News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda II Redux  (Read 44893 times)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: Zelda II Redux
« Reply #200 on: August 14, 2018, 11:10:00 am »
@Chicken Knife:

I already went through most of your points, except the last two.
Patch has been updated to reflect the latest changes too.

The issue with the text for the kidnapped kid being parsed wrongly was fixed, turns out it was a wrongly put linebreak.
Easy fix, just took me a while to realize lol

Anyway, I will touch down on the experience given by the Lizalfos once I know the text script is ready to go.

As for the King Bubble...
Now THAT is concerning.

I don't recall modifying much about the King Bubble other than HP, and I have my doubts that it was his HP I touched and not the individual bubbles.
Could you double check, please?
I am worried that I might have fucked up the King Bubble spawn somehow, but I want to be sure.
Did you encounter any at all? Or simply found less of them?

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 14, 2018, 08:23:47 pm »
@ShadowOne333

RE: King Bubbles, I'm certain that I didn't see any on my path through the great palace. My file saved over starting at the beginning so I can't make the run again atm but I am 100 percent certain they weren't there. Just in case the faq I was following for the route misinformed me of what enemies should be where, I just watched a youtube run where the guy took the same path and I saw multiple King Bubbles in the same rooms I passed with none.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 15, 2018, 05:58:37 pm »
You are right.
I didn't want to bump into this, damnit.
I entered some cheat codes and also some RAM hacking to breeze my way up to the Great Palace in less than a minute.

So it turns out that the King Bubble, and maybe even the King Bot (can you check this one as well?) are both borked.
What happens is that, when the game should load one King Bubble, it appears as the split minor versions.

For example, in place of getting the King Bubble, you get two usual Bubbles, as if you just defeated the King Bubble and it already split into the two lesser enemies. I am thinking perhaps the King Bot might be a victim of this as well, although I am not sure, if anyone can also check if that enemy is also screwed, please let me know.

I tried editing back the King Bubble's HP, but it still keeps appearing as the split Bubbles :/
I will see what I can do to fix this. I have zero clue as to what edit I made to the enemies made the King Bubble bork.

Worst case scenario, I might have to undo all of the enemy changes and see if that does it, if not then we are in real trouble.

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 15, 2018, 07:38:15 pm »
King Bot is good. I definitely came across him where I was supposed to and he popped with one upward sword thrust.

And yes, I did see multiple small bubbles in the rooms where the king was supposed to appear. Strange issue. You'd think that restoring his HP to the former would stop setting off his split routine. Good luck and fingers crossed.

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #204 on: August 16, 2018, 02:47:44 am »
Chicken Knife. About the Japanese translation. I just checked the FDS version of Zelda II, and I can confirm that the spells are exactly the same in the Japanese version. Yes, in English. Go figure.

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 16, 2018, 03:53:58 am »
@Trax,

Coincidentally I downloaded the fds version today as well and came to the same amusing realization. Judging by the intro text alone, it's clear that the writer's skill with English really doesn't hold up among native speakers.

So the question would be: is it more important to be perfectly faithful to the Japanese or to present a product that comes across as a polished localization? I'd go with the latter every time.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 16, 2018, 02:07:48 pm »
Holy crap that was scary.

I managed to fix it, here's the latest patch:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9nvida92kyh5svj/Zelda2Redux.ips?dl=0

That one should have the King Bubble issue already fixed.

So it turns out that indeed the HP editing was what borked the King.
For some reason it seems to only take HP values from C0 and up, else the individual bubbles pop up in his place.

I said before that the HP wasn't the cause because I was testing using save states inside the Great Palace.
I left the room I was in, and re-entered the room to test the Bubble spawn.

The problem here was that I did not take into account that once you enter the Palace, the whole RAM for enemy HP gets replaced, so loading a save state loaded the previous values it had, and not the updated ones.

So I had to do a LOT of testing.
Re-entering the Great Palace and go all the way through the Great Palace until I reached a point in which a King Bubble spawns.
I did this I believe like 50 or more times lol
Testing the values for sure is odd. I think the HPs for both the King Bubble and Bot might have something else going on.

