News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Wolfenstein3D - SNES Uncut hack  (Read 19037 times)

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
Re: Wolfenstein3D - SNES Uncut hack
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2018, 04:44:54 pm »
Alright, you can always make it as a optional patch, this way he'll blend in better, because the other enemies & bosses have their PC color palettes.

Fire-WSP

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2018, 05:08:51 pm »
Additional patches are always possible but I like to keep the focus on the actual uncut patch for now.
This is a clear and doable goal, also timewise. What happens next is open. Everybody can continue or build upon it or start new.
This thread here contains a lot of information by now. :thumbsup:

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2018, 12:50:12 am »
Actually, I think this hack does need some minor color changes added to it, because I discovered that three other enemies have different colors:

Mutant (Different Colored Uniform) Han Grosse (Greenish Hair) Trans Grosse (Different Colored Armored Suit) Ubermutant (Different Colored Uniform)

This is what they're suppose to look like:

Because I think they're color errors in my opinion.

For the Jaguar voices, you should replace "Stop!" & "Halt!" with "Achtung!" & "Schutzstaffel!" and replace "Coming for ya!" with "Guten tag!".

Here's a patch with my minor fixes in it for your hack, I hope you like it: https://www.sendspace.com/file/b7kqtq

Here's what it does:

It gives the enemies & bosses their correct names in the cast roll.
It restores the unused End of Level track for the level complete screen.
It puts the Roster track on the credits screen.
It changes the music tracks on 1-1 (03), 1-2 (02) & 6-S (02), I didn't do all of them, I was going to let you do the rest of them. But if you want me to fix up the rest of them, let me know and I'll fix them for you.
It gives all the lowercase words on the title screen a uppercase letter (Example: "normal" to "Normal").
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:15:20 pm by SCD »

Fire-WSP

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2018, 08:00:22 am »
@SCD I am not sure if the palette is a bug. I dont think so.
This is just to big to miss during testing. My guess is that the palette for
this was changed on purpoe for some resons. This VGA Palete is very bright.
That could be a reason that they changed it a bit. Also most people do not use
it but BSNES offers a SNES Color emulation. It could be very well the case that
the original VGA colors just do not look good on the SNES in some cases.
The greenish hair is a indicator. That is palette related. The PAL in wolf 3D on SNES does not have nice yellow colors.
They all tend to go into more green. But if you use that with the Color Emulation on BSNES, the whole picture gets very warm red.
That has also a impact on the colors from the PAL and thewy will appear a bit different on screen.

When doing such a hack, it is also important that everything looks good on real hardware on a real CRT.
Once we have a import tool we can try the VGA palette but I am pretty sure that was done on purpose.

Good work on the music.
Can you please make a list here which Track belongs to which level?
Also what is your reference for that? The PC version?
Thanks  :thumbsup:

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2018, 10:49:35 am »
Alright, it sounds more like bad color choices by the developer, that's probably what I meant about them being color errors.

I think there's a way to restore the PC colors for those four enemies along with making the yellow color on items & objects less greenish looking without it looking bad on both SNES consoles & emulators.

What you should do is get someone that's good on fixing palettes in SNES games to fix those colors that I mentioned above and test them to make sure they'll look good on SNES consoles & emulators.

Thanks, I'm glad that you like my patch.

Yes, I added track 3 to Map 1-1 & track 2 to Map 6-S because those were the tracks that played in the PC version of those maps. I might try giving the maps the track set up that the Jaguar port had, but it won't be 100% accurate because some of the tracks are not in this port.

DarkSamus993 made a list of the maps with the tracks that played on them in the previous page.

You're welcome, I'm glad that you're letting me help you on your project.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 01:37:52 pm by SCD »

Shadowhazard

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2018, 11:18:52 am »
The Gfx on SNES, MAC, Jaguar are supposed to be. The Console Games are a different Story to PC and i think with the Changes for Example Trans Grosse Color they had in Mind to make the Gfx better. I like the Console GFX by the way a lot more than the VGA Version.

There are also other things that is different from PC: The Tables on Pc are with Chairs on SNES not. The Floor Color on SNES; JAG is brown an all Shadows are Brownlike and all Golden Items are a bit darker on snes.
Maybe some more.

Some new uncut content what is going into the rom.

