News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Ninja Gaiden series (NES) Trilogy Upgrade: Graphics Pack for HDNES/Mesen  (Read 8508 times)

zelcanelas

• View Profile
How load this pack, there is no tutorial LOl. I'm trying on HDNES, but nothing works... Halp!

mkwong98

• View Profile
HDNes doesn't support all the new HD pack features introduced by Mesen, so please use Mesen to play this upgrade. I have stopped updating HDNes and now uses Mesen to play/create HD packs.

TimeCop

• View Profile
How load this pack, there is no tutorial LOl. I'm trying on HDNES, but nothing works... Halp!

1. Use Mesen. RetroArch version of Mesen also works.
2. Create "HDpacks" folder in system
3. Place unzipped folder in HDpacks folder.
4. Ensure game rom and folder have the same title.
5. Run game.

monstertruckpa

• View Profile
Really nice colours at this new remasterization for 80's ninja gaiden saga :thumbsup:  now if I'm willing to play it.

I would like that some of you can add an mod to improve the action button while the ninja jumps.. :banghead:

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
This looks fantastic. Considering Mesen plays Ninja Gaiden much better than Nestopia, it was an easy switch. I'd really like to see Ninja Gaiden III done to complete the trilogy.

mikepjr80

• View Profile
I wish the folks over at Retropie would make a freaking Core based on Mesen.. i'd love to play these on my CRT.

RichterSnipes

• View Profile
This looks fantastic. Considering Mesen plays Ninja Gaiden much better than Nestopia, it was an easy switch. I'd really like to see Ninja Gaiden III done to complete the trilogy.

Thanks! I'm hoping to get work done on at least one update for the 1st game to bring its cutscene fades up to the same standards as they are in II. Level loading palettes are a different beast altogether, though, as are game over palettes.

It'd take a lot more work to prepare a pack for for III than it has for the other two games in the trilogy. There's about 3x as many palette fades in stages as they're are in II, and they can occur anywhere in a level (unlike in the 1st game, where they only occur on stage transitions). The manner in which graphics fade is also more specific, as only one color in the graphics fades at a time. This isn't something that can be recreated strictly through definitions and conditionals in the hires.txt file. It'd require loads of extra graphical assets. Extensive work would also need to be done for the sprites on top of what was already done for the Trilogy version, as many sprites lack the amount of details that would be present in the sprites for the first two games. Ryu's sprites are a telltale sign of this.

I do understand the desire to have graphics packs for the whole trilogy, though. I just don't see it being likely from me as things are right now. The amount of work needed for it is daunting, and I don't particularly care for that game in the first place. I worked on the packs for the first two games over several months. So... yeah. Even if I started it tomorrow, it'd be a long time before I had anything substantial to show for it.