In any case, this one should be okay for a more polished test.
Once I get the green light that the script is working fine and there are no more odd spawns/missing enemies, I will continue with the slight modifications of the Lizalfos that Chicken Knife mentioned, and the ones at the OP, and that should be it for the enemies so far.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:
I also noted that the Bubbles in the Great Palace seem to drain Magic from Link when touched.
Is there a way to disable this?
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere before if my memory serves me right.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 03:23:53 pm by ShadowOne333 »

njosro

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 16, 2018, 09:02:22 pm »
I also noted that the Bubbles in the Great Palace seem to drain Magic from Link when touched.
Is there a way to disable this?

Try changing the value at A08C from 01 to 00. This might stop magic from draining. I'm looking through code and haven't tried it. Hope it works!

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 17, 2018, 10:28:50 am »
Try changing the value at A08C from 01 to 00. This might stop magic from draining. I'm looking through code and haven't tried it. Hope it works!
A08C in PC address?
It seems like that particular bank is reserved for pointers and stuff for the Maze Island.
0xA08C has values [BA A2] in there.

However, upon further inspection of the code, I noticed that you were actually referring to PC address 0x01609C, which the game reads as $A08C in NES address.

And indeed, that one address seems to be the one which modifies the subtraction of the Magic meter.

Code: [Select]
[E9 01] = SBC $01
This means that every time you get a hit from a Bubble, the Magic meter is subtracted one point from it.
By changing the value to 00, we are effectively changing it so that, even if hit, the subtraction would be 0, which means no more Magic drained.

Thanks, njosro!

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 18, 2018, 08:11:32 am »
I just checked and it's not just bubbles from the great palace that drain magic. Bubbles from the first palace do the same.

But do you really want to eliminate this? I thought of it as a Zelda tradition carrying forward in Link to the Past.

* EDIT

I also came across what seems to be a new issue

https://imgur.com/a/QTz9Aaz

I DREW SOME WATER seems to be added to the end of this text in Ruto where it should not appear. Interestingly, the word DREW remains on the brick after the dialogue box is closed.

I haven't made it back to Nabooru yet but I'm wondering if the text for drawing the water there is correct or not.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 09:21:35 am by Chicken Knife »

njosro

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 18, 2018, 04:41:31 pm »
By changing the value to 00, we are effectively changing it so that, even if hit, the subtraction would be 0, which means no more Magic drained.
Thanks, njosro!

You're welcome! Yeah normally I'd give you a PC address but I did it really quickly on the side and didn't check.

By the way, I wasn't active here for a little while, but if I had known you were going to do extensive text editing, I would have changed my editor right away for you so it could show a preview of text that doesn't skip lines :)
The editor makes it super easy to view pointers and see what text they point to, edit text in a hex-editor sort of interface (with the game's characters showing up in place of hex values), and do search functions. Like, you can put the cursor inside a chunk of text and have the program reveal the pointer that leads to that text.

Am I shamelessly promoting my editor? Yes I am :P

I DREW SOME WATER seems to be added to the end of this text in Ruto where it should not appear.

I took the liberty of fixing it, since it's just missing an FF end marker.
fixed patch: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ei1vd7032n6a15p/Zelda2Redux.ips?dl=1
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 04:54:02 pm by njosro »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 20, 2018, 10:36:27 am »
I forgot you were the one that made that editor, njosro :P
I even downloaded it at one point but didn't even make the connection xD

And yes, it was a simple missing end-line command.
Added it back, and repointed the text accordingly, here's the latest patch with that fix implemented:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9nvida92kyh5svj/Zelda2Redux.ips?dl=0

As always, let me know if something else comes up :)

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 20, 2018, 02:29:52 pm »
Look at Njosro with the sales pitch for his editor. LOL! I think I told you a while back anyway that you should do a video tutorial on your editor.

My life has gone through some major changes, so I've only been able to peek in from time to time. It's good to see everyone still giving Zelda 2 some love.

@ShadowOne - I'll download your newest update and check it out. I'm sure your work with the text will help me out with my hack once I'm able to return to work on it.

@Njosro - Do you have anymore surprise Zelda 2 projects you're working on? Also, were you ever able to make some progress on creating that mid air jump?

@Trax - How far along are you with your latest hack and newest Sword II editor?
Trust in the Heart of the Cards

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 24, 2018, 05:47:25 pm »
Something that seems to be a minor glitch: on two occasions when battling enemies I saw the HUD information on top of the screen quickly flash with alternating screens of garbage characters. It only lasted a second or two on each occasion. I was unable to do a screen grab in both cases.