AmmoBox
https://ibb.co/ih8CfS

BJ Level Summary Screen
https://ibb.co/fW80Zn

(Manually Merged Double Post)
There is one Idea, we could let the Rats because they fit relative good to the Console Story where more Mutant stuff is involved. The Rats are also Mutants, in the first beta version the have even green shiny eyes instead red. We could let them in the Game an so we could replace the unnecessary dogfoodbowl with the skeleton from wolf3d pc and the Cheese becomes replaced with a blood stain from wolf3d pc. So it would be possible to drink blood in the snes Version. The rats eat Human meat... a unique uncut version for snes is born^^

tested the Music Fix and so far i like the Changes SCD.
May try to make it like Jaguar music list and yes there is music content missing.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 02:17:46 pm by MathOnNapkins »

Fire-WSP

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2018, 11:32:49 am »
Hmm, the Jaguar version doesn't have mirrored textures, though.

During Gameplay I looked for the mirrored walls.
My guess is that they just didnt care if its mirrored or not.
The original SNES textures also in the beta roms are without symbols. There was no direction required anyway.
I don't think this is about memory or other shortages of the system.
My theory is to open the map and just switch or force the tile into the correct direction and make it permanent.
There are propably control bits available.

This phyton tool can extract the maps from the SNES version already. But the map format in the SNES version is different than in the PC version. So the script is converting the map files on the fly into the pc format. The SNES levels can be opened and played with a PC Wolf3D / Editor. Open one of the maps and see how one of this tiles is set, maybe tells us someting.

In the SNES roms the wall textures are stored mirrored and also turned 90° counter clock wise.
I placed my reworked textures in the same way.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2018, 12:36:51 pm »
ShadowOne333 made a list of the maps with the tracks that played on them in the previous page.
I think it was DarkSamus993, not me :p

Its great that the game is taking shape now :D
Finally some redemption for SNES Wolfy.

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2018, 01:40:21 pm »
@Shadowhazard

Alright, we can make the VGA colors as a optional patch for this hack.

The new uncut sprites for the Ammo Box & the BJ Level Summary Screen came out great.

We can also make the Mutant Rat & the Cheese as another optional patch for this hack as well.

Thanks for liking my patch, I'll see what I can do on making the track list be more like the one from the Jaguar port, but it's going to be tough because some of the tracks from that port are not in this one.

@ShadowOne333

Yeah I accidentally put your name in my post instead of his, I fixed it, sorry about that.

Do you think you can restore those color palettes that I mentioned in there?

I agree with you, I'm glad this game is going to become what it should had been like.

@Fire-WSP

Maybe another neat idea for your hack is maybe restore the extra rooms that were only in the beta versions of some of the maps back to the final versions of them.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 12:19:50 am by SCD »

Fire-WSP

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2018, 04:04:00 pm »
BJ Level Summary Screen
https://ibb.co/fW80Zn

funny that you mention this.
This is something I was working on. My brother told me to check this.
This part is also cut in the SNES version.
The first two frames should have a little blood in the face.
But there is the third picture. In the SNES version we have the thumps up picture.
In the PC version there is the chaingun picture.
For the PC Version this picture uses the head from the HUD with a few changes to the eyes and mouth.
This makes it inconsistent with the head style from the other two frames.
Check this reworked GFX:

On the bottom left I used a Head from the SNES HUD with a few modifications. This would be the PC counterpart.
This is quite inconsistent with the head style from the other two frames.
The bottom right picture uses a slightly altered head from the original SNES thumps up picture.
I like this more because it keeps the head style with the other two pictures.

I wanted to ask the community which one is better to include but as it is right now, this part can not be uncensored.
I checked and this picture uses only 4bit planar which is only a part of the full palette for the intermission screen.
The palette does not feature any red for blood or yellow for the chaingun.
If we could change it to take full advantage of the palette, it would work and look like my examples.
If not, this can not be modified in a meaningfull way I think.

@SCD
I was thinking about the Ball texture again with the shitler picture.
What I could offer is this:

This material was in the Mac version stuff so it is original and fits much better with the comic theme.
The original GFX has a blue BG but the contrast is better with red, so it became red.
This could be go straight into the game and fits well with the fish eye optic. I guess the brick wall in the GFX was some kind of censorship since they used that offensive picture in the JAG version.

Edit:
I have include it in the patch. it looks good on screen.
Will be in the next update.

@DarkSamus993
I have looked at the music stuff.
With your information it is easy to change the music now. Very cool.
But could it be that there is a entry missing for the Misc. Screen Song IDS?
After $C0/523C [F4 06 00]    PEA $0006  // Final score comes the "Meet the cast and it plays $05 = The Ultimate Challenge there.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 09:54:27 pm by Fire-WSP »

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2018, 11:29:55 pm »
@DarkSamus993
I have looked at the music stuff.
With your information it is easy to change the music now. Very cool.
But could it be that there is a entry missing for the Misc. Screen Song IDS?
After $C0/523C [F4 06 00]    PEA $0006  // Final score comes the "Meet the cast and it plays $05 = The Ultimate Challenge there.

