News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: New Kaizo SMB3 (no title yet)  (Read 2054 times)

Chipius

• SMB3 player since I'm 4 years old
    • View Profile
New Kaizo SMB3 (no title yet)
« on: April 16, 2018, 12:38:11 pm »
Hey there, back to 2016, when I saw Mitch speedrunning Kaizo Mario Bros. 3 at the AGDQ, I immediately had the idea to make my own Kaizo-like SMB3 romhack, but never had the time to fully get into it. Now I can ;)

So, as Hunter W did so well in his KMB3, I'll try to be as creative as I can, while trying to keep the consistency and variety of the stock game level design. I'll also try to exploit all the obscure game tricks that have been discovered and improved by speedrunners. :)

Here are some screens of already finished levels

I'll also need talented SMB3 players to test the early versions of the levels, to let me know if I need to rethink the difficulty (especially RNG elements).

Hope you're up for the challenge. :)

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 01:17:27 am by Chipius »

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
Re: New Kaizo SMB3 (no title yet)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 04:13:43 pm »

From what I can remember, you can't mix certain enemies and objects together, that's why they glitch out like that.

Other than that, looks pretty gangsta... :D

bluecrush

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 12:03:56 am »
From what I can remember, you can't mix certain enemies and objects together, that's why they glitch out like that.

Yep, there are certain banks of enemies that will appear garbled when included with other banks of enemies. Under the "help" option in SMB3 Workshop, there's a page that documents which enemies work with others.

I don't think I've seen any SMB3 hacks include incompatible enemies in the same area without them glitching, so I assume that it's probably quite difficult to get around or else I would have seen it before.

Anyhow, I'm down for playtesting some levels when the time comes  ;)

AlanJacobs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 08:49:14 pm »
The only way you could possibly mix the enemies with no glitches is if the wired platform and hammer bros share the same graphics file, which they don't. You could fix that by using YY-CHR, importing platform graphics with hammer bros and pointing the enemy code to the correct tiles, but I find that completely unnecessary. Follow the enemy compatible chart and you'll be golden.

Perhaps you could get rid of the wire platform and have Mario jump on blocks between munchers while on autoscroll. It'll get rid of the glitch while keeping your idea somewhat intact.