News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

What should the new name for the "Spell" spell be?

Reveal
5 (21.7%)
Unveil
4 (17.4%)
Enigma
9 (39.1%)
Expose
5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Zelda II Redux  (Read 319939 times)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: Zelda II Redux
« Reply #960 on: December 06, 2020, 06:03:14 pm »
Ah, that is a tricky situation... Maybe try a Link's Awakening style save but just exclude select? Like A+B+Start?

It could be too cumbersome to pull up for some.
I heard some complaints about it, that many people find the Link's Awakening save system to be obnoxious due to the button combo. It'd like it as Select alone when in the Pause screen, but then again many flashcarts and even the game itself uses Select on its own, so that makes it harder to find a suitable combo.

I left it as Up+A for consistency with Zelda 1 (since it also uses Up+A) and other NES games of the era that use SRAM saving, like Metroid which also uses Up+A.

On a side note, I have updated both the GitHub repo and the Romhacking page with the new optional patch that changes the SFX when you obtain a minor item, like P-bags and Magic jars, so it doesn't use the same SFX as the Sword beam.

Patch is already in the Github repo, and it's awaiting approval in here, so it should be up in a few hours!

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
« Reply #961 on: December 09, 2020, 12:17:05 pm »
Cool thing you added that SFX patch. Will surely be using it!  :)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #962 on: December 09, 2020, 01:27:47 pm »
Cool thing you added that SFX patch. Will surely be using it!  :)

Neat!
Let me know what do you think of the new SFX for that.
I struggled a bit because I couldn't find a proper substitute for the Sword beam SFX, but I think the one I choose fits just fine.

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
« Reply #963 on: December 10, 2020, 05:22:57 am »
Strange... the SFX patch doesn't seem to have any effect...  :o

I tested it on a clean Zelda 2 ROM. First attaching the Zelda 2 Redux.ips and then the optional SFX patch. Then I ran into some enemies on the field, destroyed monsters until a blue bottle appeared (made sure to not have full health) and then picked up the blue bottle. Still the Sword Beam sound.

I then tested just the SFX patch on a Zelda 2 ROM. Same effect.

Any ideas on why it isn't working?

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #964 on: December 10, 2020, 12:14:34 pm »
Strange... the SFX patch doesn't seem to have any effect...  :o

I tested it on a clean Zelda 2 ROM. First attaching the Zelda 2 Redux.ips and then the optional SFX patch. Then I ran into some enemies on the field, destroyed monsters until a blue bottle appeared (made sure to not have full health) and then picked up the blue bottle. Still the Sword Beam sound.

I then tested just the SFX patch on a Zelda 2 ROM. Same effect.

Any ideas on why it isn't working?

Oh you're right. I should have tested it more thoroughly.
The way I was testing it, was by going to the woods tile above Zelda's Palace, the one which holds a P-bag lying on the ground with some blue Keese in the trees.
Turns out the game handles these kind of items separately from the ones dropped by enemies.

I think I fixed it though:

Code: [Select]
//****************************************************************
//    Change the Sound that plays when grabbing a minor item

bank 7;
// Sound for Items already available in-ground
org $E802 // 0x1E812
lda.b #$02 // Originally LDA #$08
sta.b $EC // Originally STA $EF, SFX Type 4
// Changed SFX Type from 1 to 3

// Sound for Item drops from enemies
org $E847 // 0x1E857

You can download the updated optional patch from the GitHub, or wait for the update to be accepted in here (just sent the updated IPS).
Only the "Change Minor Item GFX.ips" was updated (and its code), everything else is still the same.

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
« Reply #965 on: December 11, 2020, 04:40:29 am »
Ah cool. I'll check it out and let you know!  :)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #966 on: December 11, 2020, 10:26:19 am »
It's worth noting that the new SFX for both text and minor items were chosen from the ones I thought sounded best from all possible options.
The options we have in all 4 SFX banks don't really have good or suitable sounds to select from for short and non-intrusive SFX, so I chose what thought was best given the limited SFX that fit that category.

killXtech

• View Profile
« Reply #967 on: December 20, 2020, 01:27:59 am »
I found this hack a few hours ago and just got around to trying it out. I love all these ideas and it looks amazing but for some reason my overworld keeps flickering very badly. Seems to be only the plains, the road, and the right border of the screen. Is this a common problem, hopefully with an easy fix? Or maybe some issue with my emulator. I'm playing on android if that matters

kaine23

• View Profile
« Reply #968 on: December 27, 2020, 02:23:16 pm »
If i save and continue, am i not supposed to keep my xp gained?

