News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Want to start a Pony FF1 romhack, but I need palette help  (Read 3661 times)

Toastypk

• View Profile
Re: Want to start a Pony FF1 romhack, but I need palette help
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2018, 11:10:10 pm »
Progress report:
I had a big thing typed, but I changed it all... I FOUND SOMETHING!
http://grond1911.fortunecity.ws/

This has a version of the standalone strings patch! I put it in, and it works so well!

There's just one other thing I'm confused about: Where some space is for enemy names?

If you look at FFRestored in FFH, you can see long names and comparitively large KAB.

But on the patched regular rom, the enemy names are the same smaller ones, and has less KAB.

There's now space for longer enemy names, but not much space to add them on to.
Where does all the space go, do you think?
(With names like Nightmare Moon and the like, I could use that.)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 03:19:37 am by Toastypk »

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2018, 08:08:30 pm »
I can't really be of help here.  I don't know anything about these patches and am not willing to put the work into figuring them out.

Toastypk

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2018, 10:46:11 pm »
I can't really be of help here.  I don't know anything about these patches and am not willing to put the work into figuring them out.
That's fine, though I figured out that making things not all CAPS frees a bunch of KAB, cause of the DTE thing, so I sort of answered my own question.
One other question though: Where are the offsets for the bridge intro text and end text? They're not listed on Data Crystal.
I believe I have everything I need otherwise.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2018, 03:41:06 am »
You really should be able to find that on your own with any hex editor that supports table files and has a basic search feature.  (or by poking around in the disassembly)

I'm going to leave this as an exercise for you.

Toastypk

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2018, 02:42:56 pm »
Sure thing.
...I'm not indundating you am I? I'm sorry if I am.. I'm just using this thread as somewhat of a project progress blog, and to ask any questions I come across. But most of my concerns have been answered!
(to be honest though, I did look for a string or two from the intro before, but I couldn't locate it...)

EDIT: Found it! I searched for 98 9B 8B (O R B) and I found the "ORBS shine" from the intro!
Ok that was easier than when I tried the other time.

36843 - 368f1, AE long (174)
368F3 is ending text area
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 04:37:54 pm by Toastypk »

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2018, 07:50:21 pm »
...I'm not indundating you am I?

Not at all.  I just thought that was a really trivial thing that you could do on your own :P , but I didn't want you to feel like I was ignoring you.

:thumbsup:

Toastypk

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2018, 03:54:09 am »
Here's something cool.
The text patch replaces the STATUS, WEAPON tiles in the menu (the ones that are made to be five tiles long), and the MAGIC, FIGHT, DRINK in the battle screen! (the ones that are made to be four tiles long) and uses regular letters instead.
This frees 22 tiles to use for something else! I just have to decide what if any.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 04:13:18 am by Toastypk »

Toastypk

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2018, 11:33:08 pm »
I have another DTE question.
Garland in this game is a pony antagonist from the show named Sunset Shimmer.
When you type her name and use DTE, you get this:

Sun{3E}{21}S{3D}m{34}r

But I'm fighting her in game, and I get... this.

What's happening?
Is there some limitation going on? Can you not use DTE with fights? FFRestored I believe has DTE work without a problem.
(and btw I imported that font myself.)
EDIT: I just tested, regular FF1 doesn't support DTE for enemy names! I know that FFRestored does.
What is it I'm missing?

EDIT: Wow I just magically found the answer to my own question.
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/603
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 02:00:45 am by Toastypk »

FanofSMBX

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2018, 07:01:15 pm »
Hmm...
Cam't you just, instead of having the attacks use palette 3, make them used one of your four palettes (Applejack/Rarity/Pinkie/Cursor)? For instance, fire uses Applejack, ice (and hot blue fire) uses Rarity, and sparkles (palette swapped ones) uses all four?
I don't know how hard it would be to tell attacks to use certain palettes instead of all using #3, and you should make sure that your pony graphics have palette set up same way as the attacks (for instance, if the attack palettes go light-middle-dark, don't hack the new palette as dark-middle-light) or it will look inverted.

Toastypk

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2018, 02:53:51 am »
Hmm...
Cam't you just, instead of having the attacks use palette 3, make them used one of your four palettes (Applejack/Rarity/Pinkie/Cursor)? For instance, fire uses Applejack, ice (and hot blue fire) uses Rarity, and sparkles (palette swapped ones) uses all four?
I don't know how hard it would be to tell attacks to use certain palettes instead of all using #3, and you should make sure that your pony graphics have palette set up same way as the attacks (for instance, if the attack palettes go light-middle-dark, don't hack the new palette as dark-middle-light) or it will look inverted.
Pallete 3 keeps changing all the time. If you put that on a pony, she would change colors for every attack you would use.
And I don't think you can tell specific moves what palettes to use. Palette 3 loads a new one for every move.
If there was a white and gray character I could use  the stone palette for her though.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 02:58:56 am by Toastypk »

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2018, 04:09:37 pm »
FanofSMBX's plan actually is very possible and something I hadn't thought of!

It would take a chunk of asm work to make it happen, but it's definitely doable.  The biggest downside would be that all your magic and weapons would be limited to those 4 palettes, rather than the ~13 palettes they have now.  But maybe that tradeoff is more appealing than the others?  *shrug*

Definitely interesting.  Very cool idea.