General Category > Gaming Discussion

Current game squee: La-Mulana

(1/3) > >>

Disch:
So guys.

1. Take old-school Castlevania (specifically, CV2)
2. Throw in some metroid
3. Make it Indiana Jones themed
4. Take out the day/night nonsense
5. Instead of looking for Dracula's body parts, you're exploring ancient ruins searching for the origin of life.
6. Very cryptic puzzles a la Castlevania 2, only the clues actually make sense and the puzzles are solvable
7. No grinding

If you're interested (and you never heard of this game), it's called La-Mulana (specifically, the remake).  And it's fucking brilliant.

This game got introduced to me a few years back.  I tried it for a bit, didn't think much of it other than it was kind of cool, then put it down.  But I picked it up again about 2 weeks ago, got really into it, and now I can't put it down.  It's amazing.  I just had to share it on here.

Has anyone else played this game?  I haven't beaten it yet... I just got through the endless corridor and unlocked the Twin Labyrinths.

cccmar:
There are differences between the 2 versions, some pretty serious (like the way some bosses work, some riddles etc.) I couldn't put it down in either iteration, as the story is quite good and the soundtrack is really amazing (I liked it a bit more in the freeware version, I think - I sincerely recommend you to give it a listen). I've beaten them both a long, long time ago, but I still remember some locations quite vividly (especially the ones related to the Giants). Also, there's a sequel in the works!

Bregalad:
On which platform is this ?

Jorpho:
Should be on at least GOG and Steam.

I took a stab at the game long ago, before the remake was released, and it failed to grab me – it just wasn't clear at all where you were supposed to go.  But of course I'd like to try again someday.

Disch:
I didn't even link the trailer in my original post!  Shame on me:
https://youtu.be/okWHGsKpUYE

--- Quote from: Bregalad on April 11, 2018, 05:59:14 am ---On which platform is this ?

--- End quote ---

PC, Mac.  But I think there are also Wii and PS Vita ports.  Possibly some others.  Like Jorpho said you can get it on Gog/Steam

--- Quote from: cccmar on April 11, 2018, 03:25:52 am ---There are differences between the 2 versions, some pretty serious (like the way some bosses work, some riddles etc.)
--- End quote ---

Kind of like with Spelunky, I played the remake first, and it made the original seem like it wasn't worth it.  Maybe I'll try it again someday.

--- Quote from: Jorpho on April 11, 2018, 09:26:15 am ---it just wasn't clear at all where you were supposed to go.
--- End quote ---

Figuring out 'where to go' is sort of like Dark Souls -- you just start exhausting the possible paths until they hit a dead end and you figure out how to open up new paths.

And that's kind of the thing.  Everything is a riddle.  You have to read every sign, and scan every skeleton.  I'm straight up taking notes on like pen and paper.

The clues are there, they're just scattered around, and you have to piece them together and figure out wtf they mean.  I've been able to get as far as I am without looking anything up (except for one 'gotcha' in the Gate of Illusion that was really lame Spoiler: where you have to press down on some non-descript spot to drop into a secret room... I cheated to figure that out).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version