King Luigi

• View Profile
« Reply #969 on: December 30, 2020, 08:25:28 am »
The change was intentional.
I made the change since MGK is an abbreviation often used in RPGs to refer to Magic/Magick/Magik.
MGC or MAG is also another one, but I feel like RPGs use MGK more often than those other two.
Ah, I see. I still think it's a bit odd, but as long as it wasn't
the text being buggy again or something, that's good.

On a side note, I have updated both the GitHub repo and the Romhacking page
with the new optional patch that changes the SFX when you obtain a minor item,
like P-bags and Magic jars, so it doesn't use the same SFX as the Sword beam.
Oooh, so you actually looked into/implemented my idea? That's awesome, thanks man!
(Honestly, I think I'd be good with any new sound for this.
Anything other than reusing the sword beam. That was just stupid.)

Oh you're right. I should have tested it more thoroughly.
The way I was testing it, was by going to the woods tile above Zelda's Palace,
the one which holds a P-bag lying on the ground with some blue Keese in the trees.
Turns out the game handles these kind of items separately from the ones dropped by enemies.
Yeah, it seems like this game is being especially stubborn I'm afraid...
because during my test the keys in temples weren't affected by this patch.
(The p-bag in the forest/dropped by enemies & the magic drops by enemies
were fine, it's just the pre-placed keys that're being weird now.)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #970 on: December 30, 2020, 06:53:57 pm »
I found this hack a few hours ago and just got around to trying it out. I love all these ideas and it looks amazing but for some reason my overworld keeps flickering very badly. Seems to be only the plains, the road, and the right border of the screen. Is this a common problem, hopefully with an easy fix? Or maybe some issue with my emulator. I'm playing on android if that matters

It could be either the emulator itself, or a bad base ROM.
Be sure to test your ROM in another emulator, and if the issue still occurs, then it's most likely a bad base ROM.

If i save and continue, am i not supposed to keep my xp gained?

Yeah that's normal.
EXP is only meant to be kept when choosing only Continue.
If you save and then reload the file, it won't have the EXP you had.
EXP is not saved in SRAM, sadly. It's the only drawback of that optional patch atm.

Yeah, it seems like this game is being especially stubborn I'm afraid...
because during my test the keys in temples weren't affected by this patch.
(The p-bag in the forest/dropped by enemies & the magic drops by enemies
were fine, it's just the pre-placed keys that're being weird now.)

That's Zelda 2 being Zelda 2 alright.
I simply missed yet another instance of the same code, but for Temples.
I didn't test inside Temples lol

This should fix it:

Code: [Select]
//    Change the Sound that plays when grabbing a minor item

bank 7;
// Sound for Items already available in-ground inside Temples
org $E79A // 0x1E7AA
// Changed SFX Type from 4 to 1

// Sound for Items already available in-ground in Overworld
org $E802 // 0x1E812

// Sound for Item drops from enemies
org $E847 // 0x1E857

I missed the code at $E79A (0x1E7AA), alongside the other two, which I already had.
With that, getting Keys inside Temples should give the same sound as when obtaining an item now.

I will be updating the optional patch in a while.

kaine23

• View Profile
« Reply #971 on: December 31, 2020, 12:31:22 am »
ok cause ive selected continue many times and didn't save my exp.

Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #972 on: January 19, 2021, 02:13:17 pm »
Hey!

I was waiting for this kind of revamped experience for a long time but I didn't expect it to be as good as it is! Awesome work!

Anyway I patched the game with the "Revility Edition Sprites" and a problem emerged from it: the script is not reflective of the graphical changes... so I heard about a Goddess Statue while I found a ring, a hammer instead of a bomb, etc. A very minor flaw but I guess I had to point it out for the sake of consistency. Or maybe I should use NewGFX.ips instead?