I decided to check this out myself, and managed to reproduce it quite consistently now.

However, guess what?
It's not a bug from the hack, it's a bug from Zelda II present in the original as well.

Here are some images I gathered:
https://imgur.com/a/dFY5KvS

What happens is that the HUD tends to move left or right in an exaggerated manner at times (this happens in a 1 frame only lapse), and doesn't stay static like it should.
I struggled a bit to take the pics in the exact moment the glitch happens, as the HUD glitch only happens in a 1 frame time-lapse, so I had to go around doing frame-by-frame movements to catch it.

Here's how to reproduce it (sort of):
  • Start a new game
  • Exit Zelda's Palace and go to the woods to the right of Zelda's
  • Try to make it so that the little chuchu-like enemy sprite bumps into you while on the woods area
  • Once in the side-scrolling screen try to let a few of the Moblins hit you, and try to stay to the left of the area a little bit so that the Moblins tend to respawn, and try to jump around a bit while you get hit

By following that, you can get the glitch to appear every once in a while.
It's not as consistent as I'd like, but I manage to get it to present itself by doing that for a while, you'll see the HUD moving around eventually.

This is certainly odd, I never heard something about this glitch before, so it beats me as to what it could possibly to even attempt a fix for it in Redux.
If someone does know, please be sure to drop by any info that could fix it, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 24, 2018, 05:59:41 pm »
Your thoroughness does not cease to amaze.  :thumbsup:

As I continue to play around with your latest patch, there's something I wanted to toss out there.

Suicide to save the game is annoying. Adding some kind of menu based save functionality would probably be a mighty challenge from a coding perspective but I believe it would fit your overall objective of removing annoyances. Have you given it any thought?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 07:31:41 pm by Chicken Knife »

itemdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 25, 2018, 07:21:54 pm »
if you lag the game out the hud does this to my recollection.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 25, 2018, 08:05:13 pm »
Your thoroughness does not cease to amaze.  :thumbsup:

As I continue to play around with your latest patch, there's something I wanted to toss out there.

Suicide to save the game is annoying. Adding some kind of menu based save functionality would probably be a mighty challenge from a coding perspective but I believe it would fit your overall objective of removing annoyances. Have you given it any thought?

???
Up+A after pressing Start saves the game.
This has been a feature since way back in the first release.
Also, this save doesn't count towards the death counter in the Save Selection screen

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 25, 2018, 11:07:29 pm »
At the beginning of this thread I actually knew this was a feature. Over the last few weeks that I've been playing it actively, I wasn't  remembering whether or not it was added, so I played around with button combinations in the menu trying to find it and came to the conclusion that it wasn't there and I was thinking of another hack. I'm just wondering  if it would serve the project to make the function easier to stumble upon naturally--say simply pressing select with no direction required after hitting start. Not all users are going to comb through the features--or may forget about it like I did.

*EDIT

I now realize that it functions exactly like dying where continue causes you return to the beginning temple or the start of a dungeon. Unless you could make continue cause it to cancel in this specific case, I definitely would not make it easier to access.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 04:14:38 pm by Chicken Knife »

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #218 on: August 26, 2018, 02:40:57 pm »
I have been playing Adventure of Link since the console release and I never knew I could Up + Start to save it D=

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #219 on: August 26, 2018, 06:26:41 pm »
I started working on the skeleton of my hack (possible name : Dark Fortress), the ROM is now expanded to 16 PRG banks and 16 CHR banks, and the banks have their assignments as to what they will contain. However, we just entered into a very important election campaign, so I'll be super busy until the beginning of October.

ShadowOne, I don't think I can let you say "chu-chu like enemy sprites", that's blasphemous especially from someone who should know the game by heart. >:( Are you referring to Demon Shadows on the Overworld map? My first thought was the enemy called Lowder (they kinda look like Chuchus), but they are usually found in caves.

Itemdrop is right about lag causing the HUD to jitter and show garbage for a frame duration. The original game is actually easy to choke, to my dismay. Having more than 2 projectile generating enemies at the same time on screen is enough to cause lag, and the aforementioned artifact effects.

Also, the Up+A command only works if done on the second controller (and the game must be paused), so Chicken Knife comment about discoverability may be justified. However, it would take some amount of reprogramming to create a dedicated menu. Also, I wouldn't want to accidentally call this command in the middle of the game, especially if you can't cancel it.