News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: DvD Translations Simultaneously Releases Two Translations  (Read 1594 times)

RHDNBot

  • Guest

Update By: DvD

3 years since their last release, DvD Translations has released two translations on the same day:

The first is historically significant as it is the last RPG Square made before Final Fantasy.  Although associated and credited with projects in the past, this is NintendoComplete's first major translation  with hacking by DvD and translation assistance by aishsha.  The game supports 3 separate fonts which are user selectable at any time in the game by simply pressing Up or Down while holding down the Select button.  Up independently cycles the menu fonts while Down cycles the body text fonts.  If you get tired of looking at one font, you can always pick a different one!

The latter is the second game in the TwinBee shooter series.  It was released in the US as Stinger, but Konami removed the simultaneous 3rd player support as there was no multi-tap available at the time for the NES. This translation restores that support by hacking the game to support the NES Satellite/4 Score along with a complete English title screen and explosion sprites, and the two missing screens of dialog which Konami removed.  All hacking was done by DvD with a translation by aishsha.

More information on both games can be found at https://dvdtranslations.eludevisibility.org.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 08:35:48 am by MathOnNapkins »

cccmar

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 210
    • View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
Cool to see these two projects completed, gotta give them a try soon! And, if I am not mistaken as to what project 12 on the site is, CHR ROM text data storage pain is imminent... that certain dev/publisher really liked to use that scheme in many of their games, not just that one.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 04:18:39 am by cccmar »

Griever_GF

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 19
    • View Profile
Cleopatra no Mahou is intriguing! ::)
Looks like adventure/RPG hybrid, like Tombs & Treasure.

KingMike

  • Forum Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6517
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
I think I know what that (12) is.

Good thing for the multiple font choices in Cleopatra. Sorry but that cursive font looks like it would be very difficult to read or hard on the eyes after awhile of reading.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Vercalos

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Something weird going on with the links here.  It works on the front page, but not when in the forum.

<EDIT>

OK!  They're fixed now!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 01:38:55 am by Vercalos »

DvD

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 66
    • View Profile
    • DvD Translations
Good thing for the multiple font choices in Cleopatra. Sorry but that cursive font looks like it would be very difficult to read or hard on the eyes after awhile of reading.

I totally understand.  Personally, my eyes don't have a problem with it, but I know having to use it would bother many people, especially those with visual impairments.  Still, I didn't want to just have a boring font in there because that would bother other people.  So, I wanted a way to make it so it had multiple font choices, to keep everyone happy.  Originally, I had an ancient Roman font in there too (when I thought the game took place at the time of Cleopatra) and that was really hard to read!  In fact, that was the reason I made it have 3 fonts (instead of 2), so there would be one easy to read one.  But, then I decided the whole reason I put the Roman font in the game did not actually apply, so I changed it to the upper case font.

When I play the game, I constantly change the two fonts around just for fun.  I guess, I usually use the Arabic font for the menus and one of the others for the body text.

Btw, before someone asks, the reason there is no mixed case font is that the DTE compression I chose to use (and to some degree the MTE compression) is designed to work with a mono-case font.

I think I know what that (12) is.

Yeah, I actually made some traction on this before I started working on TwinBee, but right now I'm kinda taking some time to actually play games.

April 14, 2018, 09:07:37 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
And, if I am not mistaken as to what project 12 on the site is, CHR ROM text data storage pain is imminent... that certain dev/publisher really liked to use that scheme in many of their games, not just that one.

Yeah, you got it.  But, really, finding it was the hard part. I don't really think this will hurt much with the insertion process.  Honestly, what make this a pain for me is the decisions I have to make.  The games before an after this one have been poorly translated and have only a mono case font.  I really want this game to match the look of the others, but to make it match means it needs to look uglier than it needs to.  Also, testing the game will be more of a pain for me then usual.

The only thing that I'm set on is the new name and title screen which have been done for years.

I have the script dumped, aishsha has translated a large portion of it, and when I've been working on the project, I've been formatting it for insertion.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 09:07:37 am by DvD »