Other than that, I like all the little fixes your team thought of. The enemy drops may be a bit overdone as the game seems too easy now but I could be too accustomed to the game.

Thanks a lot to anyone involved. Childhood revived!

MattKimura

• View Profile
« Reply #973 on: January 20, 2021, 08:38:18 pm »
ok cause ive selected continue many times and didn't save my exp.
Only keeps the exp (not saves) when you get game over after losing all your lives and then choosing continue. Doesn't work if you access the continue screen by pressing UP+A on the overworld as I'd have hoped for. So if you don't mind increasing your game over counter, it's good. I'd say patch is still worthwhile because you can use savestates to keep the exp (since it doesn't save in SRAM as Shadow mentioned above). So the next time you continue playing you can load the savestate. Otherwise, the exp will be kept for as long as you played until you shut it off if you were playing on actual hardware. It's definitely a patch I would apply, even if I don't actually utilize it.

Side story but I always killed myself in the game when playing Zelda II in order to reset my lives so I don't have to worry about game overs and starting far back. But since the redux patch starts you off at palaces anyways, I don't even have to do that anymore. Unless I want to avoid game over counters by pressing UP+A on the overworld, but realistically anyone playing zelda II casually is gonna get game overs, it's not like other zelda games where it's easy keeping it at 000. Anyone looking at my save file would know I did some sort of manipulating or cheating to keep a 000 game over save file.

ifightdragons

• View Profile
« Reply #974 on: January 21, 2021, 07:55:25 am »
Hey!

I was waiting for this kind of revamped experience for a long time but I didn't expect it to be as good as it is! Awesome work!

Anyway I patched the game with the "Revility Edition Sprites" and a problem emerged from it: the script is not reflective of the graphical changes... so I heard about a Goddess Statue while I found a ring, a hammer instead of a bomb, etc. A very minor flaw but I guess I had to point it out for the sake of consistency. Or maybe I should use NewGFX.ips instead?

Other than that, I like all the little fixes your team thought of. The enemy drops may be a bit overdone as the game seems too easy now but I could be too accustomed to the game.

I ran into the exact same problem.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #975 on: January 24, 2021, 04:27:07 pm »
Hey!

Ah one instance I completely disregarded back when I did the GFX patches.
I didn't take into consideration that they changed the items to other things.
I could go one of two ways about it:
  • Change the graphics of the specific items that where changed in Revility's, and make new custom item graphics in Revility's style for the optional GFX patches
  • Change the instances where the original items are mentioned by text in the game to the new ones for Rev's patch only

Let me know what do you guys think.

Another thing, I was working on a reworked/modern title screen for Zelda 1 Redux, and decided to attempt doing one for Zelda 2 as well. I based it on IcePenguin's "Journey of a Day" hack, and reworked it a bit to fit the original title of the game.
I already did the optional patch, it's awaiting approval. Here's how it looks in-game:

Enjoy!

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
« Reply #976 on: January 25, 2021, 04:28:43 am »
I would go for option 2, as it gives people some flexibility to which items they would like to have in the game. That's a clean looking title screen. I like it a lot!  :)

ifightdragons

• View Profile
« Reply #977 on: January 25, 2021, 11:07:31 am »
I would go for option 2, as it gives people some flexibility to which items they would like to have in the game. That's a clean looking title screen. I like it a lot!  :)

Agreed. The changes Revility made to the item graphics are superb. Having the text to go along with them would be perfect.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #978 on: January 29, 2021, 09:10:27 pm »
Just sent the submission with the item name fixes for both the 'New GFX' and 'Revility Sprites' optional patches.
The text should now name the proper items that match with the graphics for the revamped graphics.

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #979 on: January 30, 2021, 12:25:34 pm »
The new title for the New GFX version was not as beautiful as the original due to its colors, would it be possible for a patch to modify them for this hack?

In fact I always referred to the New GFX version here on my set as 'DX':

Bonus and off-topic: What do you think of that for the Ys series? It got better?

The thing i would like is to include that frame present in the screens of the original versions.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 07:38:49 am by darthvaderx »
See my hacks channel including some of my works:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MyWashington2/videos