9353974

3. PATCHED WITH Jabu's patch and then with Ti's Music Improvement: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3223/
PRE-PATCH CRC32: B9353974
AFTER PATCH CRC32: 54BE4BB7
[This is the same result as the removed rom link you posted]

Here's where things branch off a bit...

4. PATCED WITH First two patches, then Your Graphics Improvement: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3224/
PRE-PATCH CRC32: 54BE4BB7
AFTER PATCH CRC32: A38ECEEB

5. PATCHED WITH First two patches, your Graphics patch, then Furious Hedgehog's Patch: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3770/
PRE-PATCH CRC32: A38ECEEB
AFTER PATCH CRC32: 07B5793A

OR...

4A. PATCHED WITH First two patches, then with the patch you put on this page:
PRE-PATCH CRC32: 54BE4BB7
AFTER PATCH CRC32: 32D34C97

OR...

I just went ahead and patched it 5 times with all 5 patches.  1st - Jabu's Patch, 2nd - Ti's Patch, 3rd - Your listed patch, 4th - Furious Hedgehog's Patch, 5th - The patch you put in here.

All of these roms work, no matter how I patched them.  One thing I notice is that after putting your patch on after using Furious Hedgehog's patch, it reverts to showing 2017 on the title screen instead of 2018.  Other than that, I can't see any differences in the short time that I've played them. 

Could you let me know what I'm looking for that you've improved upon with the new patch you put in the thread for me so I can see what you've done.  :)

Thanks bud.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 07:08:46 pm by firedropdl »

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2018, 01:38:28 am »
 It is a little complicated to list all the differences that this hack contains, later I will open a thread dedicated to that, but for the moment to mention some I could say that:

■ Many errors are corrected in the levels, collisions and badly placed objects above all.
 ■ It updates several frames and animations (Sonic, Bosses, objects, enemies etc).
 ■ New graphics are incorporated recycling unused elements.
 ■ The pallets of the objects are replaced and exchanged, making more efficient use of them.

And that's just some things of the version that happens to you ...

Currently I advance a lot, but new possibilities are opening as I discover the game.

As an extra I show you a Mockup of the last level in which I am working, although still designing everything seems to indicate that it is possible to apply it :laugh:.

I can not say the same with the final Boss :D

firedropdl

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2018, 03:37:07 am »
Sweet man.  Thanks for the info.  I'm looking forward to seeing how this progresses.  Looks great so far!