The cast roll takes place on Map 6-B, so it uses whatever song is set for that map, in this case "The Ultimate Challenge".

Shadowhazard

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2018, 03:17:30 am »
The Replacement for FishEye look is a good choise :)

I have to say SCHEISSE because of the tiny palette for BJ Summary Screen. Its not the End of the World but its nasty Scheiße! (ß = sz sometimes ss) :D

Squall_FF8

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2018, 03:48:27 am »
I checked and this picture uses only 4bit planar which is only a part of the full palette for the intermission screen.
The palette does not feature any red for blood or yellow for the chaingun.
If you need only 2 colors, that can be relatively easy done:
 - color 7 is used in just 4-5 pixels
 - color 14 is used only for hair on top of the head. You can free that color, by raplacing the top with something close enough (like color 6)
 - color 15 is used for few shades, but can be substituted with color 9
* Colors are numbered from 0 to 15

So with little bit of creativity, you can easily free 3 color slots - red, yellow and XXX  :beer:

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2018, 07:00:23 am »
@Fire-WSP

Here's a updated version of my patch with a fixed up music track list for the maps: https://www.sendspace.com/file/lllz37

I couldn't make it like the Jaguar track list, so I kept almost everything how it is, but I made it where the "Funk You" track only plays on the two hidden maps and I replace them on the main maps with different tracks. I hope you like my choices.

I like what you did to the 3D ball, that was a good choice of using that image from the Mac & 3DO ports to replace the brick wall with.

Another thing you should add to your hack is the ability to switch to all the weapons, because I noticed when you get the chain gun, you can't select the knife, the pistol & the machine gun at all.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 07:07:49 am by SCD »

Shadowhazard

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2018, 12:19:17 pm »
yes i totally agree! switch between all Weapons would be awesome.
Wow Squall_FF8, nice news :)

Fire-WSP

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2018, 05:59:52 pm »
The cast roll takes place on Map 6-B, so it uses whatever song is set for that map, in this case "The Ultimate Challenge".
Ah okay, that makes sense. Thanks
Changing the tracks works without hassle.

@Squall_FF8
I tried and reducing 2 colors works.
But it has impact on the original look of the picture.
Before I am going to change the GFX in that way, I would like to hear some technical stuff first.
The thing is, that the full palette holds exact the colors needed to display it correctly with blood and chaingun.
The actual picture however is just in 4bit 16 colors. This could be because of limitations or they just done it like that for some other reason. Could we give the picture more color space? This would be interesting.

@SCD
For some reason I heard about the weapon change issue already in the past somewhere.
Have you checked the Beta versions? is it the same issue there?
I think that is something to put on the todo list.

Also I will put my latest patch online. I have not so much time right now so I did not merged your stuff so far.
Could you do that?

Here is my latest patch:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qp7gb26y2yflv65/Wolf3D_UncutV03.zip?dl=0

NoIntro US Version like always.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 07:34:23 pm by Fire-WSP »

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2018, 08:07:59 pm »
I made some new changes and merged everything that's been altered by everyone so far (includes source):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZJTGthvC8cpAFHX0hHU1XsB4XSw8twC0

I still need to do some text cleanup (mainly just centering the top and bottom margins on the mission briefs), but at least they are included now.

What's new:
- Expanded the ROM to make room for the larger texts on the mission briefing screens.
- The text is no longer transferred to RAM, and is instead read straight from ROM. The empty block of RAM where text used to be sent to is now used for more text pointers (more room was needed for ptrs since there's more text now).
- All the sprites from the Beta 2 ROM have been ported over (as is since we can't import new sprites yet).

Squall_FF8

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2018, 08:13:22 pm »
@Squall_FF8
I tried and reducing 2 colors works.
But it has impact on the original look of the picture.
Before I am going to change the GFX in that way, I would like to hear some technical stuff first.
The thing is, that the full palette holds exact the colors needed to display it correctly with chaingun.
The actual picture however is just in 4bit 16 colors. This could be because of limitations or they just done it like that for some other reason. Could we give the picture more color space? This would be interesting.
Unfortunately the change 4bpp -> 8bpp would require deep knowledge on the game. And even if you know the detail probably addition ASM will be needed. On top of that as 8bpp you will need additional space to hold. That by itself make an avalanche of things that need to be done :(

