News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda II Redux  (Read 33470 times)

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda II Redux
« Reply #140 on: May 16, 2018, 03:26:31 pm »
That looks great! It's amazing what just removing the dakuten spaces can do to get you a little extra space.

You have already sped up the text drawing speed, right? It'd make sense, because Japanese is read and parsed more slowly than English as a result of being able to convey more with fewer characters.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 16, 2018, 04:23:01 pm »
You have already sped up the text drawing speed, right? It'd make sense, because Japanese is read and parsed more slowly than English as a result of being able to convey more with fewer characters.
That is correct :)
The text drawing speed has already been sped up.
This so that it doesn't take ages just to load "HELLO!" unto the screen xD

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 16, 2018, 04:50:03 pm »
Now that looks awesome ShadowOne!
Trust in the Heart of the Cards

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 16, 2018, 05:32:12 pm »
I just tried the latest patch and it would seem nothing was changed. Did you link the wrong patch or make a mistake in making it?

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 16, 2018, 05:35:47 pm »
I just tried the latest patch and it would seem nothing was changed. Did you link the wrong patch or make a mistake in making it?
It might have been a mistake on my part.
Could you try again?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9nvida92kyh5svj/Zelda2Redux.ips?dl=0

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 16, 2018, 10:42:14 pm »
It might have been a mistake on my part.
Could you try again?

Cool. It's working great now. The fast text is nice, though the spacing between lines is a little too tight. Maybe a pixel or two space might look better, unless it's for other reasons, like fixing up the translation. 

It felt satisfying yet surprising to kill a Bubble with ease. The hearts look great.

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 17, 2018, 06:51:54 am »
@ShadowOne - With your update to the dialog box, I'm hoping I can create some better messages than those default messages. BTW, I haven't tried those pallette color changes yet, but  I will try tonight and let you know if that was the right location.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 17, 2018, 09:59:48 am »
unless it's for other reasons, like fixing up the translation.
That's exactly the main reason why I wanted to get this working, and thanks to the great help of Trax now it's possible :)
Now I can repoint the text and rework the translation to better fit a more adequate localization.
Bagu will be Bug and I may keep the Error guy too, because those are as iconic as they get :P
But the rest of the text might see a lift-up in translation.

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #148 on: May 20, 2018, 08:51:18 pm »
Rodimus. It's impossible to change the distance between lines of text, because they are part of the background, and background tiles are layered out as a matrix of 8x8 pixels tiles. There is no "in-between".

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 21, 2018, 09:55:09 am »
Rodimus. It's impossible to change the distance between lines of text, because they are part of the background, and background tiles are layered out as a matrix of 8x8 pixels tiles. There is no "in-between".

Oh ok. I wasn't aware but I was merely pointing it out how it looks visually speaking. Either way, it's awesome that this game will get the TLC it so rightly deserves.

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 21, 2018, 12:59:43 pm »
And about the moving water and lava animations on the Overworld, is there any progress? Apparently other hacks like "Journey of a Day", "Leaf of Inertia" and "Shadow of Night" have already achieved this effect. But great work this hack too. :thumbsup:

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 21, 2018, 05:10:18 pm »
And about the moving water and lava animations on the Overworld, is there any progress? Apparently other hacks like "Journey of a Day", "Leaf of Inertia" and "Shadow of Night" have already achieved this effect. But great work this hack too. :thumbsup:
Not yet.
That's something I still haven't even looked at, not attempted in any way.
That and the possible restoration of the Dragon Quest reference are still way down in the list of things to do, and perhaps even need help with, but we'll see :)

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 22, 2018, 08:02:32 am »
Not yet.
That's something I still haven't even looked at, not attempted in any way.
That and the possible restoration of the Dragon Quest reference are still way down in the list of things to do, and perhaps even need help with, but we'll see :)

I know you said you were planning to reach out to JaSp outside of RHDN to see how to do it. It would be pretty cool to see how it's done.