That's is the reason I proposed to use 2 of the least used colors. Sure the 2 colors will impact the picture. That's why the picture needs to be reworked to use 13 colors instead of 15.
I almost forgot: I had some spare time today, so I was able to visualize Sprites!!! :crazy:
I made a special version of Visual SAK for you, with extra buttons so you can check all Sprites (around 170):
 - Download the special version
 - Open Wolf3d ROM
 - Add $20000 as address, choose 8bpp(PC) as template
 - Use $0A3B54 as palette address and load it
 - click only 1 time on "List"
 - after that you may preview all Sprites with buttons >> / <<

Fire-WSP

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2018, 09:28:08 pm »
@DarkSamus993
Wow, now I am impressed.
I just tried the patch and it looks very cool.
Awesome work!

How did you got the beta 2 sprites transfered over?
Also to what size has the rom be expanded? I had a feeling that this could be needed just not so early.
In this regard it would be interesting to know, why there is a lot of content missing from the PC version.
I think I fully understand why the wall textures are just 32x32. Fitting all this 64x64 Sprites plus wall textures
into Vram could be hard. That could explain, why there are wall texture variations are missing.
But for some Sprites I guess it was the lack of Cartridge space.
Otherwise they could have fit in more bosses. Same could be true for the music and sound.
Could that be a correct assumption, or are there technical details I miss?

Edit: I had a look at the asm file. I do not understand much of that ASM stuff but that is very clean documenation in there.

@@Squall_FF8
cool, so your programm can now also read that weired format in the rom?
Great, with the offset list it should be possible to enter them all in your swiss army knife :)
Now with the new patch even more interesting ^^

Okay as far as I can see there are the following things left to do for the pure uncut:

Check propblem with mirrored wall textures
Uncensor Ammo Clip
Uncensor Ammo Crate
Uncensor Cross Item (is also cut in beta)
Replace Rats with Dogs + sounds
Replace Cheese
Replace bowl
Add skeleton to the cage
Check intermission picture for palette improvement and or uncensor
final text changes
Check the proplem with not be able to switch guns when having the chain gun
Change/add several voices like (Guten Tag)
Add Umlaut Ü for Übermutant and ö für Grösse
Need to check if its Grösse or Größe (That is actually a difference XD )
Testing

Most stuff in this list concerns the Sprites.
As DarkSamus pointed out already, Sprites can not be importetd yet.
Sound stuff is propably not very easy.
Also we would need to know what kind of format it is and so on.

There is still some stuff to do but thanks to Dark Samus we got a very big
step closer to have it done in a vey good way.

Thank you very much everybody.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 09:37:03 pm by Fire-WSP »

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2018, 11:25:04 pm »
How did you got the beta 2 sprites transfered over?
I just copied the sprite data and pasted it over the sprites in the final version. I moved sprite 169 to a different location (there was some freespace left within the sprite data) so it could all fit in the same space. Then I just updated the pointers that link to that data (since the beta started at the same offset, I was able to copy all that data and only had to change the one ptr to sprite 169).

Also to what size has the rom be expanded? I had a feeling that this could be needed just not so early.
I expanded it to 12 Mbits (1.5 MB). There wasn't much in the way of large contiguous chunks of freespace, and I figured we'll probably be needing it anyway if we want to add new content. It might be possible to squeeze the larger texts in without expanding the ROM if I split them up. I just did it like this for now since it makes things easier (I can always go back and split things if we end up not needing the expanded space).

In this regard it would be interesting to know, why there is a lot of content missing from the PC version.
I think I fully understand why the wall textures are just 32x32. Fitting all this 64x64 Sprites plus wall textures into Vram could be hard. That could explain, why there are wall texture variations are missing.
But for some Sprites I guess it was the lack of Cartridge space.
Otherwise they could have fit in more bosses. Same could be true for the music and sound.
Could that be a correct assumption, or are there technical details I miss?
Sounds about right, larger ROM = larger expense.

Check the proplem with not be able to switch guns when having the chain gun
I'll take a look at this.

Change/add several voices like (Guten Tag)
I'll look into this if someone can get me the sound files (preferable in WAV format). From prior experience working with other SNES games, it should be a matter of converting it to a BRR sample and then sending it to the SPU with the other samples and the data/ptrs for how to play it (correct pitch and all that). It'll take some research on the format the game uses to store SFX playback data, but it might be doable. This is of course assuming there is even room in ARAM for more sound data.

Speaking of sound, would anyone be interested in me adding MSU-1 music streaming capabilities? I've done a few (currently unreleased) projects prior, so I already know how to program for it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:33:52 pm by DarkSamus993 »