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #153 on: May 22, 2018, 05:16:40 pm »
Jeez, you would have quite a long list to work through. I was surprised that even with having such a long list of things to add that you added in this text box fix that I hadn't even considered. Additional lines of fast loading dialog will make a lot of difference in the future of this hack. You can actually write a bit of story. Are you able to have multiple text boxes in succession so you could have a character of importance actually tell you a lengthy story? If so I have a lot of suggestions that could really make a difference in game. I'm glad either way that you're tackling the foundation of the game early on. It'll make things easier in the long run.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 24, 2018, 09:56:54 am »
I know you said you were planning to reach out to JaSp outside of RHDN to see how to do it. It would be pretty cool to see how it's done.
I did try to reach him through an email I found in one of the sites linked to him, though I am not sure if he checks the mail often, nor if he still has that account.
Do you have any other idea as to where I could contact him?

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 24, 2018, 05:41:59 pm »
Unfortunately know. Trax or IcePenguin might know. I'm trying to go through the code of Shadow Of Night to see if there are any clues there. You, Trax, Njosro, IcePenguin are much better than me. Maybe you can figure something out looking through the code for Shadow Of Night.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 25, 2018, 09:55:55 pm »
Oh well, if someone knows a way to contact him, please tell me so through PM.
This last week has been somewhat slow on this project because work's got me by the ballz, but after this Saturday things should resume to a stable basis :P

I am currently working on two hacking projects, this and another one
The other one I haven't mentioned publicly yet, and that one has seen priority due to a recent development made past month, which opened up the doors to the project I had in mind for years which can now become a reality.

I will still continue with this one here and there, so expect sporadic updates on this one :)
Next up should be enemies, right now I am thinking on adding Experience points to all enemies, even those that do not give you anything in vanilla Zelda II (though they will still give low Exp), so now killing enemies should not feel as meh as before.

Right now only the Bubbles and the Mother Fokka's have been edited to make the way through them a more enjoyable experience, and if you guys have any suggestions, drop them here, and I'll take them into consideration for rebalancing :)

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 25, 2018, 10:27:56 pm »
Oh well, if someone knows a way to contact him, please tell me so through PM.
This last week has been somewhat slow on this project because work's got me by the ballz, but after this Saturday things should resume to a stable basis :P

I am currently working on two hacking projects, this and another one
The other one I haven't mentioned publicly yet, and that one has seen priority due to a recent development made past month, which opened up the doors to the project I had in mind for years which can now become a reality.

I will still continue with this one here and there, so expect sporadic updates on this one :)
Next up should be enemies, right now I am thinking on adding Experience points to all enemies, even those that do not give you anything in vanilla Zelda II (though they will still give low Exp), so now killing enemies should not feel as meh as before.

Right now only the Bubbles and the Mother Fokka's have been edited to make the way through them a more enjoyable experience, and if you guys have any suggestions, drop them here, and I'll take them into consideration for rebalancing :)

I'm working on a new Zelda 2 project myself. I also have another game I'm going to start on shortly. I do have an idea or 2 for you, but I'll pm those to you.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 28, 2018, 02:09:39 pm »
Quick question, ultimaweapon.

I'm going through the enemy attribute tables, editing both the Experience steal and Experience points bits, but I can't remember at the moment...
Do I need to edit something else in order to have the proper Experience points show up when you kill the enemy?
I can't recall at the moment.

I haven't finished the table yet, so I haven't looked into it, but it struck me as I was going through it.

EDIT:
Huh well, from what I can tell I think you don't need to edit the Experience points, as long as you are going for Exp amounts that are already found in the game.

So with that said, here's a new patch:

This one should have all enemies give out some amount of Exp, even the most dull ones.
I would need some testing here for enemies found in Palaces, as I feel some of them might require an additional Exp boost than what I gave them.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 03:10:27 pm by ShadowOne333 »

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #159 on: May 29, 2018, 02:12:12 am »
The answer is in Bank 7 :

Code: [Select]
1DD4C: Table for Enemy Experience Tile Mapping Codes (2 * 10 = 20 bytes)

F5 = Nothing
A0 = 10
A2 = 5
A4 = 2
A6 = 7
60 = 3
6C = 15
9C = 0
9E = 00

F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 A4 60 A2 A6 A0 6C A4 60 A2 A6 A0
F5 A4 60 A2 A0 9C 9C 9C 9C 9C 9C 9E 9E 9E 9E 9E

First row for the left tile, and the second row for the right tile. So yes, you have to change the tile mappings if you want the correct digits to show up. As long as all your types of experience can be built with these tiles, you're okay. If I recall correctly, the Japanese version has a "1 point" experience code, but doesn't have the "7" digit tile.